DH's BIG question

zurmoly

Z, I believe I know which race you are referring to. The Daytona 500! I too would like to know. I believe this race is going to be broadcast on Fox. I have heard of the CB broadcasting sporting events from ABC and ESPN but not sure about any other networks.

Bill

I'd bet on it...(and know guys who probably already have)

Best bet (for being able to view it anyway) would be to get to the cruise director or assistant asap when you get on board.

They can pull a whole lot more signals off those satellites than I would have thought possible. I read an article about another cruise line's programming and all they go through to get what is often a little regarded feature of cruising, your stateroom tv, to work at sea.

I think they probably CAN its more a matter if IF they do...and if they know you want it chances are you can find it someplace.

I know that on our Star Princess cruise they showed the World Series, every game, in Club Fusion (where the Vista Lounge is on the Star). Monday Night Football shows up at Movies Under The Stars on the Caribbean Princess.

Let them know you want it, chances are they can get it

Chris is right. I forgot about reading that the World Series, which was on FOX, was broadcast on the ship. That tells me that they can broadcast FOX and if they did the World Series, I will bet you an adult beverage that the race will be on the MUTS as we head to St Thomas. And if all else fails, I will bring my remote control from home and when no one is looking I personally will change the station :D .

Bill

We saw the Super Bowl, broadcast on Fox, on the Grand a couple years ago, so I agree that they have the capability. I've read lots of reports that the ships do try to offer the big events, and the Daytona 500 would certainly qualify for that. Good luck -- I know from my own household how important the big sports events are.

The thing I want to know is, who gets control of the clicker during the commercials? To make it even more like home, non-racing-fan spouses should come by regularly and ask, "Is this all you plan to do today, just lay on the couch?" The proper response is, "Since you're up, get me another beer." :D

...And if all else fails, I will bring my remote control from home and when no one is looking I personally will change the station :D .

Bill

You can do that?

I know a few people around here that would be hitting the OFF button while I was flipping through looking for CSI:Caribbean!

I'd suggest you don't watch the 500 unless your a Rusty Wallace # 2 fan because he's going to win it in his last attempt before retiring.

:D

GOOD LUCK!! I see either Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson in the lead this year. (Amazes me how people don't like Jeff....just because he's a great driver.)

Hope that they show the race!!!!:D

DH??? Dear, dumb, whatever..(only kidding) I think the Daytona is on the week before we cruise..(Feb17th) but DEAR H likes to watch every one of them. He likes all the drivers. I would think the sports bar would be the place. I just wondered if any other fans had the chance to watch while sailing..AND

HE WILL HAVE THE CLICKER.

Cruise News Daily had an article about this not too long ago. Essentially, the broadcast signals are downloaded off of a satellite. There are several different broadcast satellites so that if the TV signal is pointed to one for an event, then that changes the other options available to those who don't want to watch that event. Also, there are legal and financial issues.

You mention the advertising -- if something is broadcast with ads, then the actors in the ads get paid. Not only Actors Equity but broadcast rights need to be paid and sometimes, that can add up to major $$$. It gets pretty complicated, and expensive, which is why the variety we're used to seeing on cable TV isn't available on cruises and one shouldn't assume or expect an event to be broadcast.

I am so glad we are on the Star without MUTS over the Daytona 500. The last thing I want to see on a cruise is a race!
Amen brother. I’m sorry, even though I've been harrassed over my MUTS opinions here - and told I’m abnormal - I will again say that I just don’t get it. “What did you do on vacation?” “I watched ____” (insert NASCAR, Monday Night Football, etc.). I like to come home from vacation with some nice memories, some new experiences and some thing to tell my friends about. NASCAR doesn’t do it – no matter how novel it is to watch it on a big screen TV attached to the funnel of a ship. Cars expending great amounts of fossil fuels going around in circles. Some people just don’t know what they're missing.

It always amazes how these threads will spin-off in the "wrong" direction or rather one that was not originally intended by the poster...almost as if it has a life of it's own!

If your DH is a NASCAR fan and want's to watch their biggest race of the year,the "Superbowl" of it's sport,so be it,that is his right and more power to him if it is available on the ship which by the way,it probably will be.

NASCAR isn't my bag but I understand it may be big to others.To the poster who mentioned "Cars expending great amounts of fossil fuel going around in circles" is entiled to their opinion but I suggest they stay away from an NHRA drag race where two top fuel cars on a single run will burn about 16-20 gallons of nitromethane in approximately 4.45 seconds at well over 330 MPH.

A waste yes but something that must be experienced to be believed...

A waste yes but something that must be experienced to be believed...

I'm not a drag racing fan but I do agree that is something that needs to be experienced first hand to believe. I could do without the watering eyes from the nitro though.

Scott

Archived