Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hvala (thank you), it is great when to hear how much you enjoyed my home. Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art and so special for me. Want to learn more about the old town, just follow my personal blog. I write about my love affair with the area, the historical sites and our cultural sites. I have not even begin to scratch the surface, much more to come. one of my favorite sites in the old town is the Dominican, next story.

Come back next year, you have only seen a few sites, there are many more.

Dubrovniktravelady,

When I first started researching for the trip, I came across your personal blog and loved your writings. The story about your dad and how your parents met was so romantic. The day we visited, I was telling someone around the fountain about you and your wonderful stories. Now that I have visited your home, I think I will go back and reread your entire blog as it will even be more meaningful. I look forward to your next story about Dominican. By the way what a great description of your city as a piece of work of art--so true! We are looking forward to visiting next year.

Hvala,

Sherrie

• 3 weeks later...
Hvala (thank you), it is great when to hear how much you enjoyed my home. Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art and so special for me. Want to learn more about the old town, just follow my personal blog. I write about my love affair with the area, the historical sites and our cultural sites. I have not even begin to scratch the surface, much more to come. one of my favorite sites in the old town is the Dominican, next story.

Come back next year, you have only seen a few sites, there are many more.

Sorry, I have not read the whole thread so i apologize if it has been posted earlier. Can you post the link to you blog.

Hvala

• 4 weeks later...
We'll be returning to Dubrovnik next week and I would like to ride the cable car for the view.

My wife would be very reluctant to join me. Out of necessity, she did overcome her fears and rode the cable car at Santorini. Are they in any way comparable?

Alternatively, is there a suitable place at or near the base station where she could wait while I indulge myself? Something like a cafe would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have an extreme fear of heights. I even tense up watching movies - gripping anything nearby, planting my feet firmly on the floor/ground, etc. - can't get past the 2nd step on a ladder. With that said - I did ride the cable car with the support of my friends. They sat me in the corner seat - I literally wrapped my arms around the chair rail. Turned on my camera and stared at the scenery through the display of the camera -the depth of perception is sooooooooo much less looking at the camera view - it worked! Just don't take your eyes off the camera view.

Granted - getting on and off the cable car was a little more frightening - I had to stare at the back of my friends head until seated - may look a bit strange to any onlookers - but I'm at the point in my life that there are things I want to see and do that this is not my concern. Also the cable car conductors (right terminology?) also seem to be quite well in going along with the riders with the "fear of heights" situation and being supportive. You might want her to give it a try-she may want to give it a try. There is also a little cafe at the top.

Gorgeous views from above. Many different viewing areas. Well worth the trip. Would I do it again? - in a heartbeat.

Flying - that's a totally different game!

Just realized this was post is too late to aid norski and his wife - hopefully it can help someone else?

Edited by swedie

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning Dubrovniktravelady,

Hope you're enjoying a great cup of coffee as you answer questions. Today we began serious research for our Barcelona to Venice repo on the Norwegian Jade.

Thanks to the nearly 50 pps. I read through today, I clicked on the link you provided and found the Jade is the only large ship on Apr. 24 with a few very small ships. From your description, Apr. seems to hold promise of decent weather with fewer visitors. On top of it, we will be blessed with a Croatian Hotel Dir. so that should add a lot, too.

From one of your May 2011 posts, you mention the Jade tendering into the old town and it being only a few mins. walk to where we would like to go to do part of the wall and some of the other things you mention like the monastery or Rupe Museum. Tks for you suggestions!

When I look on the cruise schedule, however, it indicates Berth 11 which another poster mentions as Gruz. Could you pls clarify where the Jade will be?

We normally don't stop for a sit down lunch when we're touring but the grilled squid you mention does sound tempting. The ground lamb dish you mentioned also sounds great. Is it possible to have a fairly quick lunch to combine the historical interests with some culinary treat? Or since lunch is the main meal, is it a multi-course affair?

Thanks again!:)

Good morning Dubrovniktravelady' date='

Hope you're enjoying a great cup of coffee as you answer questions. Today we began serious research for our Barcelona to Venice repo on the Norwegian Jade.

Thanks to the nearly 50 pps. I read through today, I clicked on the link you provided and found the Jade is the only large ship on Apr. 24 with a few very small ships. From your description, Apr. seems to hold promise of decent weather with fewer visitors. On top of it, we will be blessed with a Croatian Hotel Dir. so that should add a lot, too.

From one of your May 2011 posts, you mention the Jade tendering into the old town and it being only a few mins. walk to where we would like to go to do part of the wall and some of the other things you mention like the monastery or Rupe Museum. Tks for you suggestions!

When I look on the cruise schedule, however, it indicates Berth 11 which another poster mentions as Gruz. Could you pls clarify where the Jade will be?

We normally don't stop for a sit down lunch when we're touring but the grilled squid you mention does sound tempting. The ground lamb dish you mentioned also sounds great. Is it possible to have a fairly quick lunch to combine the historical interests with some culinary treat? Or since lunch is the main meal, is it a multi-course affair?

Thanks again!:)[/quote']

It appears the Jade will now be at dock in the Gruz harbor. Check with NCL to see if they are offering a shuttle service to the old town. Taxi fare is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros, yes taxi drivers will accept Euros. Shops and restaurants are hit or miss for Euros, it is best to get some Kuna from any of the ATM machines located all over the old town. Do not use the banks or private exchange houses, best rate is always the ATM.

April weather can be sunny or wet and windy, last year we had a very long hot summer season which began much later in June. Who knows these days?

The lamb dish is a 24 hour advance reservation and requires a minimum of 4 adults. You will not find it on the everyday menu. Sure you can have a quick lunch, but it is our main meal and I have often spent 3 hours enjoying a great meal with guests. Grilled baby Adriatic squid is one of my favorites as well as Cipacici. Food is cooked to order, nothing is precooked thus the reason lunch takes a bit of time. Most restaurants have only ala carte menus, you can order just one dish or make multi dish - up to you.

Drinking my second cup of coffee or rocket fuel as my niece describes it. Our coffee is strong and stronger - very much a part of our tradition of "taking coffee" with friends after work.

Locals tend not to move quickly, we can spend hours watching the crowds and chatting. I always spend a good hour after visiting the green market in early morning with friends over a leisurely cup of Makiato.

Go slowly and enjoy the many hidden gems Dubrovnik has to offer...you may decide to come back for a longer holiday.

I think Jade is there on the 25th with three small ships. On the 24th Marina is the only ship there. (We'll be on it!)

Yes, you are right....typing too fast, I guess. I did check all our other ports and we are really very lucky with our itinerary and it looks like Jade will be the only big lady in town.:)

The small ships will be OK - I think there are fewer than 50 on one of them.

Have fun the day before and keep that wall in good shape.;)

Dubrovniklady, thanks for the info. I have some euros left from the Silhouette's transatlantic so just may use some of them up.:D

They must know exactly how to cut that squid so that it's so delicious and not rubbery or chewy. Some countries know how to do it right.:D:D

Yes' date=' you are right....typing too fast, I guess. I did check all our other ports and we are really very lucky with our itinerary and it looks like Jade will be the only big lady in town.:)

The small ships will be OK - I think there are fewer than 50 on one of them.

Have fun the day before and keep that wall in good shape.;)

Dubrovniklady, thanks for the info. I have some euros left from the Silhouette's transatlantic so just may use some of them up.:D

They must know exactly how to cut that squid so that it's so delicious and not rubbery or chewy. Some countries know how to do it right.:D:D[/quote']

Take note about the port authority website, it may not yet be complete! Keep checking your arrival date to see if additional ships have been added. Last February I downloaded the entire season, October had a total count of 167,000. By June the total had grown to 187,000 for the same month - be prepared for changes.

Squid in Croatia is not served as they do in other countries, here they serve it as one entire piece. Our baby squid is not chewy or rubbery at all and oh so good. We also have some other lovely white fish, again be prepared for the whole fish - head included.

You can always ask your server to have the cook remove the head before served if you are a bit uncomfortable with the eyes staring at you - chuckle. I have finally gotten used to it, but I do rip that head off immediately, my friends laugh at me often.

Enjoy your day here.

I understand that a taxi from the cruise port to Pile Gate costs 10€. Is it possible to take the taxi from the port directly to the cable car entrance and if so, do you know the cost?

Would it also be walkable from the cable car back to Pile Gate or would it be better to enter the city at the North Gate?

Thanks

I understand that a taxi from the cruise port to Pile Gate costs 10€. Is it possible to take the taxi from the port directly to the cable car entrance and if so, do you know the cost?

Would it also be walkable from the cable car back to Pile Gate or would it be better to enter the city at the North Gate?

Thanks

Yes a taxi driver will take you to the cable car entrance. However you need to understand that many of our streets are one way and he is going to deviate the road to get you there. Cost should not be much more, you need only to ask the driver the cost.

DO NOT try to enter the old town from the north gate (Buza gate). You will climb down far too many small steps to reach the Stradun, our main promenade. From the cable car, walk down the steps to the road, turn left and walk to the Ploce entrance. Easy stroll into the old town.

Enjoy your time here.

Yes a taxi driver will take you to the cable car entrance. However you need to understand that many of our streets are one way and he is going to deviate the road to get you there. Cost should not be much more, you need only to ask the driver the cost.

DO NOT try to enter the old town from the north gate (Buza gate). You will climb down far too many small steps to reach the Stradun, our main promenade. From the cable car, walk down the steps to the road, turn left and walk to the Ploce entrance. Easy stroll into the old town.

Enjoy your time here.

Thank you very much for for sharing your knowledge and your kind advice.

We normally don't stop for a sit down lunch when we're touring but the grilled squid you mention does sound tempting. The ground lamb dish you mentioned also sounds great. Is it possible to have a fairly quick lunch to combine the historical interests with some culinary treat? Or since lunch is the main meal' date=' is it a multi-course affair?

Thanks again!:)[/quote'] Food to eat on the move, Burek, Pljeskavica(the original burger) or Cevapcici in a Lepinja Bun both smeared with Ajvar. Be careful of the fish it costs and it mainly out of the freezer, squid and octopus are better if frozen.

Cakes ect to enjoy with coffee Dobos Torte,Krem Pita and if you like a crepe look for Palacinke.

Ps 12" of snow fell in Split yesterday, they are having the worst weather since !971 and the Bura is blowing. -20c above Drnis.

Hello Dubrovniklady, I hope that the weather in your area turns for the better very soon. With all this snow, are there fears of floods when the thawing starts? Good luck to you all.

Dubrovnik only had one night of snow, it has melted. Now it is just cold and wet. Further north is having significant snow and winds. We may have some later next week, but it normally melts very quickly. This is my second snow in the past 4 years, prior it had been close to 20 years since Dubrovnik had snow. Wish it had come for Christmas!

Thank you for your kind message.

• 2 weeks later...

What a fabulous and informative thread. Thank you to Dubrovniktravelady for her patience and expertise in answering everyone's questions.

On the wall walk. If we enter at the Pile Gate, then walk along the water side, then leave the wall to visit the Maritime Museum can we then go back up to the wall to continue the wall walk?

Thank you and we are greatly looking forward to viviting Dubrovnik.

What a fabulous and informative thread. Thank you to Dubrovniktravelady for her patience and expertise in answering everyone's questions.

On the wall walk. If we enter at the Pile Gate, then walk along the water side, then leave the wall to visit the Maritime Museum can we then go back up to the wall to continue the wall walk?

Thank you and we are greatly looking forward to viviting Dubrovnik.

Yes you can visit the Maritime, it is part of the wall and you have not yet really exited the walk way at that point. Be prepared if you do continue the rest of the wall, it is the most difficult part with the majority of steps all climbing upward to the high point Minceta Tower. Make sure you have your ticket with you at all times, there are several control stations along the walk.

There will be a small fee for the Maritime, but we still have not heard if prices are increasing this year. Stay posted for more info.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Yes you can visit the Maritime, it is part of the wall and you have not yet really exited the walk way at that point. Be prepared if you do continue the rest of the wall, it is the most difficult part with the majority of steps all climbing upward to the high point Minceta Tower. Make sure you have your ticket with you at all times, there are several control stations along the walk.

There will be a small fee for the Maritime, but we still have not heard if prices are increasing this year. Stay posted for more info.

Thank you for the reply. I will continue to follow this thread with great interest!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Dubrovnik on April 24 from noon until 11pm. What is there to do in the evening? Assuming the weather is good, is there an interesting sunset? Anything else you would recommend? (Dinner, of course. But we are not gourmets, so will likely search out something good but cheap!)

This is where we sit down to eat very good Burek, Pljeskavica with Kaymak etc. Nothing is cheap in Dub, the skill is to get good value for money.

http://tajmahaldubrovnik.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=157&lang=en

Ps dont eat the Tulumba unless you want to become addicted.

Edited by Keel Haul

I would like to confirm that Bosnian cousine has been deeply accepted among us locals. It's delicious. Cevapcici is Bosnian food, but we accepted it as our own. It's been served in almost every Croatian restaurant for 40 years.

Keel Haul, can you help with pronunaciaton? Che-wap-chee-chee? :lol

Edited by Daniela32

We will be in Dubrovnik on October the 7th of this year and I saw on the port schedule there will be over 10,000 other people in port with us. Am I reading the schedule correctly? http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

If so we'll definitely but looking for something to do outside of town. Can someone recommend maybe a park in the area with hiking trails? Would we need to rent a car to do something like that? Or is it possible to take public transit? Any other suggestions on places not too far away to helps escape the crowds?

We may still want to walk the wall before heading out or after our return. Can someone tell me if the wall is generally less crowded in the morning or afternoon?

Thanks!

We will be in Dubrovnik on October the 7th of this year and I saw on the port schedule there will be over 10,000 other people in port with us. Am I reading the schedule correctly? http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

If so we'll definitely but looking for something to do outside of town. Can someone recommend maybe a park in the area with hiking trails? Would we need to rent a car to do something like that? Or is it possible to take public transit? Any other suggestions on places not too far away to helps escape the crowds?

We may still want to walk the wall before heading out or after our return. Can someone tell me if the wall is generally less crowded in the morning or afternoon?

Thanks!

Cavtat http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/why-croatias-cavtat-is-a-pearl-in-its-own-right-446461.html

I would like to confirm that Bosnian cousine has been deeply accepted among us locals. It's delicious. Cevapcici is Bosnian food, but we accepted it as our own. It's been served in almost every Croatian restaurant for 40 years.

Keel Haul, can you help with pronunaciaton? Che-wap-chee-chee? :lol

yes okay its De-lic-ious. We drive from Split to Cavtat most years and stop in Neum to have lunch, the key to good che-wap or pljeskavica is the lepinja and ajvar.The Bosnians may claim Che-Wap but without the Ottomans it would not exist.

Burek is my fav breakfast but Paski Sir and Drnis Prsut with wild figs and a few shots of travarica is also hard to beat.

That looks like a nice option, thank you! I did notice that the bus from Dubrovnik to Cavtat does not run on Sunday which is the day we are going to be there.

I could not make out the ferry schedule :o Do you know if it runs regularly in October on Sundays?

Thanks for any help you can offer!