Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravelady: Firstly, I would like to thank you for all of the time & effort you put in to this thread. It is greatly appreciated & extremely informative. I have spent the last hour attempting to soak in as much information as possible for our upcoming trip.

I apologize ahead of time, as I am sure my questions will be redundant, but it's our first time in Europe, so I want to make sure I have all of my facts.

We are scheduled to arrive on the Ruby Princess on Saturday, August 31st between 7am-5pm. We would like to take public transport to get to Dubrovnik's Old Town (do you know what bus # gets us there?). I would love to be able to walk the entire wall (not just sea side). I would also love to be able to explore as much as possible without rushing through things & still enjoy a sit-down lunch somewhere in the area. Can you please write down step by step what/where you reccommend we go in order to make this day as productive as possible?

I must admit, I am slightly confused as to the different entrances & exits (although your map is very helpful). Assuming we take public transport (bus) from the port, which gate do we start from? Will this entrance allow us to walk the entire wall? Are we able to walk down, explore some of the Old Town then walk back up the walls?

Thanking you in advance for your continued advice!

The wall walk is amazing,especially the sea side. You will view the old part of town, many rooftops, the sea and outlying areas. Use your limited wisely, walk the sea side, come down and enjoy the old town. The shops, museums, our monasteries and mingle with our local residents. Just doing the wall and missing the town would be a shame, there is so much to see within the wall.

This answered part of my question. So we will walk the wall seaside & therefore will have time to walk within Old Town to visit shops, stop for lunch etc..

I still need to know how to get there by bus, which entrance would be closest & where you recommend we walk down to explore Duborvnik's Old Town.

Thanks again!!

We were in Dubrovnik in June this year and took a taxi from the rank at the bus station which is adjacent to the dock. We went to the old town but the driver offered us a panoramic tour if we wished and his and all the taxis at that rank had the price clearly marked on their vehicles. (50 euros I think), On previous occasions we took a taxi from outside the ship itself but don't know if they offered the panoramic tour. We have always found the taxi drivers to be friendly and helpful. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the up to date information.

Dubrovniktravelady: Firstly, I would like to thank you for all of the time & effort you put in to this thread. It is greatly appreciated & extremely informative. I have spent the last hour attempting to soak in as much information as possible for our upcoming trip.

I apologize ahead of time, as I am sure my questions will be redundant, but it's our first time in Europe, so I want to make sure I have all of my facts.

We are scheduled to arrive on the Ruby Princess on Saturday, August 31st between 7am-5pm. We would like to take public transport to get to Dubrovnik's Old Town (do you know what bus # gets us there?). I would love to be able to walk the entire wall (not just sea side). I would also love to be able to explore as much as possible without rushing through things & still enjoy a sit-down lunch somewhere in the area. Can you please write down step by step what/where you reccommend we go in order to make this day as productive as possible?

I must admit, I am slightly confused as to the different entrances & exits (although your map is very helpful). Assuming we take public transport (bus) from the port, which gate do we start from? Will this entrance allow us to walk the entire wall? Are we able to walk down, explore some of the Old Town then walk back up the walls?

Thanking you in advance for your continued advice!

This answered part of my question. So we will walk the wall seaside & therefore will have time to walk within Old Town to visit shops, stop for lunch etc..

I still need to know how to get there by bus, which entrance would be closest & where you recommend we walk down to explore Duborvnik's Old Town.

Thanks again!!

First, how big is your family or group? The fastest, easiest, and if your group is 3 or 4 anyhow, cheapest way to get to Stari Grad is via taxi. I personally wouldn't bother with either the bus (too much hassle and you likely need Kuna!) or the ship shuttle (total rip-off).

Second, you didn't mention the cable car, but if you want to do this, I'd do it first and take the taxi to the cable car station (probably 15 Euros). Then afterwards, walk down to the Ploce gate and start your walk on the city walls there. If you don't want to walk the full perimeter of the city walls, you can walk or taxi to the Pile gate and just walk 1/2 or less of the walls (mostly seaside) from there. FYI, our family of four has done the city walls twice now in about an hour and a half (give or take 15 minutes). Assuming you make it all the away around to (or near) Ploce again, you would drop down into south end of old town. You can then have lunch, sightsee, and shop along the Stradun toward Pile. From there you can catch a taxi back to the ship (10 Euros). All the cabs are just waiting for you outside of Pile Gate. And finally, will you need Kuna and when do you plan to get it?

Edited by Terpnut

Can you take a taxi to the top of mountain instead of cable car? My husband has a fear of cable cars?

And if so the approximate cost from walled city or port.

Thanks

Your husband is not going to like the goat path which we call a road. He would be better off going on the 4 minute ride on the cable car, it is not anything near as frightening as the car ride.

This is for Dubrovniklady:

We are looking to rent a car and travel outside of Dubrovnik as this will be our 2nd time visiting Dubrovnik . We are in port Sunday ,9/22 from 11:30-6:30 . Do you have somewhere you would recommend for us to see and go.

Thank you for any suggestions!

For such a limited time here, I would not bother with a car rental. Take the small ferry boat from the old port to Cavtat and enjoy the small town with the magnificent waterfront.

Drivers here are insane, they drive far too fast and pass on blind curves. More than just frightening!

I can walk from one end of town, Pile to Ploce, in 15 minutes. The old part of town is small, but very crowded.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I think I wasn't specific in my original question. What I meant to ask was how long does it take to walk The Wall from the Pile entrance to Maritime Museum exit vs the Ploce exit. I am planning my afternoon to see if I should get off at Maritime Museum or walk all the way to Ploce exit.

Thanks

First I'd like to thank Dubrovniktravelady for all of her info. Dubrovnik and Split were two of my favorite stops. We were there October 30th, 2011. We used the ship's shuttle to get to the Pile gate for the convenience. I'm not in the best of shape and I was concerned about all the steps but I was determined to do it. The views were fabulous. The views of the wall and the old city were great. You can look into peoples back yards while on the wall. You could almost reach out and pick the oranges that grew inside the walls. It was warm but not hot, perfect weather to do the walls. We then headed down to the Stradun and wandered around the shops. We lunched at Arka just off the Stradun, very good and reasonable price. My wife had grilled fish and potatoes while I had a platter with a variety of seafood. We really enjoyed Croatia and would like to go back for a longer visit. There was an episode on House Hunters International about Dubrovnik and it brought back pleasant memories.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I think I wasn't specific in my original question. What I meant to ask was how long does it take to walk The Wall from the Pile entrance to Maritime Museum exit vs the Ploce exit. I am planning my afternoon to see if I should get off at Maritime Museum or walk all the way to Ploce exit.

Thanks

I can cover that distance quickly in 20 min or 35 at a more leisurely pace. Ploce gate is perhaps another 15-25 min. I'm reasonably fit and am a fairly fast walker. Edited by Terpnut

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks

I think you could walk it in 30 minutes. It took us a little over an hour at a liesurely pace, stopping to take in the views and take pictues.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks

Walk to Ploce exit, the views of the old port are wonderful. Should take about 10 minutes.

Hang in with me, my American laptop has died and I am trying to type on my neighbor's with his foreign keyboard. sorry for the typos and spelling and understand I will only be online about every 5 days or so. New laptop will arrive here on 07 Oct and I will be up and running as soon as I figure out windows 8.

Everyone have a great week...

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Walk to Ploce exit, the views of the old port are wonderful. Should take about 10 minutes.

Hang in with me, my American laptop has died and I am trying to type on my neighbor's with his foreign keyboard. sorry for the typos and spelling and understand I will only be online about every 5 days or so. New laptop will arrive here on 07 Oct and I will be up and running as soon as I figure out windows 8.

Everyone have a great week...

I'm subscribing to this thread now, so it will pop up automatically when you are back on line with your new computer. I've done a little bit of reading, but since we won't be in Dubrovnik until next June, I have lots of time to research and eventually pick your brain. I already know more by reading the little bit than what I knew two days ago. :D

Sadly I am only in port from 8:00 till 1:00. I am not sure when we will be able to get off the ship and I think we should be back on board by 12:30. How long will it take to get into town by a taxi ?

I would love to do a 10:00 1 1/2 hr city tour and also walk the wall, but am worried I will not be able to do both. If I had to choose, would it make more sense to do a 9:30 wall tour for 1 1/2 hr and then do the city on my own. I am afraid of doing the wall after and running into a problem getting back to the ship.

Any feedback is appreciated.

There are 6 in our group that will be in Dubrovnik on 20/9/13.We need to get from the port to the lift. 6 will not fit in a Taxi so do you have any suggestions? Have tried to find a van service with no success. 2 Taxis,bus, link to van service???????:confused::eek::rolleyes:

There are 6 in our group that will be in Dubrovnik on 20/9/13.We need to get from the port to the lift. 6 will not fit in a Taxi so do you have any suggestions? Have tried to find a van service with no success. 2 Taxis,bus, link to van service???????:confused::eek::rolleyes:
Definitely go with two taxis because taxis are plentiful, and they're quick, cheap and reliable. Bus and van service are too much hassle and take up too much time. And if you are really on a budget, I recommend you grab any two passengers who happen to be debarking at the same time as your party, put four to a taxi and split the costs accordingly. Win-win. This is what we do all the time. Edited by Terpnut

DubrovnikTravelLady.

I've read all of this thread and to be honest these's so much information I've tied myself in knots.

I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to advice me on the following.

Myself and DW are in Dubrovnik next Sunday from 7AM till 7PM. I am planning to do: -

Taxi to the cable car. (Will they accept Euros?)

Up the cable car, admire the views etc. return down the cable car.

Walk to the old town, have a look around and grab a spot of lunch.

Walk the walls

Taxi back to the ship.

Will that be possible on a Sunday? For example will there be fewer taxis about or will cafès restaurants be closed.

Thanks in advance.