Bayside Marketplace Dinner Suggestions?

erries

I'm sailing out of Miami on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas on May 16 (this Saturday!), and my group is going down from the day before. We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown, which I understand is within easy walking distance of Bayside Marketplace. Our plan is to arrive and check into the hotel, drop off our stuff, and walk to Bayside for dinner.

If you've been there before, do you have any suggestions for dinner? We'll be in and out of planes and airports all day, so it would be nice to have a sit-down dinner rather than a fast food or food court type meal. However, we don't want something extremely expensive! I read a review here on CC that mentioned going to the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., which turned out to be much more expensive than the reviewer expected, even though half the group only got burgers. So we don't want something that's going to be too expensive (say, $20 pp or cheaper?), but we don't want to go to McDonald's. ;)

Suggestions? Also, if you know of a good place that's nearby but not necessarily part of Bayside Marketplace specifically, that's cool too. I'm open to anything, as long as it's within walking distance, so we don't have to deal with the hassle of getting a taxi.

Thanks!

Erica

I'm sailing out of Miami on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas on May 16 (this Saturday!), and my group is going down from the day before. We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown, which I understand is within easy walking distance of Bayside Marketplace. Our plan is to arrive and check into the hotel, drop off our stuff, and walk to Bayside for dinner.

If you've been there before, do you have any suggestions for dinner? We'll be in and out of planes and airports all day, so it would be nice to have a sit-down dinner rather than a fast food or food court type meal. However, we don't want something extremely expensive! I read a review here on CC that mentioned going to the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., which turned out to be much more expensive than the reviewer expected, even though half the group only got burgers. So we don't want something that's going to be too expensive (say, $20 pp or cheaper?), but we don't want to go to McDonald's. ;)

Suggestions? Also, if you know of a good place that's nearby but not necessarily part of Bayside Marketplace specifically, that's cool too. I'm open to anything, as long as it's within walking distance, so we don't have to deal with the hassle of getting a taxi.

Thanks!

Erica

Bubba Gumps will not be under $20.00 per person. I know you mentioned you do not want to take a cab, however there is not much more within walking distance and certainly nothing under $20.00 per person in downtown Miami (which I would not recommend you walk around at night time anyways). If you change your mind and take a cab, you could go to Mary Brickell Village (5 minute cab ride away), there are several restaurants there including PF Changs, La Rosa Mexicana, etc. Some of these restaurants are more expensive, some are less, it depends on what you order.

You could also take a cab to Little Havana (short ride away) and try "Versalles", it is a great cuban restaurant, most of the dishes are all under $20.00 (some are under $10.00).

Have a great time!

We ate at Mambo Grill last month. There are plenty of choices, but DW wanted some sweet plantains. It was OK. Reasonably priced. The next morning we went back for a breakfast buffet they have. $10PP with an omelette station. We could also see the ships in port. It is what it is.

Bubba Gumps will not be under $20.00 per person. I know you mentioned you do not want to take a cab, however there is not much more within walking distance and certainly nothing under $20.00 per person in downtown Miami (which I would not recommend you walk around at night time anyways). If you change your mind and take a cab, you could go to Mary Brickell Village (5 minute cab ride away), there are several restaurants there including PF Changs, La Rosa Mexicana, etc. Some of these restaurants are more expensive, some are less, it depends on what you order.

You could also take a cab to Little Havana (short ride away) and try "Versalles", it is a great cuban restaurant, most of the dishes are all under $20.00 (some are under $10.00).

Have a great time!

The only reason I didn't want to take a cab is because I'm unfamiliar with the area and wouldn't know where to go! I just thought since Bayside was within walking distance and had some restaurant options, that'd be simpler. But like I said, I'm open to suggestions, so thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Erica

We ate at Mambo Grill last month. There are plenty of choices, but DW wanted some sweet plantains. It was OK. Reasonably priced. The next morning we went back for a breakfast buffet they have. $10PP with an omelette station. We could also see the ships in port. It is what it is.

I noticed Mambo Cafe on the Bayside website directory, but I couldn't find a website for it with a menu. Thanks for the info!

Erica

We went there the night before a cruise in November and had a really great time. We ate at the Cuban restaurant which was pretty good, had some frozen adult beverages at a Daiquiri stand and also Fat Tuesdays, went to Hooters for some beers and wings, and listened to a very fun live band. There were some neat shops and a LOTS of places to eat in all price ranges. It is certainly a touristy area, but guess what? We were tourists and loved it. It was a great way to start vacation. We stayed at the Doubletree Biscayne Bay and it was a short cab ride back. We took the "tram" down there. GF was a little uncomfortable with that though.

Thanks for posting the name - DD and I had breakfast there in April. We enjoyed the view of the ships.

We took the "tram" down there. GF was a little uncomfortable with that though.

I would not take the People Mover at night. Even during the day time, it can be "sketchy" (as my kids say). I'm not surprised your GF was uncomfortable.

OP, I would not eat at Bayside; for one thing, it will be very crowded. Take a cab elsewhere and you can stop at Bayside on your way home, if you really feel you need to do that.

If you are wanting to stay close, though, here's a link for the dining options:

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/html/mallattractions.asp

We were at Bayside Saturday, April 11 and we were very surprised how quiet it was. We got there about 7pm for dinner and walked back to the hotel at around 9PM. Very quiet for a Saturday.

Thanks!

Erica

Don't even consider Bubba Gumps. The last time we were there it was just awful. Service, food, everything was terrible.

If you are looking for inexpensive, try the Latin American Cafe at Bayside. You can dine out on the deck with lovely views of the marina. The menu is very reasonbly priced. They have great mojitos and the pitchers of Sangria are great and not expensive.

Latin American Cafe wasn't there last month when I was there. If memory serves me correct, it used to be across from the Mambo cafe. It looks like they added a third floor and are still doing renovations. They added an Argentinian steak house and some fast food type places. We saw the sign for the Latin American Cafe, but only found their small kiosk type counter for coffee and pastries.

they're still renovating, so it may still be in the works.

Thanks for the suggestions and info, everyone. We'll be there tomorrow evening; I'm so excited! When we get back from our cruise, I'll try to remember to come back here and report on wherever we ended up going for dinner at Bayside, for future reference.

Thanks,

Erica

Thanks for the suggestions and info, everyone. We'll be there tomorrow evening; I'm so excited! When we get back from our cruise, I'll try to remember to come back here and report on wherever we ended up going for dinner at Bayside, for future reference.

Thanks,

Erica

Here's a thought, I know you said you didn't want to flip around with cabs but why not hop in a taxi and go to Monty's Coconut Grove? It is on the water and they have a fabulous happy hour with half priced cocktails from 4pm-8pm.

It is something your entire crowd would really enjoy and it will definitely put you in the mood for your cruise. Sit outside and take in the view.

It is about a ten minute cab ride and a rather scenic ride.

Archived