Odyssey Veranda Suite Question

JaneBP

I agree with Host Dan. From the photos we've seen so far it looks like more than one foot high. Let's hope it's an optical illusion. If it is indeed only one foot high it should be no problem at all.

The reason I mentioned protection from sea spray is that the balconies on Deck 5 on silversea are often doused with water even when the sea is not too rough. So though we may be smart enough to stay inside when it's rough out we do want to be out there when it's not and an unwanted shower can be unpleasant.

Markham, I am also on the LA to Hong Kong segments of the world cruise. Hope to see you aboard.

Markham,

Protective coating on the clear surfaces makes alot of sense. I hope you are right! Thank you for looking into this for us. Pretty soon we will know from some of the maiden voyage passengers!

Host Dan

Host Dan,

I will be on the maiden cruise as well so I promise to give a report about this balcony business.

Regards, Steve

Thank you Steve!

Host Dan

I just got this information from one who knows! There is a picture too, most informative. I don't know how to load a photo, so will email it to Dan and hope he will post it.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Or in this case, a thousand $$.

>"There are two Balconies on both sides that are smaller than the others. The two first ones from forward.

The smallest one ( most forward deck 5 ) is 1,20 meters wide in forward part and 1,40 meters wide in aft part. Length is same as the other Balconies.

Height from teak Platform to lower part of glass under railing is appr. 0,80 meters. And yes you can see the sea from the Balcony. Please see attached picture.

PS, the person in the picture is 6foot 3" - just so you know.. :)"

Both V1 & V2 are listed with partially obstructed balconies.

NB: I am not trying to cause discontent or any such bad feelings. I just wanted the info to make my informed decisions.

Sure does. Perhaps that 1' quote is the amount of clear glass. For me, it's a deal breaker, since I am really quirky about balconies. I was prepared to live with it if the metal had been 1'.

Thanks for posting it.

JaneBP and Dan,

The data and photo make things much clearer. So much for the 1 foot claim!

The conversion from metric is 31.49 inches. This is a bit of a disappointment... I suppose that I can live with that as the alternative affording a full glass balcony, an upgrade to v3, would be a lot more money.

See you on board!

Regards, Steve

Am I missing something? I don't understand what all the fuss is about the partially obscured balcony!! When we used to have a balcony on other ships (pre-Seabourn days) they were always completely obscure (never mind partially), ie the Caronia, Seabourn Sun, Renaissance ships, etc.

Am I missing something? I don't understand what all the fuss is about the partially obscured balcony!! When we used to have a balcony on other ships (pre-Seabourn days) they were always completely obscure (never mind partially), ie the Caronia, Seabourn Sun, Renaissance ships, etc.

Hi Shelagh,

I can only speak for myself, but after ending up with one of this style balcony suite on QM2 I swore I would never book one again. (Had they disclosed the fact, I wouldn't have booked that category in the first place). I found it darkened the suite, made voices sound "tinney" outside, and when lounging there was no view of the water, just a metal wall. If I had a choice, I would take a french balcony on one of the triplets over this type balcony suite. Again, just a personal choice.

Host Dan

I don't think this balcony is as bad as the hull balconies on the QM2 where they are all metal and truly in the hull of the ship so the cabin is recessed and therefore dark. On the Odyssey the suite is more open to the sea and has some glass partitioning. I still wish someone from SB would explain why they constructed the Deck 5 balconies this way.

I can only speak for myself and I for one, will not sail in a suite with any kind of obstructed balcony. It's just my quirk and I was only trying to find out the extent of the obstruction and had several different answers from Seabourn. I would opt for a suite with a large window over an obstructed balcony.

It was certainly not my idea to cause a stir, just get the information so I could make my own personal choice. I agree, for most, it's no big deal, but for me, it is.

After all, new Seabourn cruisers often post queries about the Juliette balconies and views from the larger suites. This is not different in my opinion and I certainly did not intend to ruffle any feathers.

Has Seabourn disclosed the fact that V1 and V2 are partially obstructed?? QM2 didn't before the maiden voyage.....Host Dan

As I mentioned in my first post, it's in the small print in the catalogue and was on my booking receipt.

As I mentioned in my first post, it's in the small print in the catalogue and was on my booking receipt.

Sorry, I must have overlooked that fact....

Host Dan

Jane

On the Sister's I've enjoyed the Romeo/Juliette balconies but I've felt I actually had more space without one ~~I like the window ledge. I had a large balcony on the Prinsendam, also a nice balcony on the Radisson Diamond but these were my only experiences with a real balcony.

I'm going to check out and look at the Odyssey balconies before I book one.

MB

Right, I like the window seat as well, which is why I figured I would rather have that than the partially obstructed V1 or V2. I should think the rest of the 'usual' balconies look like the photo without the metal screen.

The only other time I had no view at all was on the Statendam in '62. We had an inside cabin and I went darn near crazy even at 18! I am a sucker for a view.

I can only speak for myself and I for one, will not sail in a suite with any kind of obstructed balcony. It's just my quirk and I was only trying to find out the extent of the obstruction and had several different answers from Seabourn. I would opt for a suite with a large window over an obstructed balcony.

It was certainly not my idea to cause a stir, just get the information so I could make my own personal choice. I agree, for most, it's no big deal, but for me, it is.

After all, new Seabourn cruisers often post queries about the Juliette balconies and views from the larger suites. This is not different in my opinion and I certainly did not intend to ruffle any feathers.

Hi Jane:

I don't think you've "ruffled any feathers" at all...in fact, you've merely helped us all understand better the "different" balcony configurations that will be available on the Odyssey. I, too, would like a "real" balcony, but, unless a gty run-of-the-ship would get me an upgrade above a V1 or V2, it's highly unlikely I'll be opting for the Odyssey anytime soon. (Of course, it's highty unlikely anyway, with the $$$s and single supplements seen to date!)

Thanks for helping "dig" out some basic, yet intriguing, information. Reports from onboard and thereafter will certainly be helpful, as well....

Paul ;)

Jane,

I agree that you may have prevented a misunderstanding for many people.In the catalog it only says, "The railings in V1 and V2 are part metal and part glass from the floor to the teak rail." Unfortunately it does not say what part nor does it specifically say that views are partially obstructed. I for one would be very disappointed had I paid for a balcony and found out once on board that my views from the suite were restricted.In fact, I have friends who are booked on the Odyssey for three weeks this fall and I am going to send them the picture that Capt. Buer sent.Good detective work!

Archived