Odyssey Veranda Suite Question

JaneBP

Has Seabourn disclosed the fact that V1 and V2 are partially obstructed?? QM2 didn't before the maiden voyage.....

Host Dan

When we booked a V2 on the Odyssey crossing it was pointed out to us that the balcony was partially obstructed so they were quite upfront about it. Maybe it's to do with the spray or having to have reinforcement at that height? Will keep you posted as to what we think!

You didn't ruffle any feathers Jane. Just wondered why it made so much difference to people? Maybe it's because I never lie in bed and look at the sea (one of your points I seem to remember). I have enough trouble trying to look at the TV from the bed never mind the sea!!

I hope everybody realises what tremendous crafts and pressure water and high seas can cause! No wonder some constructions my mean obstructions! It might be for (y)our safety!

Marja

A friend in the construction business has told me.

The lower deck balconies on Odyssey is steel and limited panzer-glass do to the construction and to protect from the sometimes rough sea (spray) at this level.:eek:

T&T

I think that this picture is of suite 502 on deck five.this will be one of thirty four suites that will have the slightly restricted metal and glass configuration.I do not see a problem as every suite on a ship is priced accordingly.Good for those folks that do not want to pay for more glass.

Is this suite 502? I think it could be instead suite 533 or 536 (looking towards the rear of the ship). Do we know for sure? I ask only because I have booked the Odyssey for a september cruise and have a V1 GTY - my TA says it has always been her experience (especially since the V1 is now wait-listed) that we will end up being upgraded - does anyone have any Seabourn experience with this? I really wanted a balcony and my TA said that the metal part was only going to be about 1 foot - seems that is the line coming from Seabourn. Clearly not the case. My concern now is that I could end up with suite 502, 503,504 or 505 with both a decreased-sized obstructed balcony. If this is 502 then the size of the balcony is not so bad. But I don't think it is. I guess I have to decide whether to pay the $400 extra and get a V3 so the balcony isn't small nor obstructed.

My suggestion is to send the photo to your TA, as I did to mine. Then there is a frame of reference. Then she can negotiate with Seabourn on your behalf. I have no idea which suite it might be.

I booked my July Odyssey cruise back in 2007 when they first started taking reservations. Soon after I booked my V1 cabin, my TA forwarded a leter from Seabourn referring to an "inadverttent error" in the balcony description in the Inaugural Season brochure in which they left out the word "partial" before glass windscreen.

This is what they said about the veranda:

"These suites (V1 and V2) have a partial glass windscreen on the veranda. The windscreen (the outer wall of the veranda) is steel on the lower portion, with a clear glass panel on top. The steel is low enough that you can see over it when seated, but it is not a full glass panel down to the deck, as on the veranda in some higher categories"

So they do say you can see over it when seated. Hope this helps.

Thanks, MarciAnn. If they had repeated this information in the following brochures, it would have solved a lot of questions. Instead, there was only a small vague print mention.

Martha, you have no idea how many people with whom I have spoken at Blue Lagoon and all had different answers. If the staff who should have known did have the information, all of this would have been immaterial. And obviously, my TA was not the onlu one who got the 'wrong' information. I am sure they were not trying to deceive anyone, just not informed.

However, yesterday all it took was a brief phone call and my booking was adjusted. It did help that my TA had the photo.

Some cruisers pay for the upgraded wine selections, I pay for the view (and the laundry service, the luggage service, and the internet).

Luggage service? Talk about OT.

Seabourn never hid the fact that V1 and V2 balconies would be partial steel. I guessed previously that the reason for that might be due to strong sea spray on a lower deck in rough seas. It could also be a construction issue. Whatever the reason that is why they are less expensive than V3 and higher. On Silversea, for example, all regular verandas regardless of deck are priced the same and all midship verandas are priced the same. Why not look at it as an opportunity to have a balcony for a slightly lower price?

After seeing the balcony picture (thanks for posting), I phoned Seabourn. I was told that I was midship in a V2 and the metal is only 1ft high. It looks higher in the picture. I was then told that if I wanted to go to a guarantee it would cost extra.

My T.A. called back for me and was told again that the balcony metal was only 1ft high. She would change me to a guarantee at no cost,but the ship is almost sold out, and I could end up in a terrible cabin. My T.A. asked the cost of an upgrade and was told $379 pp. Suddenly there were cabins!?

With the Canadian $ exchange, it's just more than I wish to pay at this time. I don't know what to do. Is a guarantee worth the risk?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

chrislcruise

I'm the CC boards # 1 member as to goin' "off topic!":confused:

So no apology necesary ~~~

As you'll receive excellent ideas and answers to your "luggage service" question please start your new thread.

Martita B.

Could it be possible that the middle portion is a protective film? The very bottom portion looks like it is a foot high. Then a middle (protctive film?) and the glass. Just a thought. Hope this is not off topic..:D

Could it be possible that the middle portion is a protective film? The very bottom portion looks like it is a foot high. Then a middle (protctive film?) and the glass. Just a thought. Hope this is not off topic..:D

Now there's an optimist!

Host Dan

>"Some cruisers pay for the upgraded wine selections, I pay for the view (and the laundry service, the luggage service, and the internet)."

I started it, quite innocently.

Archived