Triumph 05/10/09 Review With LOTS of PICS!!!

ebandive

I'm just off the Carnival Triumph to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. It was just DH and I, and our best cruise yet. Our first cruise was on the Imagination, and our previous two cruises were on RCCL. This will be a pretty detailed view with tons of pictures. If you have any questions just let me know and I'll try my best to answer them! Here we go! :D

We booked this trip about a month ago. It was a surprise from my DH... I just graduated nursing school so this was a little reward for me and a chance for us to reconnect because I've been so busy the last couple years.

I'm usually very detail oriented but didn't have a ton of time to research like I usually do. But still I had a good idea what to expect. Usually I'm packed at least a week in advance, but this time I procrastinated until the night before.

ry%3D400

We took 2 suitcases and a carry on, plus a back pack. Not too bad for 8 nights. (7 nights cruise and 1 night hotel stay)

We're from Ft. Myers, about a 2-3 hour drive to Miami. We got a great deal at La Quinta Airport East, and it was cheaper to spend the night there and keep our car at the hotel for the week than to park at the pier. Thanks to all my fellow cruise critics for pointing me in that direction!

Here is Charlie trying to figure out how to to get to the hotel.

ry%3D400

We got to La Quinta at 12:00, check-in wasn't until 1:00 but they let us check-in anyways. All that was available was a smoking room, so we took it since smoke doesn't really bother us. We only ran in for a minute then took off for downtown Miami for a friend's graduation from college. It was at the Hyatt.

The Hyatt was a gorgeous hotel, from what we saw of it. Here is the lobby.

ry%3D400

From the hotel you could see the water a few blocks away so we walked towards it to kill some time. It was a great area.

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

The next few pictures are right outside of the Intercontinental.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

As we rounded the corner, I was SO excited to see cruise ships! Woo Hoo!!

I think this was Liberty of the Seas

ry%3D480

And two Carnival ships. Anyone know which ships from Carnival dock on in Miami on Saturdays?

ry%3D480

After the ceremony (BORING!!!) we drove back up the Ft. Lauderdale area to go to IKEA. I've been just dying for a duvet from there but every time we go they were out. I'm happy to say that this time they were in stock! Our other reason for heading up that way is Chipotle. There is a Chipotle right next to IKEA and there is really nothing like it. The best burritos/tacos/salads and for so cheap! It was worth the drive!

Then back to the hotel. I never got any of the outside because by the time we got back it was dark and I didn't think of it the next morning. I do have a couple pictures of the inside. La Quinta East is a bit outdated but clean and comfortable, with friendly staff. You really can't beat the deal. They serve a huge continental breakfast in the morning and allow you to park your car there for a week for free, and also include a free shuttle to the pier. (You must get a taxi for $25 to get back to the hotel if you need to pick up your car at the end of the cruise.)

Here's the hallway we were on. It smelled strongly of tobacco but inside the rooms weren't bad at all.

ry%3D400

Our room had a king size bed and fridge/microwave/coffee pot. It was very comfortable and clean. However, if you are a light sleeper you can hear the planes pretty loudly and also there are thin walls between the rooms. When we shut off the TV at night there was a show of a different kind going on next door!! ;)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

And you see Charlie in front of the TV. Now would be as good of point as any to state that this trip was for Charlie and I to reconnect because we havn't been spending too much time together with me working full time, going to school full time, and studying in between. We both were a bit worried that we'd argue the whole trip simply because we are not used to spending so much time together. So we made a deal: I would not get mad at Charlie for watching TV and he would not get mad at me for taking pictures 24/7. With those major battles eliminated, there was nothing left to argue about!!

We slept great that night despite the the planes overhead and the olympic marathon going on next door.

La Quinta gave us an option of taking the shuttle at 10:00 or 12:00. I chose the 10:00 because I love being one of the first people on the ship. We arrived shortly after 10:00 at the pier and walked straight to the counter for check-in. We had to sign an additional paper I was not used to stating that I did not have the flu (no swine flu allowed on board). We recieved our sail and sign cards and had a seat. And waited. And waited. And waited. Do you know how HARD it is to wait when you have this for a veiw!?!?

ry%3D480

I was amazed at how late people were still getting off the ship. About 12:30 someone got on the intercom and I thougth "FINALLY!" but all they announced was that there was a delay and we would have to wait until about 1:30.

Charlie and I amused passed the time watching people. We chose seats that were near the entrance to where people came up if they took the elevators instead of the escalators. Right in front of them was a huge sign telling them which way to go, but a majority of the poeple got off, looked around, and then went in the opposite direction scratching their heads and complaining out loud that there was no one to tell them where to go.

ry%3D480

Also at this point the room was so packed there were no more chairs left so people were just standing around or finding a place to sit on the floor. Someone came out a bit later and passed out a letter thanking us for our patience.

I saw a couple people upset and yelling at staff members, but other than that people seemed in good spirits. It was fine with me. NOTHING was going to ruin my crusie!!!

ry%3D480

They started the boarding process about 1:15 with all the VIP's. Then us normal folks started getting called at 1:30. We were right on the ship and headed up to Lido for lunch per the instructions of the crew that our room was not ready yet. I went straight for the New York Deli, which makes a pretty good panini. I'm not big on buffet food, but Charlie always enjoyed it. There are two buffet lines inside, two outside by the pool, the New York Deli, Hong Kong asian place, and by the aft pool they had the pizza and burgers/hot dogs/fries.

After lunch we went to drop our stuff off at the room. We had an inside cabin on the main deck (deck 2). We loved our location. It was right behind the art gallery, which was right behind the atrium elevators. Even though deck 2 was a deck below the atrium, the elevators still went down one more floor. We heard very little noise at night except for the occassional group of people talking loudly while returning to their rooms after a long night of partying or doing whatever they were doing.

Here's the room before we messed it up too much.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This is the first cruise where I have gotten a bathrobe! I LOVED hopping out of the shower and being able to put a robe on before I finished getting ready.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The bathroom was a typical cabin bathroom with a shower curtain. I had forgotten the clothes pins that I usually use to hold the shower curtain down but it didn't attack me anyways so no problem there. My only complaint with the bathroom is the darn inconsistant water temperature. There is even a warning in the shower to put it on cold first to prevent scalding, but there was really no rhyme or reason to the temperature. But again, I will bathe in the pool if I have to, I don't care as long as I am on a ship!!

After dropping our stuff off in our room, we were set to explore the ship! First stop: Lido deck.

ry%3D480

We never have gone swimming on a ship. I thought we might use the slide, but we never did. Our tablemates did though and said it was a blast. I LOVED the big screen TV. They played CNN in the morning, and had kid-friendly movies some nights. During the day it varied but it was never obnoxious.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Mini golf:

ry%3D480

MORE!!! we leave in 7 days!!!

thank you for your review :) keep it comming :)

Keep it coming!:) I love the pic of the 2 Whale Tails sticking up! You can really tell just how tall these ships are!!!!

I hope you enjoy it! It will be pretty detailed so will take me a few days as I upload pictures.

Bobsfamily, have a great cruise!!

you had a great attitude for your vacation, it is so good to see. some things can happen, but make the best of it, its VACATION.. lol.. glad you enjoyed the ship. we're sailing on her june 15 out of NYC. :)

We slept great that night despite the the planes overhead and the olympic marathon going on next door.

La Quinta gave us an option of taking the shuttle at 10:00 or 12:00. I chose the 10:00 because I love being one of the first people on the ship. We arrived shortly after 10:00 at the pier and walked straight to the counter for check-in. We had to sign an additional paper I was not used to stating that I did not have the flu (no swine flu allowed on board). We recieved our sail and sign cards and had a seat. And waited. And waited. And waited. Do you know how HARD it is to wait when you have this for a veiw!?!?

ry%3D480

I was amazed at how late people were still getting off the ship. About 12:30 someone got on the intercom and I thougth "FINALLY!" but all they announced was that there was a delay and we would have to wait until about 1:30.

Charlie and I amused passed the time watching people. We chose seats that were near the entrance to where people came up if they took the elevators instead of the escalators. Right in front of them was a huge sign telling them which way to go, but a majority of the poeple got off, looked around, and then went in the opposite direction scratching their heads and complaining out loud that there was no one to tell them where to go.

ry%3D480

Also at this point the room was so packed there were no more chairs left so people were just standing around or finding a place to sit on the floor. Someone came out a bit later and passed out a letter thanking us for our patience.

I saw a couple people upset and yelling at staff members, but other than that people seemed in good spirits. It was fine with me. NOTHING was going to ruin my crusie!!!

ry%3D480

Hey Erin, we are from Bonita Springs, and we were getting off of the Triumph, when you guys were getting on! The delay was caused, becuase the officials at Carnival forgot to mention to US officials that we were going to Belize instead of heading to Cozumel! Not sure how this happens, but that was what we were told, by US Customs! They were questioning a ton of people, as they got off, and actually had to delay debarkation for almost 45 mins., twice! Didn't seem like Carnival had their stuff together! LOL

Hey Erin, we are from Bonita Springs, and we were getting off of the Triumph, when you guys were getting on! The delay was caused, becuase the officials at Carnival forgot to mention to US officials that we were going to Belize instead of heading to Cozumel! Not sure how this happens, but that was what we were told, by US Customs! They were questioning a ton of people, as they got off, and actually had to delay debarkation for almost 45 mins., twice! Didn't seem like Carnival had their stuff together! LOL

Thanks so much for that info! I actually said to Charlie that I knew you all had done the Western route and figured it had something to do with the Swine Flu. Still though, we didn't take any chances and did self-assist to get off the ship and were off by 8:30. :)

Neither Charlie nor I are sun-bathers-- I burn and he doesn't see a point in it. But we LOVE to just lean over the railing and look at the ocean. We got some practice in before we left the port of Miami:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This is the aft (Adults only??) pool. A small pool and two whirlpool tubs. Also in this area was the grill and the 24 hr. pizza. The dome could stay open or could slide shut in case of rain. We had quite a bit of rain on this trip so it was closed fairly often, and when it was closed we didn't spend much time in there because it got really hot and humid. One time we were sitting back there eating ice cream when they wen to re-open it after a rain shower, and I almost fell off my chair because it made such a loud noise. Charlie laughed at me and asked me if I thought we were going to sink.

ry%3D480

Behind us was the Carnival Valor heading off to the Western Caribbean.

ry%3D480

We found this great spot at the Lido buffet. Just head up the stairs by the dessert station and there are a bunch of tables and very few people. It was easy for Charlie and I to just set that as a general meeting place every day so we could each go to our various stations depending on what food we wanted and then we always knew where we could find eachother to sit down.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

MORE MORE MORE!!!!

You are doing a great job...please keep the pictures coming....oh and congrats on finishing nursing school. (I'm an EMT)

-Bubba

Thanks! I will be back first thing tomorrow morning I promise. Something just came up at work! :)

this is true! I live in Miami but we have a vacation home in Bonita Springs

we were on the same ship LOL:D

Erin,

I am really enjoying your review. I have been trying to find some pictures of the Triumph. I am sailing on her 6/25 out of NY. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Congrats on your graduation and being lucky enough to go on a cruise afterward.

Janice

Erin - I love your review too!! You put in such great detail! I love your pics, I feel like I'm on vacation with you! Loved the pointer on where to sit at the buffet.

I'll also be on the Triumph soon - 52 more days!!!

Archived