Bahamas Cruise on Monarch of the Seas Photos or Thoughts?

All,

I am looking for a short cruise for my wife and I to celebrate our 1 year anniversary (I am surprising her), and was wondering if the ol' Monarch would be a good choice for us (24 year olds). I am looking for September 2009 and I had a few questions.

1. This will be the smallest size **** of 4 cruises we will have taken, will we notice the size difference?

2. What does everyone think of the itinerary?

3. Is there a formal night on a 3-night, if so I am thinking on skipping it.

4. Is it easy to get from MCO to Port Canaveral?

5. Pictures?

6. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Bob

Chicago

You are coming from Chicago? Then why not do Majesty out of Miami instead? It was refurbished. It is often a little less than Monarch as far as price. And the trip from Miami airport to Miami Port is 20 minutes in a taxi ($26 flate rate)

The trip from MCO to Port Canaveral is 45 minutes. And you'll either need cruise transfer, a rental car or private transfers.

It's not like the trip from MCO is tough. I've done it many times. But if I had to choose, I would go wth Majesty.

The 2nd night is formal. Because it's such a short cruise, fewer folks will actually dress formally---most men will just wear a jacket, and the women, a short cocktail dress.

Unless you want all the "bells and whistles" of the larger ships, this will be fine for a 3 day getaway!

Michelle. The only reason I was thinking Monarch was I have $150 united vouchers to use and the flight to MCO was $224pp and Miami was $459pp. I figured if I can get the flight for $80pp and $60pp in xfers, it would only cost me $140 instead of the Miami flight at $309..... It is strictly a price point...

Have you been on the Monarch or the Majesty?

I have been on both. Majesty twice and Monarch once. Both are fine for short cruises but I prefer the Monarch's itinerary. You are in Nassau on Saturday (as opposed to Sunday on the Majesty, which means a lot of downtown is closed).

On our recent Majesty cruise, there were plenty of young people and I think you and your wife would enjoy it.

Linda in Tampa (don't forget the Inspiration - she does some four night weekenders from here)

Linda,

I was looking at that Inspiration, but the itinerary didn't fall right as we don't have enough vacation time for that cruise as I would have to take an extra vacation day. I am looking for the cheapest cruise + the cheapest price flight on United.

Bob

Michelle has a valid point, a taxi from Orlando airport to port is at least $50. each way if not more. It is a 45 minute drive if all goes well....traffic can be terrible.

A 3 or 4 day is very casual don't worry about formal night a simple dress for her and slacks & button down should be enough for the dining room.

RCL is not going to keep you out unless you show up in shorts.

Have fun!

We did the 4-nt Monarch cruise to the Bahamas a few weeks ago--and LOVED it!!! I was a little hesitant going on this older ship, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how beautifully she has been maintained, and well staffed she was. If you decide to take this ship, I promise you will not be disappointed.

My only suggestion would be to book at least a Superior Outside cabin, which is significantly larger than the standard outside cabin that we had. Our cabin was very small, which was hard to deal with after being on newer ships with much larger cabins.

I hope you and your wife have a great cruise.

Karen

All,

I am looking for a short cruise for my wife and I to celebrate our 1 year anniversary (I am surprising her), and was wondering if the ol' Monarch would be a good choice for us (24 year olds). I am looking for September 2009 and I had a few questions.

1. This will be the smallest size **** of 4 cruises we will have taken, will we notice the size difference?

2. What does everyone think of the itinerary?

3. Is there a formal night on a 3-night, if so I am thinking on skipping it.

4. Is it easy to get from MCO to Port Canaveral?

5. Pictures?

6. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Bob

Chicago

If I did it right here you go

://travel.whttpebshots.com/album/571590602vTTlEF

We’ve taken the Monarch and have enjoyed it but understand that it is an older ship without some of the amenities of newer ships. Beware the cabins ( below JS) are SMALL.

You will find the staff to be excellent and lots of activities packed into the 3 days. We try to get to port about 11 so we are on the ship early, that way we have the advantage if enjoying the first afternoon on board.

We take a three day a few times each year. I do disagree with the dress comments on formal nights.

I am always amazed at the high standard of dress for a short cruise. We’ve even traveled on college spring break and found the young folks to be “dressed to impress”. Perhaps some can only afford a short sailing and want to want to dress up or the sailing is for a special occasion, as the case with the OP

Sure there are always some on ANY cruise regardless of length, that prefer to dress more casually ( no jacket or tux) but we see most men in jackets and ties and women look beautiful. I will admit, on a short cruise, that my husband wears a sport jacket and tie instead of a suit or tux.

Enjoy

M

We did the 4-nt Monarch cruise to the Bahamas a few weeks ago--and LOVED it!!! I was a little hesitant going on this older ship, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how beautifully she has been maintained, and well staffed she was. If you decide to take this ship, I promise you will not be disappointed.

My only suggestion would be to book at least a Superior Outside cabin, which is significantly larger than the standard outside cabin that we had. Our cabin was very small, which was hard to deal with after being on newer ships with much larger cabins.

I hope you and your wife have a great cruise.

Karen

Hey they are still newlyweds they ,might not mind the closeness

http://travel.webshots.com/album/571590602vTTlEF

I think some of the link was missing try it like this

Thanks for posting a link to your pics, Hotrod. My BFF and I are also considering a trip on the Monarch to celebrate my 50th birthday late this summer. It looks like you've also sailed on the Voyager (as have we). How would you compare the two ships? Will we like the Monarch as well? Also, what category of OV cabin did you have - was it the largest size (SO)? I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the extra $$ for the larger cabin. Yours was small but not too tiny.

We were on the Monarch last November. She was one of the smallest ships we've been on and we loved her. We were in a JS cabin.

There was plenty of space on the decks for sunbeds. Sadly for us, we missed CocoCay because of the weather but we enjoyed the day just the same and ended up eating 7 pastries each!!!!!!

Here is a link to some photos.

Bob,

We took a 4 night cruise on the Monarch on March 09 - 13, 2009 and loved it. If you would be interrested in reading my "very long winded" review of the cruise, you can click here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=951019.

Also, if you would like to see some photos that we took on that cruise, as well as some from our Mariner cruise in October of 2008, just click here: http://family.webshots.com/album/570678033DpHRLE.

Hope this is of some help. You will enjoy the Monarch. She may be an older ship, but she is beautiful, and very well maintained.

Rusty

Just off the Monarch yesterday.

The Monarch has plenty of stuff to do so size doesn't really matter. And look at it this way, it takes less time to get to things. It doesn't have some of the higher end things but for a three day you really don't need them.

The schedule of stops is great. Not two days in Nassau like Carnival.

Loved the day in CocoCay too.

Since the formal night is on the night you are in Nassua you can certainly skip it but it is not too dressy (short dress and suits seemed to be the norm). You can always just go to the Windjammer for dinner that night as well.

I was with a group of ten ladies of which 6 flew. They hired an outside transportation company to drive and they were very happy with the time and ride. It was around $50 ROUND TRIP EACH to do it.

I don't have my pictures yet but will post when I get them done.

I would say go for it. We had a great time and I look forward to doing the same cruise with just my husband at a later time.

Reeddi

Archived