neophyte at Regent Cruise Line

Hi, I am researching cruises and found Regent Cruise Line. They certainly sound wonderful and the costs aren't too frightening (especially with the deals they are offering now). Is it really all inclusive? No extra charges for anything? (except gift shop purchases)? Are most of the people snobby and rich or is there a variety of people? We are not rich but do love cruising and have never tried a luxury line. Any information anyone can add would be helpful. Thanks.:)

Hi HWL2C

I think you would enjoy a Regent cruise. My wife and I had our first last October on Voyager and are looking forward to our second in September, again on Voyager.... this time back 2 back for 15 nights.

That was only our second cruise, and there are lots of people on these boards with many more cruises under their belts than us, but we really found the people on Voyager to be friendly and not at all snobby. Actually, we found more people trying to put on airs on the Holland America Statendam during an Alaska cruise last June.

Regent has been taking a beating lately because of ownership issues affecting focus on customers and launching a new website way before it should have been, but frankly, we can't wait to get back on board.

If I recall correctly, you have to pay for some "off the menu" wines if the wine of the evening is not to your liking, but other than that.... it's all in there.

My 2 cents worth. (Included for you...)

Rene

In general passengers aren't snobby, although there's always a snob or two around, but they're easy to ignore!

Yes, the prices are really good right now. Except for the spa, fancy wines and spirits, some really (formerly) expensive excursions which are now reasonably-priced, you really can't spend your own money.

I think I have seen more snobs on the mainstream jumbo ships than on Regent. Mostly 'wanna-bees'.

Generally, Regent is classy without being stuffy. The accomodations are excellent, the food is great, the staff is UNBELIEVABLE!

One problem, you MAY be spoiled for other cruise lines!

Hi, I am researching cruises and found Regent Cruise Line. They certainly sound wonderful and the costs aren't too frightening (especially with the deals they are offering now). Is it really all inclusive? No extra charges for anything? (except gift shop purchases)? Are most of the people snobby and rich or is there a variety of people? We are not rich but do love cruising and have never tried a luxury line. Any information anyone can add would be helpful. Thanks.:)

We were similarly concerned before our first cruise on Regent last year. However, we were very pleasantly surprised - and hooked on Regent. Just because someone is rich does not mean they will be snobby. One of the most interesting persons we met onboard our first cruise was obviously quite "rich" given the suite he was in and his background. However, unless you talked to him at length, you would never know it.

I agree with Wendy-- there can be a few snobs or people looking for arguments, but they are easy to ignore. In our limited experience (two cruises) we have only met one person who we would avoid and many people who we developed good relations with. MtnDriver is right. You may be spoiled -- we were.

The one thing not included that I didn't see mentioned is laundry and dry cleaning. There are self-service laundries on board (with washers, dryers and ironing board/iron) and these are free. Detergent is included too. But if you send stuff out to be washed/dried/pressed/cleaning, you pay. However I cannot say that the charges were out of line and they are in fact a lot cheaper than most hotels!

I have found fellow passengers (with only a few exceptions) to be really friendly and nice.

Regent is so laid back -- you don't think about how much people are paying for their cruise. Interestingly, few people want to discuss their jobs or even their families -- no one really knows or cares how much money a person has. At the end of each day, people tend to be discussing where they went, what they saw and other travel related issues.

During the day people are walking around in very casual clothing (shorts, etc.) There are people of all ages. Certain itineraries and times of the year have a different passenger mix. During the summer and school holidays, there are more families with children. Cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale tend to get an older crowd as do the long cruises.

It is really difficult not to love Regent!

Thanks so much for all your replies. We have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL and certainly found people we enjoyed as well as people we avoided. I am certainly interested in broadening our experiences. Another concern that I forgot the first time was motion!! Since the ships are so much smaller than the mass cruise lines do you feel much motion? I guess I am mainly interested in an Alaskan cruise. We did one 11 years ago on Princess and enjoyed it so much but they are so reasonably priced now (much less than we paid 11 years ago!@#$). Sounds like Regent might be a fit. :)

I have rarely felt significant motion on Voyager. Now vibration is another thing. You can do a search and find out all about that issue. But motion from the sea, rarely.

Most people who cruise on Regent are comfortable, but not snobbish. We have met some VERY wealthy people aboard who were nice as can be.

Thanks so much for all your replies. We have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL and certainly found people we enjoyed as well as people we avoided. I am certainly interested in broadening our experiences. Another concern that I forgot the first time was motion!! Since the ships are so much smaller than the mass cruise lines do you feel much motion? I guess I am mainly interested in an Alaskan cruise. We did one 11 years ago on Princess and enjoyed it so much but they are so reasonably priced now (much less than we paid 11 years ago!@#$). Sounds like Regent might be a fit. :)

Smaller ships does not necessarily mean that you will feel the motion of the ocean any more than on larger ships (stabilizers on newer ships, like Regent, work quite well). I'm not sure if your Princess cruise was the inside passage, however, we experienced very calm seas last May on our Mariner cruise.

I expect that you will be blown away by Regent's service, suites, etc. Please write a review when you return:)

I have to admit that I have not thoroughly researched this (yet) but smaller numbers of passengers does not mean proportionally smaller ships. I remember an Alaska cruise where there were six ships in port, one from Regent. The others carried about 2000 passengers, but they appeared to be only slightly larger than the Regent vessel. I guess I will have to make a comparison of tonnes/passenger. I suspect that Regent will have a MUCH larger number. A good rainy day project.

Archived