Pack & Go rates qualify for ES?

PlanoDebbie

Given the hassles reported on CC and no upgrade opportunity, I'm surprised folks are going for the early saver. I don't think I will.

You can price match past guest so if there is a good upgrade opportunity there you can still move up. Like if you are booked into a 6b and past guest is showing a free upgrade from 6b to 6e all you have to do is call and they will move you up. As long as the 6b rate is what you paid or less.Also if it's cheaper they will move you up and give you OBC for the difference in price.

Is ES ideal? No it's can be a PIA because the dept handling the price drops is horribly understaffed or inefficient. That being said even with all the trouble I've had I will use it again for our famiy cruise next year. I've saved $260 total for 2 of us so far and now our price for our 5 day is cheaper then we paid for our 4 day last year. To me that makes the hassle worth while.

I have another question about Early Saver/Pack & Go. I'm booked in a 4C inside cabin on Early Saver. There are no more inside or OV cabins for 3 people left, so no price drops available for now anyway... However the Pack & Go has a rate for a balcony at $200 more than we paid. Do you think they'd let us pay the difference and upgrade to the balcony gty? I've asked my TA to look into it, but haven't heard back yet. We're ok with the inside, but of course if we could get it for that price we'd want to do it!

IMO...under Early Saver I'm very sure they won't let you pay the $200 to upgrade to a Balcony. But....there apparently have been recent cases where they will now let you "transfer" from the Early Saver to a better deal (giving up the Early Saver benefits!) - so they might let you opt out of the Early Saver and "switch" to the Pack-and-Go Balcony (You DO realize that the Pack-and-Go would be a Balcony GUARANTEE, where you are accepting any Balcony, any location, any deck, with no recourse?).

If the TA balks, I'd mention this response, and ask TA to talk further with Carnival. Let us know how this works out???

Ken

IMO...under Early Saver I'm very sure they won't let you pay the $200 to upgrade to a Balcony. But....there apparently have been recent cases where they will now let you "transfer" from the Early Saver to a better deal (giving up the Early Saver benefits!) - so they might let you opt out of the Early Saver and "switch" to the Pack-and-Go Balcony (You DO realize that the Pack-and-Go would be a Balcony GUARANTEE, where you are accepting any Balcony, any location, any deck, with no recourse?).

If the TA balks, I'd mention this response, and ask TA to talk further with Carnival. Let us know how this works out???

Ken

That was kind of my thought, that we'd likely have to give up the Early Saver, IF they let us do that at all. We're ok with the GTY. Not ideal, but still better than an inside to us.

I'll definitely report back with what I am told.

So my TA just called while he was on the other line with a Carnival rep. Confirmed we can upgrade for $200 AND keep the Early Saver booking.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how that will work since it's just a gty. He kind of explained it as it depends what program they are offering. If the Pack & Go rate were to drop, we should be able to get OBC from that. If it's the Fun Select that drops for a balcony, I'm not quite sure...we'll have to look into it then. Even if we wouldn't be eligible for any price drops, we're pretty happy to go from an inside to a balcony for only $67 each.

So my TA just called while he was on the other line with a Carnival rep. Confirmed we can upgrade for $200 AND keep the Early Saver booking.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how that will work since it's just a gty. He kind of explained it as it depends what program they are offering. If the Pack & Go rate were to drop, we should be able to get OBC from that. If it's the Fun Select that drops for a balcony, I'm not quite sure...we'll have to look into it then. Even if we wouldn't be eligible for any price drops, we're pretty happy to go from an inside to a balcony for only $67 each.

Bottom Line -- You did GOOD. IMO the Carnival rep was mistaken, but so what. A very similar situation was posted on the Carnival boards, and Carnival later called back and indicated that they found they'd made a mistake; the poster put up a "fight" and they relented.

ken

We booked ES and have an 8D and for every price drop I've seen I put in a claim for the lower rate. The one promo I knew we couldn't pick was the cash back one which was higher anyways. The last rate drop was significant and was the Fun Saver which is the gty--I now have a $230 OBC since it was after I paid in full. Others on my roll call have been getting ES price drops on the gty categories too--we keep posting when we see a lower price. As a matter of fact, I just put in for another one--it's a Fun Saver rate too. There are 8D cabins available though so I don't know...just my experience FWIW.

We booked ES and have an 8D and for every price drop I've seen I put in a claim for the lower rate. The one promo I knew we couldn't pick was the cash back one which was higher anyways. The last rate drop was significant and was the Fun Saver which is the gty--I now have a $230 OBC since it was after I paid in full. Others on my roll call have been getting ES price drops on the gty categories too--we keep posting when we see a lower price. As a matter of fact, I just put in for another one--it's a Fun Saver rate too. There are 8D cabins available though so I don't know...just my experience FWIW.

Now THAT's interesting!!!!!!!! ken

We booked on the Valor for September 8B months ago under the ES program, and have been happy we have - we have received over $250.00 in OBC due to price drops. :D

Not sure if it will drop anymore, but our entire roll call seems to be benefitting from the ES program.

Now THAT's interesting!!!!!!!! ken

I thought so too--I really hadn't looked too hard at the rules and just thought lower price was valid as long as your cabin category was available and had got it before I read on here that it wasn't supposed to be that way. I was surprised when I read that but when I look under 'my cruise' on Carnival's site there is my last price reduction which now puts us at 849/849/549 for 8D with $230 OBC. Although I am more than happy with that price I will gladly take any other price reduction Carnival wants to give me :D

They can't have a Guarantee under Early Saver. I'm thinking there's a communication problem somewhere there, but I'd sit back and see if you can use it to your advantage!!!!! (Did you already have a cabin assigned under the original Guarantee Booking?) ken

Ken, here is the history of this booking. I had originally booked on the Carnival Glory for Feb.27 2010, a guarantee balcony , knowing that the Dream was coming and hoping for a switchover. Carnival did change us to the Dream. Then when I found out John Heald was not going to be the CD, and also early saver rates came out, I switched to the September booking ES rate with a assigned balcony cat.8d in which I chose my cabin. Since then, and just a couple of days ago, John said he will be the CD from January (end) through March.

Well, I wanted to cruise with him again before he makes that move home, which we know will happen, and by the way, needs to happen so he can be home with his family. So, I called to see If I could get switched back to the Feb. date. At first they gave me a hassle and said I had to book the ES if I wanted to switch. At that time, why I don't know, but the early saver rate was HIGHER than the guarantee rate. Well, I decided that I wanted to switch to an ocean view guarantee. After the customer service person spoke to a supervisor, they made the switch. My booking does show OV TBA. but at the bottom where there are notes, it shows the cancellation fee effective june2008 of 250pp. So I called, they said it is still the ES promo but I still have a guarantee cabin.?? I know it is confusing...it sure confused me!

.... or maybe you just got lucky, and Carnival is working the bugs out, who knows. Was it a guarantee 8D? Maybe thats how it was able to work.

.... or maybe you just got lucky, and Carnival is working the bugs out, who knows. Was it a guarantee 8D? Maybe thats how it was able to work.

Maybe...

I first booked before early saver came out and got the 4 category upgrade to 8D and chose my stateroom, then when I saw the early saver rate I switched to that rate. I still have the same stateroom. I'm not sure how they figure it out.

cruzn buckeye - I'm confused too!!!! When you apply for Price Drops, keep us posted? ken

I will Ken...if the OV guarantee rate drops, I am going to give it a shot. If the ES rate drops, well I will give that a shot too. Maybe then, I can figure out what the heck rate I am booked under ???

cruzn

The early saver thing a mig appears to be a MAJOR headache. I always book with groups so I am concerned for how that will apply. My daughter is getting married on the Pride in March of 2010. Unfortunately she is a teacher so we had to do spring break which means we are paying top dollar for a stinky cruise (bad ports). But the problem is I think some of the folks think she is trying to rip them off or something. The group cruise price is $960 for a balcony and the published fun saver is $850 for a balcony.

I think at this point she is ready to tell her guests to book on their own and not go through her TA. That will get to be a hassle for diner and I am sure they will be calling my daughter about details etc. My daughter, her friends, fiance and his family are all first time cruiser.

Yes - I was thinking at this point you may as well file for all possible price drops and see what shakes out!

If the FunSaver rate drops, I'd call and ask for the traditional Price adjustment and file Early Saver claim(s).

Interestingly, I just looked at my last Carnival Booking confirmation, and nowhere on it do they indicate the Booking "type" (as in Early Saver, Fun Saver....) -- now I feel bad for criticising people for not knowing how they're booked!!!!!

ken

The early saver thing a mig appears to be a MAJOR headache. I always book with groups so I am concerned for how that will apply. My daughter is getting married on the Pride in March of 2010. Unfortunately she is a teacher so we had to do spring break which means we are paying top dollar for a stinky cruise (bad ports). But the problem is I think some of the folks think she is trying to rip them off or something. The group cruise price is $960 for a balcony and the published fun saver is $850 for a balcony.

I think at this point she is ready to tell her guests to book on their own and not go through her TA. That will get to be a hassle for diner and I am sure they will be calling my daughter about details etc. My daughter, her friends, fiance and his family are all first time cruiser.

I would definitely tell them to book direct, especially if they can book cheaper then through her TA. Dinner won't be a hassle, just pick anytime dining. Then if they all want to eat together they can. If not they can eat whenever they want. No reason a group has to all eat at the same time just because they are sailing together. There are plenty of other times you can get together as a group.

Yes - I was thinking at this point you may as well file for all possible price drops and see what shakes out!

If the FunSaver rate drops, I'd call and ask for the traditional Price adjustment and file Early Saver claim(s).

Interestingly, I just looked at my last Carnival Booking confirmation, and nowhere on it do they indicate the Booking "type" (as in Early Saver, Fun Saver....) -- now I feel bad for criticising people for not knowing how they're booked!!!!!

ken

I also looked at my confirmation, I am pretty sure they used to show the code that it was booked under, anyway it is not there. I found the information at the bottom where it says important notes or whatever it says....it doesn't show the code there either, just the cancellation policy....

ken

Hey Ken,

Just found out where to find the booking "type". You go to your reservation and click on "modify booking" of course you don't have to modify. But I found my new booking code. It now says MES. I am assuming that means modified early saver. Maybe.

Cruzn

Hey Ken,

Just found out where to find the booking "type". You go to your reservation and click on "modify booking" of course you don't have to modify. But I found my new booking code. It now says MES. I am assuming that means modified early saver. Maybe.

Cruzn

I've noticed that the PVP's have been doing some creative stuff for their clients, as in giving them rates like Pack-and-Go but supposedly retaining their Early Saver privileges, apparently documenting this by making notes to that effect in the comments section of the booking record - I'm wondering if they've created this Fare Code "MES" for these modified Early Saver situations???? ken

I've noticed that the PVP's have been doing some creative stuff for their clients, as in giving them rates like Pack-and-Go but supposedly retaining their Early Saver privileges, apparently documenting this by making notes to that effect in the comments section of the booking record - I'm wondering if they've created this Fare Code "MES" for these modified Early Saver situations???? ken

That's what I am thinking MES stands for "modified Early Saver". Also, I didn't book with a PVP this time. Just used the 1-800 number and when I called on this one, I chose the already have a reservation selection.

cruzn

Archived