pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

great news for P&O and us all that pacific dawn is all clear,

I think this a realy good statement from the nsw,s health department,I shows that pacific dawn is free from swine flu wich is great for us cruisers.

(

“To date, a total of 51 NSW residents from the Pacific Dawn cruise ship which arrived into Sydney at 8.00am EST last Monday, 25 May, have returned positive test results for human swine influenza. This brings the total number of confirmed human swine flu cases in NSW to 64,” Dr McAnulty said. )

(

“NSW Health, together with the advice of the Commonwealth Government, can confirm that passengers who were on board the Pacific Dawn cruise ship which disembarked in Sydney this morning have the all clear for human swine influenza.

“Passengers do not need to be placed in quarantine or home isolation, and are able to on-journey and go about their normal duties,” Dr McAnulty said.)

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/2009/20090601_03.html

I personally think the gov't is encouraging the paranoia to take the focus off the economy. I've just returned from cruising Alaska & flew return to LA. There are no border protection measures re swine flu apparent in either USA or Canada. USA is now allowing unrestricted travel to & from Mexico. We were asked if we had flu symptoms as well as noro symptoms before embarkation but since the flu takes 10days to incubate, people are mostly unaware. We were basically just encouraged to maintain vigilance with personal hygiene.

When our plane landed in Sydney a man collapsed & airport staff went into meltdown. We were told our flight would be quarantined & treated like lepers. it turned out the poor fellow had a diabetic episode!

The damage done to the local cruising industry by the Gov't (including Qld) is shameful. They can't stop this flu. People will largely not die from it. They should stop trying to lay blame & just deal with cases as they arise & wait for the vaccine which is only weeks away. And how about some sympathy from the media for the families of people dying from the seasonal flu....or the road toll?

Swine flu fears: another cruise ship turned away

Georgina Robinson

Another cruise ship has been intercepted in the Pacific Ocean and turned away from New Caledonia while up to five people are tested for swine flu.

The Dawn Princess liner, with 1996 passengers on board, was not allowed to stop on the island of Lifou in New Caledonia early today after four or five people on board presented with flu-like symptoms.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/swine-flu-fears-another-cruise-ship-turned-away-20090602-btn6.html

The danger is going away i.e. on board a ship or aircraft with a cold or other flu strain and it is mistaken for swine flu.

This is the problem...if you so much as sneeze or cough on a ship or plane, the worst is thought. I have had so many colds on ships and planes in the past - never a 'flu' so I hope nothing will happen this time.

Cheers

ging466

Hopefully you can get matching shoes.

And for the ladies a formal suit as well.

That pic is so funny....I've just copied it across to my roll call for everyone to have a good laugh.:D

Cheers

ging466

Can you get that in Black and White for Formal night?
as luck has it yes you can get it black and white and the photos comes in black and white as well.:)

as luck has it yes you can get it black and white and the photos comes in black and white as well.:)

Perhaps something else to do is u know those white plaster mask looking things? paint/decorate them and park urself outside OPT and have a friend at Wharf 8.... we know theres a country western, island, formal, pirate night.... if you don't want to do the full get up in the suit atleast get a face mask :cool:

COMEDIAN Steve Allison emerged from swine flu quarantine yesterday vowing not to use the experience as comic fodder a single day past its use-by date.

But the Gold Coast man who kept passengers laughing on board the swill-fated Pacific Dawn is entitled to milk it in the meantime.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25577793-5012980,00.html

just wondering why i can read more about this pacific dawn cruise then on here, ( i mean in the way of reviews)

This might become the standard of dress on cruise ships to contain the swine flui:

hazmat_suit.jpg

I wonder if they would let you board if you actually did rock up to the ship dressed like that...or wearing a pig mask :D.

NSW swine flu cases rise to 70

Confirmed swine flu cases in NSW have risen by one to 70, with test results from 16 people on the Dawn Princess cruise ship due later on Wednesday.

The ship is due to return to Sydney on Friday with 1,996 passengers and 850 crew after a 13-day South Pacific cruise.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/nsw-swine-flu-cases-rise-to-70-20090603-bvaf.html

MPs criticise swine flu management

June 3, 2009 - 6:59PM

Authorities have let the community down in the management and communication of swine flu cases, a Liberal senator says.

Specifically under scrutiny is NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant's decision to allow about 1,800 people to leave the Pacific Dawn cruise ship in Sydney on May 25, when swine flu test results for five passengers were still pending.

How do the cruise company decide which person has flu-like symptom and needs to be in isolation? It is winter season... Is it high temperature? Because in this season, coughing and running nose is very common, with a bit exposure to cold strong wind, although high temperature is not a necessary.

Archived