pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

Hi,

Welcome to this board. I have read our posts but haven't welcomed you before. :):)

If the Moderator feels that a post breaches the guidlines of this forum he will remove it. I don't know which posts you are referring to, but some impolite posts are removed. We also can't discuss travel agents by name. :)

Evon.

Hi,

Also from both of us too, WELCOME.

Cheers,

Bob and Jen:)

Queensland Health figures yesterday showed in Cairns, Townsville, Nambour and the Royal Brisbane and Women's hospitals were dealing with high numbers of emergency department patients waiting for a bed.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25855364-3102,00.html

A NSW piggery hit by swine flu will be in lockdown until all signs of the virus have been eradicated, the NSW Department of Primary Industries says.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/piggery-swine-remain-in-lockdown-2883371

passengers on a luxury cruise liner with more than 60 crew struck down with swine flu have been allowed to disembark.

Local authorities had initially prevented them from disembarking after the ship put into Marseille on Saturday.Local authorities had initially...

http://www.silobreaker.com/passengers-leave-swine-fluhit-ship-5_2262498791967948806

Cruise ship ‘Voyager of the seas’ returns to Barcelona after swine flu AH1N1 fiasco

http://www.barcelonareporter.com/index.php?/news/mobile/cruise_ship_voyager_of_the_seas_returns_to_barcelona_after_swine_flu_ah1n1_/1249259418

an up date on Voyager of the Seas swine flu

PARIS (AP) — A French official says about 60 crewmembers on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship have been diagnosed with swine flu and confined to their cabins while the ship is in a French port.

Alpes-Maritime regional spokeswoman Geraldine Soulier says another 70 ship employees are showing symptoms.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-07-31-swine-flu-cruise-ship_N.htm

Hi Theid,

Just wondering how long some of the Pacific Islands will be off-limits to us? Is it mainly the islands of New Caledonia? Have you read anything about it?

Cheers,

Anna

the only thing i can find atm is what we can read on here about the Pacific Islands will be off-limits because of swine flu, but there is a big meetings with oz goverment and a lot of south pacific countries about swine flu and climit change. there is an artical about it ,but there is not much in it

My daughter will be flying from Canada to Sydney to work on the Pacific Dawn next week.

I have been reading that the swine flu is a pandemic in Australia.

I am feeling nervous about her going.

Is there anyone just off the ship that can tell me if it is really as scary as the reports say ??

Thank you!

My daughter will be flying from Canada to Sydney to work on the Pacific Dawn next week.

I have been reading that the swine flu is a pandemic in Australia.

I am feeling nervous about her going.

Is there anyone just off the ship that can tell me if it is really as scary as the reports say ??

Thank you!

Hi sunnydaze

We got off the Pacific Dawn last week after a 10 day cruise and no problems with swine flu on the ship. Some of the islands are still taking precautions and are not allowing ships to enter their ports but hopefully that will change soon.

Your daughter must be so excited. What will she be doing on the ship? We are going again in December and I could say hello to her if she is still on.

world health talked about a pandemic, and so have australian health, she will have so much fun on that ship (sunnydaze) do you now what your daughter will be doing?

Ashley will be playing piano with a trio ( bass + drums).

She only will sign on for short contracts, so will be finished on the Pacific Dawn the end of Sept.

She has played all cruise lines the last 2 years and has seen the world. Caribbean all winter, on different ships, seeing different ports. Alaska last summer, and she has crossed the Atlantic many times + played Europe, and Baltic around the arctic circle etc.

She has a real travel bug and might as well do it while she is young.

There isn't much swine flu here, but maybe it will increase this winter. Australia sounds scary to us.

Don't worry Australia isn't scary. As far as I can see it hasn't really changed anyones day to day activities, except for maybe improving personal hygiene. It is a pandemic everywhere not just here. Most cases are very mild and as your daughter is fit and well even if she did get it I am sure she would be fine. The ships are well stocked and prepared to handle and issues that arise. I don't know anyone that has had it, no one I work with knows anyone that has had it.

She'll have a great time! :)

Angela

Don't be scared coming to Australia. We are an island (well a large one)and as such we always have such strict customs eg not fruit or vegetables can be brought in.

They are just being cautious.

Despite all the postings on this thread a lot of them are for other countires. We hear very little about it now.

I work in a school and except for kids having to have a couple of days off if they show flu like symptoms , they are not even being tested anymore for swine flu.

Remember we are just going out of our major flu season..

Check out numbers listed on the internet.

England has recorded much larger numbers but also has a larger population.

Greece with only a population of 11 million is vaccinating the whole country

Thank you all for your replies. I do appreciate it!

If you look up Wikipedia and Australia swine flu on the internet, there is a whole page talking about how it is a Pandemic in Australia.

It up-dates it every day, and there have been 600 more cases in the last 24 hrs!

It's up to 25,000 cases now!!

This is a fact - not just somebody's opinion.

It even mentions Pacific Dawn ship.

As of 7 August 2009, Australia has 24,949 confirmed cases of H1N1 Influenza 09 (Human Swine Influenza) and 85 confirmed deaths due to the disease.

114 patients in intensive care: 42 in New South Wales, 11 in Victoria, 30 in Queensland, 11 in South Australia, 12 in Western Australia, 4 in the Northern Territory, 3 in Tasmania and 2 in the ACT.[1]

85 deaths: 30 in New South Wales, 18 in Victoria, 4 in the Northern Territory, 8 in South Australia, 15 in Queensland, 5 in Western Australia, 4 in Tasmania and 1 in the ACT.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_Australia

06 August 2009

Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 Influenza Update

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/2009/20090806_00.html

NSW Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerry Chant, today reminded people to take extra care when preparing for the City2Surf event this Sunday, with the Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza still circulating within the community.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/2009/20090807_00.html

Archived