Whats the latest time you can stay on board on disembarkation

They have everyone off usually by 10 or 11 am. You might want to check out a day rate at a local hotel or take a post cruise excursion.

Even if the airport has a fairly comfortable waiting area, which Ft. Lauderdale doesn;t, you can't check in until a couple of hours before your flight.

Great

So that'll mean 5 or 6 hours sitting somewhere with all of our luggage.

Check out the Florida Ports board for information on hotels with day rates. You can have a place to relax and use the pool etc while you wait.

They usually start making announcements about clearing out the Windjammer around 9:00 or so, but they begin calling "colors" for disembarkation pretty early. It's such a sad time; I just felt a little twinge of pcd thinking about it!:(

Thanks for advice.

We are staying at Holiday Inn Port of Miami before the cruise. Maybe I will talk to them on Friday (YES THIS FRIDAY !!!!! :D) about booking a room for the day on Saturday week.

It will give the wives a chance to do some shopping in Miami.

Can you request a later disembarkation? We are traveling with my in-laws and my father-in-law has health issues that make it a little difficult for him to be up and out early.

No you can't, they need to get everyone off to get the new passengers on. You have to be out of your cabin by 8am or so. You will have to start earlier that day I am afraid.

Can you request a later disembarkation? We are traveling with my in-laws and my father-in-law has health issues that make it a little difficult for him to be up and out early.

Yes, you can. We just got off the Freedom on Sunday & our color tags were for 7:15, no way we were going to get off that early! Just go to Guest Services & ask for the color tag you want (they have a list of colors & debarkation times for those colors on the info page left in your stateroom the day before) They will be happy to exchange them for you. The latest I believe that they call is 9:15-9:30, that's what we chose. (we also stayed in our stateroom until 9:00 & nobody came to tell us to leave)

My sugestion in Fort Lauderdale if you have quite a few hours is to rent a car. Throw your luggage inside and take a drive somewhere. Maybe the Sawgrass Mills shopping outlet which isn't far away, there's the Galleria Mall near the beach in FT Laud. But, the beach is my choice and there are some small places to eat right across the street.

If you take an RCI excursion after your cruise they will be holding your luggage for you on the bus until after the excursion when they take you to the airport.

They will take us to the airport ?

This sounds like a good option.

They will take us to the airport ?

This sounds like a good option.

Yes, airport drop off is normal. But, before you choose this option make sure to check the time. They may drop you at the airport as early as 13:00. You might consider a private tour, the hotel day stay makes the most sense, though.

Have a great cruise!

Yes, airport drop off is normal. But, before you choose this option make sure to check the time. They may drop you at the airport as early as 13:00. You might consider a private tour, the hotel day stay makes the most sense, though.

Have a great cruise!

Yes just checked. Just 2 tours avaiable for Miami and both 4 hours long which would suggest we would be dropped at Airport for 1PM for a 7PM flight.

I think you're right. I will book a room for the day at the Holiday Inn. That gives us a base to leave luggage, eat, venture out and explore and shower before leaving for the airport.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Even if the airport has a fairly comfortable waiting area, which Ft. Lauderdale doesn;t, you can't check in until a couple of hours before your flight.

I don't see how that can be true when you can check in online and print your boarding pass 24 hours in advance.

I don't see how that can be true when you can check in online and print your boarding pass 24 hours in advance.

You may be able to check in online, but you can't check your bags until they open the counter which is normally 3 hours prior to departure on a transatlantic flight

Yes, you can print your boarding pass, but at FLL, they won't let you check your luggage or go thru security until about 2 hours before your flight.

Great

So that'll mean 5 or 6 hours sitting somewhere with all of our luggage.

We flew home from Fort Lauderdale last year after a cruise and had a similarly late flight. We thought we could check our luggage at the airport early and then rent a car and take a drive down the coast. When we got to the airport, they told us we couldn't check our luggage any earlier than 3 hours before our flight, so we ended up renting the car and driving down to Miami Beach for the day.

Yep, it's another Homeland Security rule.

Actually it's an FLL rule not a Homeland Security rule. Other airports have much more leeway than FLL. And for some airlines at FLL, they will only allow you to check bags 2 hours before your flight.

Actually it's an FLL rule not a Homeland Security rule. Other airports have much more leeway than FLL. And for some airlines at FLL, they will only allow you to check bags 2 hours before your flight.

Having flown all over the world I can tell you that this is normal everywhere.

Not sure it's down to "rules", more logistics.

Archived