Master Chef’s Dinner

Do your kids LOVE mushrooms???? They are in almost everything. I had a hard time finding something to eat. I thought the "lobster bisque" would be my saving grace that meal. My guess is that possibly someone walked through the galley with a lobster while it was made. Now I dine elsewhere that night.

The replies seem quite mixed !!!!

IMO it seems seems that people who have expereinced it more than a couple of times are the ones that want to miss it.

I'm thinking that the fact that we've not experienced this HAL evening and the fact we have kids, it may well be worth giving it a a try ??

what do you think ????

------

We missed it on our first cruise, must have been on a night we ate in the Pinnacle. Our second cruise we experienced it. It was our first, and we kind of enjoyed it. I do think kids would particularly like it. I agree that the menu was limited and not our favorite. Our waiters seemed to kind of like hamming it up. Would we see it a second time....probably not, except that it is usually on the last night and I like to eat in the DR and tip our waiters on the last night. I can see how those that have seen it over and over would like to miss it. I think once is good for us.

The replies seem quite mixed !!!!

IMO it seems seems that people who have expereinced it more than a couple of times are the ones that want to miss it.

I'm thinking that the fact that we've not experienced this HAL evening and the fact we have kids, it may well be worth giving it a a try ??

what do you think ????

------

Will your children enjoy the menu??

I have read here where some people could not get the children's menu that evening as the waiters are just too swamped to do special orders.

• 1 month later...

After reading these comments it seems to me that I wouldn't enjoy the Master Chef Dinner.

I will be cruising with HAL on the Mediteranean Romance cruise from Venice on the 4th September.

Would any one who has done this cruise this year please advise which night the MCD was held so that we can pre-book the Pinnacle Grill.

I assume it is possible to book Pinnacle pre-cruise?

Thanks for any advice on this.

You didn't say how old your kids are, but I would say younger kids (under 12 maybe) would get a kick out wearing the hats and see the waiters twirling napkins. IF you get one of the waiters that likes hamming it up for kids that would make it more enjoyable for them, but many of the waiters are obviously just going through the motions unenthusiastically.

Other than that twilrling napkins part, most of the show takes place in the center of the room and on the stairs, a place that a large part of the dining room can not see, so it's just loud sound to many tables. Then there's the fact that it drags the dining time out greatly, so very young children might get cranky before it's all over.

Personally I think the shows should stay in the show lounge.

I assume it is possible to book Pinnacle pre-cruise?
Yes, either on-line (For Booked Guests, Order Onboard Gifts) or by calling Ship Services at 800-541-1576. But it is often not possible to determine in advance when the M.C. night will be.

Yep, make your own opinion I always say!

I agree -- try it once, anyway. When I read the description, I thought it sounded corny, even silly, (gives a whole new meaning to "playing with your food"!) and is not something I would care for. Still, my life, and all the experiences in it, are my story to tell -- and I want to tell it first hand. Maybe I won't like the MCD, maybe I will, but I want the experience. Once, anyway. I may be joining all the other "been there-done that;)" cruisers in the PG in the future, but this time I'm opting for the MDR.

One more point - most of the show (other than the napkin twirling number) takes place in the center of the room and/or on the stairs - a place that a great many tables (maybe half) can not see. To all of these tables it is just loud sound interfering with dinner.

Maybe much of the difference between those who liked it and those who didn't results from where their table was! :)

Archived