Master Chef’s Dinner

Hi,

We will be 1st time HAL cruisers on the Oosterdam in August. :cool:

Can anyone tell us exactly what the 'Master Chef’s Dinner' is please ? There seems to be plenty of reference to this looking through the boards, but no one really says what it is. :confused:

Is it something we should make a point of going to or is it something to avoid and possibly go to to The Pinnacle Grill that evening ?? Or are we worrying about something that wont even be available on the Oosterdam ???

thanks in advance

--

Master Chef Dinner:

The group "The Mix" from the Crow's Nest played the music about 80% of the time. The crew staff and dancers from the production shows led the waitstaff in the dance routines. The lead singer from the cast did the opening song. It was the only time she sang. Since she was on the steps, halfway down, many people didn't even know that she was singing.

When we entered the dining room there was already a Parker House with various seeds on top on the butter plate which was under your chef's toque and menu. The menu was a special cut out showing a spatula, cork screw, rolling pin, chopping knife and big spoon.

Then we had the Ballet Service. This was the only time we had a singer. The waitstaff entered both levels of the dining room to the tune of "Swan Lake". The assistant waiter held the try of napkins while the waiter placed them in our laps. The crew and cast had to help out here in some sections as there weren't enough waitstaff to quickly get the napkins to everyone.

Act 1 - Once again the waitstaff, crew and cast entered the dining room carrying the Chef's Amuse Surprise -- mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche. This was a tiny empty puff pastry with a tiny dab of mouuse on top.

After those dishes were cleared away, the waitstaff. crew and cast again assembled in the hall and entered the dining room to begin Act 2 -- The Swing Service. The crew and staff "mixed" the salad in HUGE salad bowls to music -- waitstaff get throwing in fake tomatoes, peppers, etc -- some of the waitstaff tried to juggle the peppers -- very funny. Show Salad Spectacular: menu said that we were to have assorted baby greens, pepper rings, mushrooms, scallions & cherry tomatoes with a honey mustard dressing. What we actually got was a tomato stuffed with the assorted baby greens, enoki mushrooms with chopped up onion, scallions and peppers sprinkled on top and the honey mustard dressing drizzled over everything.

Then the waiters came around and took our orders for the Starters and Entrees.

Starters:

1.Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with avocado: cold smoked, pickled and chipotle-hot-smoked salmon with lime-avocado-tomato sauce. DH had this -- loved it the first segment. 2nd segment -- it was mostly BIG chunks of onion and very little salmon.

2.Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough served with a cinnamon-spiced apple cranberry compote -- have had this many times in the past -- love it -- it was excellent the first segment -- not completely heated through -- brie -- wasn't even melted a little bit.

3.Lobster Bisque sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced with aged French cognac and whipped cream. We both have had this in the past -- it's okay -- not one of our favorites.

4.Oxtail En Crote - flavorful classical soup slow-simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust -- excellent both segments.

Entrees:

1.Tagliatelli with Roasted Chicken & Portobello Muchrooms tossed in olive oil and lemon cream.

2.Sauteed shrimps "Provencales" scented with Mediterranean herbs, tomato concassee', florets of crisp, tender broccoli and sticky rice -- you got 4 medium size shrimps -- some people ordered 3 of this dish in order to get more shrimp -- which sent the waiter into a tizzy since they were on a time schedule.

3.Apricot Glazed Salmon with Soya Garlic and Ginger Spalsh -- I have had this on other ships and love it. 1st segment -- excellent RED sockeye salmon -- 2nd segment -- pink salmon -- tasteless.

4.Duck Breast a l'Orange - the old time favorite, oven roasted until crisp amd served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, pea pods, carrots julienne and William potatoes. DH had this the first segment -- excellent.

5.Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef on an earthy bed of calvados-spiked mushroom ragout, with vegetable bundle, braised onion & horseradish mashed potato. DH had this the second time -- beef was tough and fatty.

6.Wild Mushroom Strudel - selected forest mushroom spinach & feta cheese rolled in Phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served with a Thai red curry sauce and a timbale of basmati rice.

Act 3 - The Final Service --- the waitstaff, crew and cast began to assemble out in the hallway around 7:15 for this. Then they came parading into the dining room carrying trays of Chef's Rudi's "Hat's Off" dessert. Some of the cast and crew members had bottles of fake champagne that when they popped the corks, some bottles sent out streamers aimed towards the chandeliers which also landed on the people and tables directly below. Other fake botles of champagne gave off smoke. We have had this dessert before. There is a small piece of cake resembling a peg that holds the chef's hat in place - the chef's hat is made out of white chocolate - chef's hat conceals a small amount of chocolate mousse. It was excellent the 1st segment. The second segment -- the cake was flavored in mint -- the mousse was flavored in mint. All you could taste was mint!! A lot of white chocolate went to waste. Many people could not (including us) break the hat up -- it was too thick in places.

Frequently the full production show isn't held on the Vistas and the E-dam, but the limited menu is. It's a little more palatable without the show, but not by much. If you don't like mushrooms, you won't like the dinner.

Yes, it's a good night to go to the Pinnacle.

All "show" and no go. The food is sacrificed for the show, as a result the food is sub-par at best and the service is hurried as the wait staff must sing and dance instead of doing their job of waiting on your table. Go to the PG or the Lido buffett.

We agree that the Master Chef's dinner has seen it days and needs to be laid to rest! It's getting harder to get a reservation in the Pinnacle Grill on these nights which should be an indication to Hal that it has exceeded it's course.

All "show" and no go. The food is sacrificed for the show, as a result the food is sub-par at best and the service is hurried as the wait staff must sing and dance instead of doing their job of waiting on your table. Go to the PG or the Lido buffett.

I could not agree with you more, it is truly the worst night of a cruise for the menu. I refuse to go to another one. It really is that bad.

I agree that the performance part of Master Chef Dinner is a bit of a dumb-downed show, but I’ve seen a lot of very happy cruisers watching & clapping as their waiters juggle their way thru the DR. For those of us that have seen it many times, it does get old quickly, but I expect it has some appeal for folks new to HAL.

The menu is indeed more limited than on other nites & there a few items that we don’t enjoy. But overall, we don’t have much problem making choices. In fact, some of the appetizers & entrees offered for Master Chef Dinner are among our faves. We used to go to Pinnacle Grill that nite, but now we go to the DR & simply enjoy it for what it is! ;);)

I agree that the performance part of Master Chef Dinner is a bit of a dumb-downed show, but I’ve seen a lot of very happy cruisers watching & clapping as their waiters juggle their way thru the DR. For those of us that have seen it many times, it does get old quickly, but I expect it has some appeal for folks new to HAL.

The menu is indeed more limited than on other nites & there a few items that we don’t enjoy. But overall, we don’t have much problem making choices. In fact, some of the appetizers & entrees offered for Master Chef Dinner are among our faves. We used to go to Pinnacle Grill that nite, but now we go to the DR & simply enjoy it for what it is! ;);)

I tend to agree with you! Perhaps it's because we've only done ONE, but hubby & I really enjoyed the Master Chef dinner. Our stewards and the others with them looked to having a wonderful time :). It was a very fun event! Not a fan of the Baked Alaska though! And I can understand those who are repeat HAL cruisers wouldn't find it so enjoyable.....

Master Chef's Dinner is something that should be done away with IMO. The food is not up to par, service suffers - and even though the waiters smile through it all - most of them really do not like it, but it is part of the job. If you want a circus act with your dinner, by all means go, but I avoid them like the plague after 4 or 5 with no improvement:)

Horrible, horrible, horrible! We would have gone to the Lido but for the fact that it was the last night and we wanted to give a big extra tip to our regular waiter in the Anytime Dining section who worked under impossible odds with hardly any backup-- but that's a whole other story. The staff looked miserable; we were unamused; and the timing was so off that we were done with our main course while others in the room were just being served theirs. Not wanting to wait around for ever for heaven knew what, we threw in the towel, thanked our waiter for all he'd done for us and went to the Lido for an ice cream cone. For what it's worth, the place was packed.

How do you know when the Master Chef's dinner is? Do they post it somewhere so that you can make reservations early?

When you board, head to the Pinnacle asap. Ask if/when there will be a Master Chef's Dinner. The Maitre d' at the Pinnacle will have the schedule. Make your reservations while you're there.

When you board, head to the Pinnacle asap. Ask if/when there will be a Master Chef's Dinner. The Maitre d' at the Pinnacle will have the schedule. Make your reservations while you're there.

Are they not usually on the last night?:confused:

Are they not usually on the last night?:confused:

Not always. On my Veendam cruise in February it was smack, dab in the middle of the week.

Even if every cruise this Alaska season was a last-night MC Dinner, no harm in double-checking. I've been on cruises where we checked on boarding, and made the Pinnacle Grille reservation, only to find out later in the cruise that the MC Dinner night had been changed. :eek:

Had to scramble to get the Pinnacle Grill reservation changed.

It is not the worst night in the world, but I don't quite see the point. It's obvious that some of the staff find the event humiliating. It's corny, to say the least, and takes away from the otherwise refined nature of a HAL dining experience.

There are some good things on the menu, but service is always subpar because the servers must concentrate on something other than serving food.

Do they do this even with anytime dining???? This is not something I would enjoy at all....

Actually it is my understanding that if you have Dine As You Wish they assign you a time to come to the lower level. Because that evening there is no Dine As You Wish (except the Lido;)) There is an early DIning and Late Dining.

It is not the worst night in the world, but I don't quite see the point. It's obvious that some of the staff find the event humiliating. It's corny, to say the least, and takes away from the otherwise refined nature of a HAL dining experience.

There are some good things on the menu, but service is always subpar because the servers must concentrate on something other than serving food.

Dave, you have summed it up quite well. I suspect in my parents' time when the pax would dress up for a masquerade night, this sort of antic was well received. We are embarrassed for our wait staff and find the food a bit colder and less delectable on this night. We tend to participate as it is usually at end of cruise and we want to see our tablemates one last time and tip the wait staff.

harry

Do they do this even with anytime dining???? This is not something I would enjoy at all....

During our Christmas cruise (2008) on the Statendam, we had this menu, but not the 'show' in open seating. It was our last night. I recall this specifically because this menu was a bit of a let-down to end the cruise. I tried the strudel, but it wasn't to my liking. I'm also not much of a Baked Alaska fan. (I liked it the first two times I tried it... I'm not sure what happened after that. Maybe it was the open seating, so the dessert was prepared too far in advance?) I did like the Brie in Phyllo dough!

I wonder... if the showtimes are at 7 and 9, does this impact the ability of the show staff to lead the dining staff during the show... :confused: That may be a death knell...

I wonder... if the showtimes are at 7 and 9, does this impact the ability of the show staff to lead the dining staff during the show... :confused: That may be a death knell...

The "show" is held on a night when the ship performers don't have a stage production. There's a headliner performing that night.

Death knell---we should be so lucky. :rolleyes:

The replies seem quite mixed !!!!

IMO it seems seems that people who have expereinced it more than a couple of times are the ones that want to miss it.

I'm thinking that the fact that we've not experienced this HAL evening and the fact we have kids, it may well be worth giving it a a try ??

what do you think ????

------

The replies seem quite mixed !!!!

IMO it seems seems that people who have expereinced it more than a couple of times are the ones that want to miss it.

I'm thinking that the fact that we've not experienced this HAL evening and the fact we have kids, it may well be worth giving it a a try ??

what do you think ????

------

Yep, make your own opinion I always say!;) Hubby & I enjoyed it, and for sure our children would have as well. At least once!

Archived