Asian Capitals and Vietnam II - Jan30 2010

cands

If you decide to take a Junk in Halong Bay, and if you are able to climb a lot of steps, negotiate with them to take you through one of the caves. I was complaining about how many steps (some of them are just logs in the ground) until I got inside the cave. It was astounding. I would do the climb again just for that experience.

Steve,

I know this is OP but a favor to ask, if you don't mind. We'll be in Melbourne for one day during the world cruise, If I give you my email address would you mind giving a few suggestions as to how to best spend the day? Thanks.

Sure Henry, would love to offer some suggestions. If you recall, we have already exchanged e-mail addresses when you kindly helped with tour suggestions for Vietnam:)

I'm at work at the moment but will be in touch in the next few days.

Cheers,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...we are on this cruise and looking for others who would like to join us on tours. We did the Northern Baltic cruise this past May and loved having our own tours. I just booked with Seabourn so haven't started my research but we are looking for two to three other couples interested in private tours. My email is travelsporter2@gmail.com if you are interested. We are excited about this trip!

Also, anyone know if it is typically rough seas for this route? Don't like being seasick!

Hi. We are interested in sharing tours. I tried e-mailing you,but I don't know if it went through. My e-mail is kathyspooner at hotmail dot com. It's nice to hear from another passenger. This roll call hasn't been that active with current passengers, although it has many helpful posts from experienced SB cruisers.

Kathy

So sorry Kathy we ended up switch dates and ships. We are going the middle of Feb on Silversea. Good luck with your tours! Hang in there if you can find some other people to join you it is WAY better than the cruise ship tours! Julie

Thanks Julie for getting back. So sorry you won't be on my cruise, but I am sure you will have a wonderful time on SS.

Any other passengers want to "check in"?

I wonder how "full" the ship is? Final payment coming up next week...

Still haven't booked flights/hotels. Hopefully, I will become more enthusiastic soon!

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

You betcha! Our final payment was about $1500 less than we expected when we booked.:)

I expect there will be a few Aussies on board, as the Asia cruises have been heavily marketed here by a local on-line agency.

Hey Henry,

What a nice thought. How about Crystal Symphony next November, right in your back yard? We'll be meeting Suite Travels (Miles and Dan), Beav (Brian and Gary), plus about 70 other CC folk.

Our next Seabourn trip will probably be later in 2011 or even 2012, hopefully to northern Europe.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Not sure about next November though you make it sound tempting. After the WC we're thinking of finally doing Alaska on Silversea next July/August so maybe we'll want to stay on land for a while. Of course, I have been known to change my mind.

• 1 month later...

I am getting excited! Finally made my air arrangements. We are flying from JFK to Beijing nonstop on Air China- spending 3 nights there- hoping the weather cooperates so I can sightsee for 2 days (the city and the Wall). I'm trying to limit the weight of my suitcase, but I'm afraid I may need to bring my winter jacket. (Can you "rent" warm jackets there?)

Then we're off to HKG for 3 nights- then join cruise! Afterwards 2 nights in SIN, then off to BKK and Angkor Wat back to BKK and home.

Still looking into hotels for SIN, 1 night in BKK, and 4 nights in Siem Reap.

Also- haven't made tour arrangements yet, though I have sent some e-mails. I read that the museums in Hanoi are closed on Mondays- the day that we will be there.

Hoping to hear from fellow passengers- it is not that far away anymore!

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Yes, it really is getting close now! Your arrangements sound fantastic. You really are making the most of it before and after the cruise.

This is a short rest and recovery vacation for us. We are just aching to be on a Seabourn ship again. We've decided not to take any long shore excursions. We're going to take the Junk trip on Halong bay. The rest we will probably just wing it and see how we feel once on board.

We booked the hotels for Hong Kong and Singapore months ago. How is the availablility for Singapore now, given we arrive at Chinese New Year?

Apparently Beijing is really cold in winter, so will definitely need to take that coat. I think Hong Kong will be fairly cool and even Halong bay. After that its hot, hot, hot.

Good luck with the rest of your arrangement and do come over and say 'hi' at the Sky Bar during sailaway.

2986492453_101aea5361_m.jpg

Cheers,

Steve (and Chris)

Bill and I will be there! Can't wait. Will be nice to meet you.

Went to SB website, and it looks like most of the categores are wait list only, so more pax must have signed up. Maybe, they will contribute to this roll call, too.

Kathy

We booked the hotels for Hong Kong and Singapore months ago. How is the availablility for Singapore now, given we arrive at Chinese New Year?

2986492453_101aea5361_m.jpg

Hi Steve, We are on this cruise. If you have any hotel recommendations for HK and Singapore please let me know. We are in Hk 3 nights on SIN 1 night. And any restaurants in these cities? One of my fav things is eating great food.

This will be our first cruise on Seabourne. In Nov DH said lets go to Vietnam but it was the rainy season. So I found this great trip. Just hope we are not too spoiled by the Seabourn experience.

Susan and DH-Len

Hi Steve, We are on this cruise. If you have any hotel recommendations for HK and Singapore please let me know. We are in Hk 3 nights on SIN 1 night. And any restaurants in these cities? One of my fav things is eating great food.

This will be our first cruise on Seabourne. In Nov DH said lets go to Vietnam but it was the rainy season. So I found this great trip. Just hope we are not too spoiled by the Seabourn experience.

Susan and DH-Len

Hi Susan an Len,

Congratulations on choosing your first Seabourn cruise. It really is a fantastic way to go! Not that I'm biased, or anything. :) BTW, the photo of us is during the transit of the Corinth canal on our first Seabourn cruise on Spirit last year.

In both Hong Kong and Singapore you're spoiled for choice in both accommodation and eating options. We're staying at the Langham Place hotel in Hong Kong which comes highly recommended to us by word of mouth and also from Tripadvisor. In Singapore we're staying at the Grand Hyatt.

Previously we have stayed at the Marco Polo Hong Kong hotel right at the cruise terminal, which was nice, and very convenient. In Singapore we have stayed at Raffles (wonderful, historic - a special experience) and also at several other mid priced 4 and 5 star hotels, all of which have been fine).

As far as food is concerned I have no specific recommendations other than to get out of the hotel amongst the people and enjoy the local ambience and cuisine. We have done this previously in both HK and Singapore and have not been disappointed. Both cities are very safe and easy to get around.

We look forward to meeting you on board

Cheers,

Steve (and Chris)

Steve and Chris,

Have a wonderful, wonderful time. I know you can't help doing that on SB.

Henry

Thanks so much, Henry. Of course the same goes to you on your big Odyssey trip. You must leave about the same time?

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived