Asian Capitals and Vietnam II - Jan30 2010

cands

Hi all. I am sorry for just now replying to this thread, but I was originally booked on the Dec.19 Hong Kong to Singapore Pride cruise, but had to postpone. Now I am booked on the Jan. 30th sailing, and am catching up on the Cruise Critic posts. I too am looking forward to this wonderful itinerary, never having ever been to this part of the world. I was able to get great accommodations at the Inter-Continental both in Hong Kong (2 nights) and in Singapore (1 night). I have booked several excursions through Seabourn, mostly 1/2 or 3/4 day trips. I am now doing some research as to some tours of Hong Kong when I arrive (I will have a full day), and Singapore at the conclusion of the sailing (I will also have a full day). Any suggestions?

Looking forward to meeting all at the sky bar.

Hi GiGi's Mom,

Welcome to our "roll call". We are still looking into tours while onboard- as well as in Hong Kong and Singapore- although i think we will visit the night zoo and Sentosa Island- since it will be Chinese new Year and I have heard most of Chinatown is "closed down" for Feb 14 and 15, 2010- so to find alternatives, such as the Indian section- or as above.

We are looking for tours in Bangkok, too. Anyone interested in sharing tours?

Thanks,

kathy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone- this cruise is less than 3 weeks away- and I can't believe it! Still planning my tours- and trying to decide what to do on my non scheduled tour days- such as in Hong Kong, Singapore and Siem Reap .I plan to visit Angkor Wat, etc, but what else beside temples? Should I do a scheduled tour in HK and SIN- or HO- HO bus?

I am looking forward to meeting those on the cruise with me- and really appreciate all the helpful input by other SB veterans.

Thank you,

Kathy

Kathy,

Hope you are planning on going to Angkor Wat pre or post cruise. If you do it with Seabourn you give up a couple of wonderful days of the cruise. We flew into singapore a few days early and caught a short flight to Siem Reap, hada private tour guide through Exotissimo meet us at the airport and take us around a for a day and a half, stayed at the lovely Orient Express L'Angkor Hotel and paid about half of what Seabourn charged -- not to mention we did not miss the days in Bangkok.

Jagi,

We were extremely pleased with Exotissimo -- I'll be anxious to hear how your experience is with them in Myanmar.

Kathy,

You are so smart -- you will have plenty of time to see all of the temples in the area. With a day and a half we were abit rushed.

I just received an e-mail from Seabourn offering this same itinerary for Feb 27, Mar 13 and April 10th for $3499 pp.

That's a per-day rate of $250.

Wow!

I'm on the mailing list too. Seems to be tailored to Australia. Amazing. The 10 day China ones at the same price look interesting too. It's almost tempting :)

Thanks for the information, Chairsin. I don't know if they'll let me post on this board since, this time, we are not on a cruise. My Seabourn cruise last January whetted my appetite for more of this area. So I have planned our own itinerary for Myanmar, Laos, and a little more time in Hanoi (our day trip gave us only a taste). I will give you feedback on Exotissimo. We have booked them for an 8 day private tour of Myanmar and will use them again in Laos.

Kathy 16.

We spent 4 days in Siem Riep pre-cruise 2 years ago, and it was wonderful. 4 days is NOT too much. Take one day for Angkor Wat, another for the ruins further out (One building there is called the woman's temple because the hand carving is so fine only a woman's hand could do it). Siem Riep itself is full of backpackers and very charming. Take a stroll along the river. The markets are wonderful to wander in. I am sure your hotel can arrange the day tours. Be sure and ride the tuk tuks--but bargain first.

Are these private special offers frequent?

That's a good question. I have heard of them before, but this is the first time I have received one. Also, I don't know how 'private' they are.

Did anyone in North America receive this e-mail.?

My assumption is that it is targeted, but I certainly have no proof of that.

When we were on Spirit in the Med in 2008 there were lots of Belgians on board. The rumour was that they were targeted with last minute specials due to the ease of their obtaining vacation time and their affluence.

I set up private tours for my husband and me with Smile Tours at our stops in Vietnam. I also set up a 2 day tour with Bangkok Day Tours in Thailand. If anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know- we can add people, and they can supply a bigger vehicle.

I haven't seen much action on this board from other passengers on this cruise, but it seems it's wait list only for most categories- so you guys must be out there somewhere!!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the ship- it should be fun!

Kathy

Steve,

I did not receive this offer. I think your assumption is correct.

Hey Henry,

Maybe they didn't send it to you due to your being on a fair chunk of the world cruise. Enough is enough:D

I set up private tours for my husband and me with Smile Tours at our stops in Vietnam. I also set up a 2 day tour with Bangkok Day Tours in Thailand. If anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know- we can add people, and they can supply a bigger vehicle.

I haven't seen much action on this board from other passengers on this cruise, but it seems it's wait list only for most categories- so you guys must be out there somewhere!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Just over two weeks to go! Sounds like you've done well with your tour arrangements. We'll be the ones waving you off and welcoming you back, as we're doing very little touring this time.

Hopefully see you at the Sky bar for sailaway.

Weather forecast for Hong Kong over the next few days in for 21c max. (a pleasant 70 or so).

See you soon,

Steve (and Chris)

Kathy

Hi Kathy - we would be interested in joining you for private tours. Could you email me the info - what the tours include and the cost. If you have any questions about us feel free to ask.

ssand24k@aol.com Thanks Susan

That's a good question. I have heard of them before, but this is the first time I have received one. Also, I don't know how 'private' they are.

Did anyone in North America receive this e-mail.?

My assumption is that it is targeted, but I certainly have no proof of that.

When we were on Spirit in the Med in 2008 there were lots of Belgians on board. The rumour was that they were targeted with last minute specials due to the ease of their obtaining vacation time and their affluence.

My email contains the following so it is targeted.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT YOUR TRAVEL PROFESSIONAL OR SEABOURN AUSTRALIA AT 13 24 02.

I recall receiving a similar very good priced Silversea offer also for an Asian cruise a couple of years ago. That time we took the bait and had a great cruise.

I am taking one of the cruises listed, so I checked to see if I could find a "public" offer and could not.

Three months notice and a significant discount might be a very welcome email when I am planning our next vacation :) But if it is your first email, maybe Seabourn is having more trouble than usual filling up ships, and such specials are rather infrequent.

Archived