Have room #, booked through Costco, any chance for an automatic upgrade?

kaclmay

We are booked on Emerald Princess, May 2010 sailing and have 2 Fwd Mini Suites (friends going and we were unable to get them side by side). Was hoping for mid-ship Mini's, but according to Costco Travel and Princess, these were the only two available.

I have been given the room numbers.... so now I'm wondering if there is ANY chance we could get upgraded to another area of the ship, automatically? Meaning, could I get to the ship and find out my room has been changed... or will I know that beforehand? What are the possibilities of getting upgraded if I booked through Costco Travel?

Thanks so much!

I don't think upgrades have anything to do with who you booked your trip through. However, to get a possible upgrade you need to make sure that your TA did not mark your reservation "no upgrades". Since you requested cabins next to each other, chances are your reservation is marked that way. Otherwise, one cabin could get upgraded and the other not upgraded. Most of the time, when you make a request of cabins next to each other, there will be no upgrade.

Your best best would be to keep an eye on available cabins mid-ship. Sometimes cabins will get released that were previously shown as taken. You may be able to move your cabins if you see some open up.

Good luck though!

I don't think upgrades have anything to do with who you booked your trip through. However, to get a possible upgrade you need to make sure that your TA did not mark your reservation "no upgrades". Since you requested cabins next to each other, chances are your reservation is marked that way. Otherwise, one cabin could get upgraded and the other not upgraded. Most of the time, when you make a request of cabins next to each other, there will be no upgrade.

Your best best would be to keep an eye on available cabins mid-ship. Sometimes cabins will get released that were previously shown as taken. You may be able to move your cabins if you see some open up.

Good luck though!

After 15 Princess cruises, the only upgrade we did get was the time we booked two cabins side by side (same family). Went from two outsides to a minisuite, plus $1,200 OBC for the "inconvenience". Our TA notified us two days before the cruise.

After 15 Princess cruises, the only upgrade we did get was the time we booked two cabins side by side (same family). Went from two outsides to a minisuite, plus $1,200 OBC for the "inconvenience". Our TA notified us two days before the cruise.

Wow, that was great. Only that isn't a random upgrade. The ship wanted or needed your previous rooms for some reason and asked y'all to move. Something similar happened to a friend of mine, but she didn't find out until she was boarding. Apparently, there was something broken in the room she was supposed to have. I sure do wish I'd get an offer like that! Congratulations.

I doubt that this post will last long as you are forbidden from mentioning the name of the TA even when that TA is a major retail concern.

Oops, didn't realize that... sorry. I would edit the post, but so far I haven't figured out how. So what happens now? (and I don't mean that in a snobby way) I can understand deleting the thread, but hopefully I won't get banned from posting/asking questions!

thanks everyone for the replies.... hope the Upgrade Fairy waves her magic wand at us!!! I'd love to have a Mini Suite next to our friends, midship. Guess I shouldn't be so picky, I'm going on a cruise and have a Mini - yahoo, and for that I am thankful!!!!

We are booked on Emerald Princess, May 2010 sailing and have 2 Fwd Mini Suites (friends going and we were unable to get them side by side). Was hoping for mid-ship Mini's, but according to Costco Travel and Princess, these were the only two available.

I have been given the room numbers.... so now I'm wondering if there is ANY chance we could get upgraded to another area of the ship, automatically? Meaning, could I get to the ship and find out my room has been changed... or will I know that beforehand? What are the possibilities of getting upgraded if I booked through Costco Travel?

Thanks so much!

I don't know which date you're cruising, but both May 2nd and May 16th are wide open with minis. You have been given cabins in AE cat, which under most circumstances (and even now) is what they use as a guarantee reservation. Whomever you booked with did not do right by you by giving you AE assignments. For not a whole lot more of $$ you can change your cabin now to a better location in AD or AC. Call your agent. BTW, your friends have either AA or AB.

but both May 2nd and May 16th are wide open with minis

Pia, I'm curious to know -- how did you find out or where do you see that there are other mini's available?? When I 'pretend' to book a Mini Suite directly on the Princess website, it tells me I can only choose 'guarantee' and not a specific assigned room.

I did find a little discrepancy in what my TA told me at booking, she said I was getting an upgrade special from a AE to an AD, but I still got the AE cabins. So, I may be calling back tomorrow and asking about that.

How much do you think the $$ difference is btwn an AE & AD? (I got in on some 'promotion' through the company I shouldn't have named in the OP!)

Pia, I'm curious to know -- how did you find out or where do you see that there are other mini's available?? When I 'pretend' to book a Mini Suite directly on the Princess website, it tells me I can only choose 'guarantee' and not a specific assigned room.

I did find a little discrepancy in what my TA told me at booking, she said I was getting an upgrade special from a AE to an AD, but I still got the AE cabins. So, I may be calling back tomorrow and asking about that.

How much do you think the $$ difference is btwn an AE & AD? (I got in on some 'promotion' through the company I shouldn't have named in the OP!)

You don't really have to pretend to book anything. Just log into the site and hit the minis and all the catagories come up with their respective prices. There is very little difference between an AE and AD and even AC is only about $100 more. What's happening is that it is defaulting to the AE and that's why it's only showing guarantees. Hit any other catagory and available cabins will pop up.

We got a move over offer (with major upgrade from inside to balcony), but that was when we were booked through an employee's discount. I would echo what the others have said that upgrades have nothing to do with whom you book...it's if your cabin is wanted to sell to someone else.

One thing to consider too is that sometimes an upgrade isn't an improvement. You're taking a risk that you end up in an undesirable location. That's why many of us mark our bookings "no upgrade."

Archived