Buffet (or other) for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

poffles

For those that choose to eat in the buffet for dinner instead of the main dining area (assuming somebody out there does this) do you find the food okay many nights over? We are planning the port intensive Southern Cruise on the victory so we are thinking we may often be going to dinner directly from a day in port so may often be in shorts.

This is not meant to be a "dress code" discussion. I respect the requirements in the main dining area, which Carnival has already relaxed quite a bit, and we are definitely not likely to do the cruise elegant night.

Thoughts on the buffet or other casual dining options outside the main dining room? Will this get old real quick?

Thank all!!!

Edited to add ... I also asked this question on the Royal Carribean forum as we were also considering AOS cruise. Posted here to get views on Carnival Buffet thinking each ship may be different in the buffet area.

We were on an 8 night cruise on RCI, and only ate in the MDR the first night! Now, most of us know that Carnival has a very good selection of food at the buffet, and there is always some type of 'meat' at the carving station.:)

We enjoyed eating in the Windjammer, vs the MDR, and would do it again..:p I'm sure you'll be fine.. Remember there are also other 'alternative' venues that you can use for 'dining' purposes..:D

We almost always eat in the 'buffet' on CCL, as well, at least one or two nights during a cruise.. We've always been happy!

We were on an 8 day cruise there were are so many different choices at the buffet and each day they changed the menu a little at some of the stations so it kept it interesting, we only went at lunch but I doubt it was any different for the menu at night, I don't think you will get bored with the food.

Just so you know they have really relaxed the dress code for the "formal" night, my husband just wore long pants instead of shorts and a nice polo type shirt, was not out of place at all, we did not see that many in suits it looked like the women dressed up more than the men. Just remember these more formal nights are when they have the lobster so if you are interested in that meal you may want to rethink the dining room.

What I noticed that the buffet for dinner is that they would include some dishes from the Main Dining menu, within reason. Didnt see any lobster tails on the buffet, but I did notice some of the same selections offered such as the pasta dishes, soup and some of the meat dishes.

We ate in the buffet every night on 2 of our cruises with Carnival......never had a problem finding food. As Calicruise pointed out they will have some of the same selections as the main dining room. The soups and sides and we also enjoyed prime rib on elegant night......

Also it is not as crowded at dinner time, no standing in long lines......

It has come down to us if the ship does not offer anytime dining this is what we will do from now one.........

My last cruise I ate all but the first night on the Lido buffet/pizza area instead. I have never had truly rude/ignorant table mates until that cruise. I opted for easy, quick meals that let me do a little more...the MDR service was excellent and out server truly wanted to please us, alas, lousy tablemates and an alternate/changed table didn't do much at all (not many choices for a better table, the changed table was with people 50-70, I'm 39 and a table with 30somethings would have been nice...)

I ate at Mongolian grill and it was fabulous--mainly cuz YOU get to choose what you want in your meal. Mental note--when cooked, 1/2 bowl will be 1/4, and a full bowl will be 1/2 bowl.....

Just remember these more formal nights are when they have the lobster so if you are interested in that meal you may want to rethink the dining room.

Thanks for the feedback. Missing lobster is not a concern for me and my travel mates. We live in Nova Scotia and with cheap (and good) lobster these days, we have it often. It's been around 4.50 a pound lately and having close contacts with the lobster fishermen you get good sized full lobsters straight from the boat so we are spoiled. It cracks me up when I see it on menus in local restaurants around here ... one place had a special of $33 for a 1.5lb lobster meal (with potato or something to fill the dish) ... UNBELIEVABLE!!! They are making a killing on tourists!!!

Our last couple of cruises have been with our infant daughter so we have chosen to eat in the Buffett and I will say that the food is not as good as the dining room but is still pretty good. They have a different pasta of the day as well as a different carved meat. The sandwich station and pizza were always a option as well. I also found that the crew working the buffett was very attentive and helpfull.

My wife and I did this one time on our Ecstasy cruise last fall. I'll have to say it was one of the most relaxing cruises we've ever taken. The buffet food was much better than I expected.

I do, however, love the dining room experience as well, but it was a nice change for this particular cruise.

Thanks for the feedback. Missing lobster is not a concern for me and my travel mates. We live in Nova Scotia and with cheap (and good) lobster these days, we have it often. It's been around 4.50 a pound lately and having close contacts with the lobster fishermen you get good sized full lobsters straight from the boat so we are spoiled. It cracks me up when I see it on menus in local restaurants around here ... one place had a special of $33 for a 1.5lb lobster meal (with potato or something to fill the dish) ... UNBELIEVABLE!!! They are making a killing on tourists!!!

this being the case you wont want to waste your time on the lobster night... they are so tiny anyway and you only get the tail, and I have seen on this site often not cooked well (ours were fine), you are lucky to get them so cheap:)

We were on an 8 night Miracle cruise a few weeks ago....and ate in the MDR only once (first night).

The buffet offers something for everyone...and instead of those tiny portions, you take as much as you want, of what you want and you sit where you want. There were new and different choices at each meal.

Personally, I don't see the point of the MDR....but that's another thread.

I am learning that the buffet dining may not be as casual as I thought on all ships. From my question on the Royal Carribean forum I am discovering that on that fleet you are expected to dress more upscale casual which I'm learning to be more equivalent to Carnival's Cruise Casual to mean no shorts and perhaps no jeans either! This is not what I consider casual dining in a buffet.

So as a followup question, those that have cruised and eaten in the Carnival buffet, is it truely casual dress during the evening dining times ... ie shorts and/or jeans allowed?

Thought I'd better get this straight since it makes a big difference in how you pack.

I am learning that the buffet dining may not be as casual as I thought on all ships. From my question on the Royal Carribean forum I am discovering that on that fleet you are expected to dress casual which I am learning to be equivalent to Carnival's cruise casual to mean no shorts and slacks! This is not what I consider casual dining.

So as a followup question, those that have cruised and eaten in the Carnival buffet, is it truely casual dress at the evening dining times ... ie shorts allowed? Or at least jeans every night?

Thought I'd better get this straight.

You can wear shorts and jeans in Carnivals buffet and you can wear dress shorts and jeans in the main dining room.

You can also wear shorts and jeans in Royal Caribbeans buffet......in their main dining room you can wear jeans but no shorts........

Hope that helps....

For those that choose to eat in the buffet for dinner instead of the main dining area (assuming somebody out there does this) do you find the food okay many nights over? We are planning the port intensive Southern Cruise on the victory so we are thinking we may often be going to dinner directly from a day in port so may often be in shorts.

This is not meant to be a "dress code" discussion. I respect the requirements in the main dining area, which Carnival has already relaxed quite a bit, and we are definitely not likely to do the cruise elegant night.

Thoughts on the buffet or other casual dining options outside the main dining room? Will this get old real quick?

Thank all!!!

Edited to add ... I also asked this question on the Royal Carribean forum as we were also considering AOS cruise. Posted here to get views on Carnival Buffet thinking each ship may be different in the buffet area.

Greetings poffles: The food at the buffett is pretty good. I've eaten there a few times, but, my wife likes to be served at least for dinner. And unlike RCCL the food is itentified as to what it is so there is no guessing game or leftovers.

You can wear shorts and jeans in Carnivals buffet and you can wear dress shorts and jeans in the main dining room.

You can also wear shorts and jeans in Royal Caribbeans buffet......in their main dining room you can wear jeans but no shorts........

Hope that helps....

Thanks that helps a lot. As for the Royal Carribean there seems to be a debate on what is allowed in the buffet. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19858747&posted=1#post19858747

Greetings poffles: The food at the buffett is pretty good. I've eaten there a few times, but, my wife likes to be served at least for dinner. And unlike RCCL the food is itentified as to what it is so there is no guessing game or leftovers.

Thanks ... always good to have the food identifiable before the taste test. :)

Thanks that helps a lot. As for the Royal Carribean there seems to be a debate on what is allowed in the buffet. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19858747&posted=1#post19858747

I had to laugh at that one lol! You will also get some on here that say jeans are not allowed in the main dining room on Carnival too:p Even though they have for the past 10 years:D

You will be fine on either line wearing shorts for dinner in the buffet.

And guess what.......Royal Caribbeans food is identifiable too....I had no problem;)

You can't go wrong on either line:)

On Carnival when do they have the different buffets geared towards different counties. For example Mexican food night and others. Also what other countries do they offer. I think I read that it changes during the cruise. Looking forward to trying new things.

Our last two cruises (Liberty and Freedom) they had 'Taste of Nations' Station..:p While I don't remember each different 'Nation', I LOVE fish, and they had quite an array of a different seafood dish each nite! I really enjoyed it...:)

Hoping they have something similar on the Legend this month!!:D

It's at the Buffet...

Not really at the long buffet area... Off to the side.. may be a salad area in-between or desserts... Maybe to the starboard side below the Fish & Chips..!:rolleyes::)

You could actually miss it if you don't look for it... It's not that big of an area..:p I remember coming back to the table, and the wife said "where did you find that??"..;)

Archived