Do you take your passport off the ship w/you?

royal girl

No, we never take our passport off the ship in any country that does not require you to do so...and Bermuda does not require it. We keep our passports locked in our room safe. We carry our ship's room card and drivers license. Some people carry a photo copy of their passport with them. It's not needed but it makes some people feel more secure.

By the way, you don't even need a passport for a closed loop cruise departing the US to countries, such as Bermuda, covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. An original or certified (raised seal) birth certificate and a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license is all you need.

Edited by njhorseman

no not in Bermuda I leave it on the ship and only carry my NY Drivers license. actually in most places I leave the Passport on the ship as I am going to the (any)beach notorious for having things stolen. You are more likely to get your passport stolen/lost than getting stranded....(I have seen statistics on this for the British in Egypt)...

Yes, I take my passport with me off the ship. Years of experience have taught me to never, ever, travel into a foreign country without your US passport.

No, Bermuda only requires your cabin card and a picture ID.

I'm curious about what happened in your years of travel experience to warrant your statement...at least in a place like Bermuda.

Even if you were somehow the ship left you in Bermuda I can assure you that after a little bit of a hassle and paperwork you would be able to fly home to the US. You wouldn't be forced to spend the rest of your days in the no man's land of an airport holding cell. ;)

On many cruise lines they hold our passport. But either way this questions comes up all the time on various cruise boards. There is no right or wrong to this. It's what you feel is best.

We do not take our passport with us if the cruise line doesn't hold it and if we are staying at a hotel when we travel abroad we leave it in the safe. Why? Because we believe there is a much higher probability that we will either lose our passport or it will be stolen than the odds of us missing the ship. We do carry a copy with us. Yes, the copy can't be used in lieu of the passport but it can be used to facilitate getting a new passport.

And finally, if you are on a ship that does not hold your passport and should you not get back in time they will give your passport to the local port authorities. So, you will have the passport to use to either meet the ship at the next port or in the case of Bermuda to fly home.

So, for these reasons we do not take our passport with us off any ship.

Keith

I don't so much as set foot across the border into Canada without it in my pocket. Why? Because if something stupid happens, I want all the weight of international treaty law behind me. How am I supposed to prove am an American citizen and demand consular services if I don't have my passport?

What happens if you .... say ... accidentally get in a bar fight? You don't know the local justice system. You don't know your rights. Without a passport, you can't demand someone from the American Embassy come hold your hand because you can't prove you're a US citizen.

I don't so much as set foot across the border into Canada without it in my pocket. Why? Because if something stupid happens, I want all the weight of international treaty law behind me. How am I supposed to prove am an American citizen and demand consular services if I don't have my passport?

What happens if you .... say ... accidentally get in a bar fight? You don't know the local justice system. You don't know your rights. Without a passport, you can't demand someone from the American Embassy come hold your hand because you can't prove you're a US citizen.

THeer is no right or wrong here. Each person does what they think is best.

When we go across the border we have our passport. But then when we get to the hotel we don't carry it with us.

You obviously do.

Each person should do as they think is best for them.

Keith

THeer is no right or wrong here. Each person does what they think is best.

When we go across the border we have our passport. But then when we get to the hotel we don't carry it with us.

You obviously do.

Each person should do as they think is best for them.

Keith

True enough, but I don't understand the logic of getting said passport just to leave it in a safe in a hotel or a cruiseship. One of the the reasons for having the passport is to identify yourself as a US citizen in a foreign land, you can't very well do that if it's not on you.

True enough, but I don't understand the logic of getting said passport just to leave it in a safe in a hotel or a cruiseship. One of the the reasons for having the passport is to identify yourself as a US citizen in a foreign land, you can't very well do that if it's not on you.

As I said earlier on most of the cruise lines we are on they hold our passport for us so we don't take it with us anyway.

We take the passport with us because we have to. If we fly to Europe we can't leave the USA, enter Europe, or return to the USA with out it. But, when we arrive in Europe or any other place we keep it in the safe. We do so because we think there is a far greater chance that we will lose it or it will be stolen than say missing the cruise ship or anything like that.

Again, personal choice but my wife and I have been on two Full World Cruises in 2007 and 2008 visiiting visiting over 30+ countries on each cruise and we only had the passport off the ship once. And that is because the local country required we take it with us.

Keith

As I said earlier on most of the cruise lines we are on they hold our passport for us so we don't take it with us anyway.

Out of curiousity, which lines have you experienced this on?

We take the passport with us because we have to. If we fly to Europe we can't leave the USA, enter Europe, or return to the USA with out it. But, when we arrive in Europe or any other place we keep it in the safe. We do so because we think there is a far greater chance that we will lose it or it will be stolen than say missing the cruise ship or anything like that.

What uncivilized parts of the world are you visiting in which this is so high a risk? I kid. I get that. I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Again, personal choice but my wife and I have been on two Full World Cruises in 2007 and 2008 visiiting visiting over 30+ countries on each cruise and we only had the passport off the ship once. And that is because the local country required we take it with us.

Sound like a heckuva trip Keith.

Out of curiousity, which lines have you experienced this on?

All of our cruises with Crystal Cruise Lines and with Seabourn the Passport is collected when you check in for the cruise.

Our Passport was also collected by Princess Cruise Lines for a Mediterranean Cruise.

Keith

Two points.

First you do not need a passport to cross into Canada just valid ID. However US customs now requires you to have a Passport to enter the US. So any problem you have will be with US customs and Air carriers.

Second You do not need passport on shore but if you have any problems miss boat illness you could have problems.

Two points.

First you do not need a passport to cross into Canada just valid ID. However US customs now requires you to have a Passport to enter the US. So any problem you have will be with US customs and Air carriers.

Yeah, I know. I got to Canada several times a year.

Second You do not need passport on shore but if you have any problems miss boat illness you could have problems.

You don't know that. You never know when you're going to need a passport in a foreign country. You don't know what's going to happen, if you're going to have to fly home in a hurry, if you're going to need legal representation, whatever. I don't worry about losing my passport, because I'm pretty good at holding onto important things. I worry more about something happening where I need the Department of State to intervene on my behalf -- quick -- and not being able to get that help because my passport is on a cruise ship.

Let me try this one more time. This question comes up often on various boards.

Many people say keep the passport with you on the ship and the hotel and not carry it around with you.

Others say to carry it with you.

In the end, there is no right or wrong.

I think the OP has enough input to make a decision and if not let's let the OP come back with any questions.

Because after a while there is really no more value to add here.

Keith

sorry but the most like scenario is you will lose or have your passport stolen(or go swimming with it still in your pocket). If you NEED your passport and its on the ship, the ship can and will arrange for it to be given to the port agent. Most places want you as a tourist and the passport on the ship is of really little moment but of course you can do what ever you want to it is after all your passport not mine.

and by the way its immigration/border protection that cares if you have your passport(customs and border protection) the people who look through your luggage don't care if you have a passport....

and beginning mid june except for certain exceptions or alternate id(passport cards) you do need a passport at the land border crossings...

Edited by smeyer418

sorry but the most like scenario is you will lose or have your passport stolen. If you NEED your passport and its on the ship, the ship can and will arrange for it to be given to the port agent. Most places want you as a tourist and the passport on the ship is of really little moment but of course you can do what ever you want to it is after all your passport not mine.

and by the way its immigration/border protection that cares if you have your passport(customs and border protection) the people who look through your luggage don't care if you have a passport....

and beginning mid june except for certain exceptions or alternate id(passport cards) you do need a passport at the land border crossings...

Everything you've said has been said, which is my point.

We've already said one might lose or have their passport stolen.

And we've already said if you don't make it back to the ship it will be left with the port agent.

In the end there are many like me who say leave the passport on the ship.

But there are others who say take it with you.

Again, it's a personal choice.

Like most things in life.

Keith

And we've already said if you don't make it back to the ship it will be left with the port agent.

Keith

Keith

Not all cruise lines take your passport and I would think today the majority do not. If some one has left it in the cabin it is very hard for them to leave it with the Port Agent.

I do agree it is up to each to decide.

Everything you've said has been said, which is my point.

We've already said one might lose or have their passport stolen.

Keith

actually what you said was

"And finally, if you are on a ship that does not hold your passport and should you not get back in time they will give your passport to the local port authorities"...

the Port agent who is given it by the ship is NOT a local port authority. What he is is the agent of the cruise line who is responsible for shore side issues. he gets the clearance orders supplies and is responsible for paying the local port charges but he is not a port official.(in fact in Bermuda I think its a company called Meyer....) http://www.meyer.bm/shipping.html

no one said about swimming with it and you in fact repeated these that others have posted long time ago. If not repeating something was your object you really over did your self.

Edited by smeyer418

@njhorseman: I have lived overseas in Europe and traveled throughout Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Europe. More importantly, in my business, I send people outside the US all the time.

As we tell our travelers, the passport is the only sure identification you have that you are a US citizen, with all the rights and privileges thereof. If anything goes wrong, its your insurance policy.

You're right that in many cases, nothing goes wrong, and you don't need it.

If you ever run into anyone who has suddenly found themselves far, far away with nothing more than the dark blue book, you will carry yours with you whenever you travel.

@njhorseman: I have lived overseas in Europe and traveled throughout Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Europe. More importantly, in my business, I send people outside the US all the time.

As we tell our travelers, the passport is the only sure identification you have that you are a US citizen, with all the rights and privileges thereof. If anything goes wrong, its your insurance policy.

You're right that in many cases, nothing goes wrong, and you don't need it.

If you ever run into anyone who has suddenly found themselves far, far away with nothing more than the dark blue book, you will carry yours with you whenever you travel.

Well, we haven't exactly been stay at home types either. I can assure you that I'm familiar with the little book called a passport and why we need one. Ours are well used and even a bit bent at the corners.

I made a specific reference to the need to carry your passport on shore in Bermuda...a place you don't even need a passport to cruise to...and certainly not a far away exotic land.

I have also been on cruises where your passport is taken from you when you board, and not reurned to you until after you've sailed from your last port of call and are on the way to your disembarkation port. You're given a copy of your passport to take ashore. Would you not go ashore in such circumstances?

So, i'm still waiting for something more than vague references to the evil that may befall you should not carry your passport ashore in Bermuda.

Edited by njhorseman

So, i'm still waiting for something more than vague references to the evil that may befall you should not carry your passport ashore in Bermuda.

No evil will befall. Except a hassle if it gets lost.

If people feel better taking it ashore in Bermuda they should go ahead. It is theirs. It is a false sense of security though to take it ashore.

I feel more secure leaving it in the cabin safe and that has been what I do every cruise to Bermuda and what I will continue to do.