Swollen feet after cruise?

Wasn't sure which board to post this on. Figured a bunch of women would be on this one though!:D

Is there any reason my feet would swell after a cruise?? Or just coincidence? I never have this problem, but my feet started swelling yesterday and are swollen again today. Just got back from a 7 day cruise on Sunday. Weird. I don't feel like I really sat or walked much more than usual. And I didn't spend much time in the pool water or beach, if salt water would have anything to do with it.

Maybe it is just a random thing!

Wasn't sure which board to post this on. Figured a bunch of women would be on this one though!:D

Is there any reason my feet would swell after a cruise?? Or just coincidence? I never have this problem, but my feet started swelling yesterday and are swollen again today. Just got back from a 7 day cruise on Sunday. Weird. I don't feel like I really sat or walked much more than usual. And I didn't spend much time in the pool water or beach, if salt water would have anything to do with it.

Maybe it is just a random thing!

Hi,:) after a cruise? No, mine swell up on every cruise and the swelling

goes away after I get home.

Just wondered if you did a search on this topic? Lots and lots

of us have discussed it over the years....many people have differing

opinions about what causes it.

Some say:

Salt

Booze

Richer and more food than you are usually eating.

Not enough water, too much water.....

Who knows?

But I am one of those who it happens to every time:rolleyes:

I am not saying whose reasons are correct because I don't

know. But cruising is the one time I drink alot and so

I guess it affects my feet;)and its the price I pay.

Not sure what to tell you since you are back home.

Hope the swelling goes down!:)

Here we are again Lois....this topic just never seems to get solved does it?

YayGirls....try a search for swollen feet or ankles...there are at least 2 or 3 very long threads on this on the Fashion Board over the last couple of years. Seems some of us get it and some never do....everyone has an opinion as to why. My Dr had no good answers. You will probably find they will go down over the next couple of days...if not I'd get it checked out to be sure it'snot something else. Seems odd it didn't happen on the ship as it does with so many of us.

It has happened to me on all of my Caribbean cruises usually by the 2nd day altho I wasn't as bad on the last one. It didn't happen to me on my crossing last fall til the next to the last day and that was only a touch about one ankle and it went away the next day. Try elevating your legs and use some ice on them....helps me a bit. I was much worse flying back from London. I swelled the next day to almost rock hard and stayed that way for 3 days.

I don't drink any alcohol at all...only lots of bottled water. I don't overeat at all...I stick to my normal small portions and never use salt onboard since they seem to salt the food plenty. I walk...I am far from overweight....I doubt it's the heat as I live in the Low Country of SC and it's hot here plenty of the year. I would love to know what causes this but none of us have found a clue in all our discussions of it.

Be patient and you should get back to normal quickly. I did find some relief from a product called Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel which was touted by someone for this problem. But Lois didn't...so who knows.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Here we are again Lois....this topic just never seems to get solved does it?

YayGirls....try a search for swollen feet or ankles...there are at least 2 or 3 very long threads on this on the Fashion Board over the last couple of years. Seems some of us get it and some never do....everyone has an opinion as to why. My Dr had no good answers. You will probably find they will go down over the next couple of days...if not I'd get it checked out to be sure it'snot something else. Seems odd it didn't happen on the ship as it does with so many of us.

It has happened to me on all of my Caribbean cruises usually by the 2nd day altho I wasn't as bad on the last one. It didn't happen to me on my crossing last fall til the next to the last day and that was only a touch about one ankle and it went away the next day. Try elevating your legs and use some ice on them....helps me a bit. I was much worse flying back from London. I swelled the next day to almost rock hard and stayed that way for 3 days.

I don't drink any alcohol at all...only lots of bottled water. I don't overeat at all...I stick to my normal small portions and never use salt onboard since they seem to salt the food plenty. I walk...I am far from overweight....I doubt it's the heat as I live in the Low Country of SC and it's hot here plenty of the year. I would love to know what causes this but none of us have found a clue in all our discussions of it.

Be patient and you should get back to normal quickly. I did find some relief from a product called Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel which was touted by someone for this problem. But Lois didn't...so who knows.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Hi Penny:) I was thinking about you when I saw this thread!

Hope you are doing well:D

Swollen ankles/feet everytime I return from vacation! I'm going to try compression socks for my next trip, I'm tired of loosing my ankle bones for up to a week after I return home for a vacation. Several factors contribute, including heat, salt intake, and sitting for extended periods of time, regardless of how much walking I did during my trip. Some people are just more prone to this than others. Good luck and happy feet!

My feet/ankles don't swell on a cruise but my fingers sure do. By the end of a cruise they look like sausages. I learned after the 2nd time not to wear any rings on my fingers because I won't be able to get them off until a few days after being back home. I always wondered what caused this but still haven't found a solution.

Hi Lois...doing great,, thanks. As a matter of fact I just waved to you as Steve and I passed Jacksonville today on our way back from a wonderful stay at our beach house on Hutchinson Island.

We leave July 30th on a crossing on QM2 to retrace the voyages of our immigrant parents...him for the first time to Germany and then continung on QM2 to Norway where I spent happy summers growing up visiting my grandparents. A real nostalgia journey for us both and a way perhaps to connect with them at a special time in our lives. We owe them so much for their courage to make that leap of faith to emigrate so long ago and provide us with the lives we have enjoyed. So then, more swollen ankles for me I guess with 16 days at sea!!

Hope your Dad is settling in better...not an easy time of life to deal with.

Cheers, penny

Geepers I wish I had an answer. I went on vacation back in April and when I got off the plane, my feet were swollen. My feet did not go down for the entire 10 days I was away. BUT, when I got home, the next day, my feet where completely down. Truly insane. For my next cruise since I have to fly, I'll be bringing shoes that will accomodate my swollen feet better, as I am sure they may swell.

I have found that wearing support knee highs on the flights helps a lot. Also, moving around when you can during the flight. My ankles swell after flying and during the cruise, but if I wear the support hose on the plane, they are much better.

Also, drink lots of water. It flushes out the salt and toxins.

On my first cruise I had nothing happen at all, but the day after I got home from the second cruise, my feet were very swollen. They were back down within a few days, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. They didn't hurt or anything, they were just really swollen. I've never had this problem from flying; only this last cruise. We'll see what happens this fall when I'm aboard for 14 days.:confused:

My ankles also tend to swell up on cruises and when flying. On our recent TA cruise, I requested low sodium meals in the MDR. I also wore compression stockings on flights. The combination helped to greatly reduce the swelling. I also noticed that I didn't gain any weight, which was a nice surprise!

My feet/ankles don't swell on a cruise but my fingers sure do. By the end of a cruise they look like sausages. I learned after the 2nd time not to wear any rings on my fingers because I won't be able to get them off until a few days after being back home. I always wondered what caused this but still haven't found a solution.

Both my hands and feet swell on a cruise. In fact, my longest cruise, an eleven-nighter to the Panama Canal, I swear even my face swelled up! It sounds like a joke, but it was true. I was getting scared. But two days after I got home, almost all the swelling was gone!

This is my personal theory. I normally get very little sodium in my diet. I never, never add salt to food at the table. But I swear the chefs on cruise ships LOAD the food with sodium thinking it will make the food more palatable to most passengers.

I also theorize that the salt air also causes swelling, but I have been laughed at for this theory. Anyway I still suspect the salt air at sea does contribute to the swelling.

Hi all. I have followed many threads on this subject in the past. Have had many different answers, one said to eat parsley with your meals, go figure, if it worked for them. It is my DH who has the problems with leg and feet swelling, one time his poor lower legs and feet were all swollen and red also, went to the Dr. as soon as we got home and Dr. did not have an answer either. Gave him some water/salt tabs to take. Think it is because of the salt in the food and water that we have on board as well as the extra walking (excursions, etc.) When ever we fly, he wares the long compression hose and that helps some. IF anyone comes up with an answer , please share :)

Cori

I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I didn't want to mention it to my husband during the cruise that my right leg swelled up after the second day. 5 years ago I had lymphadema in that leg following my hysterectomy, and I was so worried that the lymphadema had recurred. But, once I was back home, the swelling disappeared.

Glad to know that other's have swelling issues during a cruise.

Happens to me too. I have posted about this before. On some cruises it has been so bad that I can barely walk because my ankles are so swollen I can't bend them.

I take medication for hypertension and if I take an extra half dose (one or two times) of my diuretic it seems to help, where elevation and compression have not. For me, I think it is the added salt intake in the cruise food. In the past, I have taken a few of the suggested remedies posted on this site, including Midol, to no avail.

In the first few days after I return home I find that I make many more trips to the bathroom than usual and, thank goodness, my feet, ankles and legs are back to normal within a day or two. During the cruise it is pretty uncomfortable, though, and I have to plan my shoe selection around this issue, which is annoying.

As someone said, I think it is a problem for some people, but not for others.... I wish I was one of the "others"!!!!

A water pill will help elimate excess water. I took a water pill with me last year 1 took one twice a day and swellin wasnt so bad.

Drink plenty of water and try a water pill.

At the end of the day while sitting on deck put feet up in a chair will also help.

I too suffer from swollen feet, ankles and fingers...not just during a cruise, but all summer long. As soon as the temp goes up so do my extremities, so according to web md...Heat edema (swelling) is treated with rest and by elevating your legs. If you are standing or sitting for a long time in a hot environment, flex your leg muscles often so that blood does not pool in your lower legs, which can lead to heat edema and fainting. In addition, the consumption of lots of water and watching ones salt intake will help elevate some of the swelling. We love to cruise, and I hate the fat feet,ankles and fingers so I guess I'll just have to deal with it as best I can... Cause I'm not giving up cruising nor can I skip the summer season.;)

Neverthought

Archived