muster drill

loveJake

I read a lot of posts where people do not want to go, think nothing can happen. I just read that there was a fire in the engine room of a Princess ship, people were called and are still at their muster stations. No injuries but 1 person did complain of chest pains. So things can and do happen. Please be prepared. This article is on the main page of CC.

Yes, things do happen like that on ships. My wife and I don't mind going to muster drill, but you have to remember how people think these days. Thats like that happen, but not to me. They don't think that some of the people on that ship said the same thing. It is about 15 minutes of your time and might someday save a life. It might not even take that long if people would just go and not make others what for them.

It's pretty easy to do - just go to a certain place, wait and listen. Anyone who has a problem doing that is just plain rude and selfish. Not that people like that don't go on cruises... there are all kinds of people onboard.

We will be on the Christmas cruise and wonder what the drill is like on the older ships. Do they do them in the lido deck areas where you can sit down out of the sun? I seem to remember that is what they did with the old Celebration. Anyone off the Fascination help with the procedure on that ship.

Jim

I continue to find it funny that some make a big deal of this. Do I think the muster drill is important, hell yes! But seriously folks, how many people do you think take in all of the great info that is given out at the drill. How many people are drunk, or at least somewhat drunk? How many don't understand the language? How many just don't care because they are hot and sweaty? How many people complain on this board that they were lost all week because deck 4 didn't go all the way through to the back of the ship?

I attend every drill because it is the only time on the cruise that every single person looks like a dork and of course for that safety stuff too.

I just wish they wouldn't make me put those nasty, smelly lifevests around my neck. They are so gross. I'd gladly carry it with me and hold up, but for pete's sake, don't make me don it unless the boat is really going down!!!!!

They announced to please carry and not wear your lifevest to the M/D on our recent Destiny cruise

They announced to please carry and not wear your lifevest to the M/D on our recent Destiny cruise

That's really safe. I wonder how many carried them with the straps dragging behind them on the ground and people tripping over them.

On my Princess cruise, we didn't have to place the lifevests around our neck. When DH and I got to our station carrying ours with most others carrying theirs, we cracked up when we saw this guy wearing his and blowing the whistle. It still makes me laugh to think about it. We ended seeing that guy around the ship most days. He was a BS'er and would stop at every table during dinner to talk to the people there whether he knew them or not. We called him the "Frank" of the cruise after my late uncle who behaved in much the same way. First cruise memories...

In September on the Glory we were also told to not put the vest on, were shown how at the drill, that was it, muster station was not on deck, but can't remember where. On Princess you do not put the vest on, and usually meet in the theater if forward and club if aft, no standing crammed in on deck. Even if people do not listen it may still register as to where to go if a real emergency happens.

I just wish they wouldn't make me put those nasty, smelly lifevests around my neck. They are so gross. I'd gladly carry it with me and hold up, but for pete's sake, don't make me don it unless the boat is really going down!!!!!

When you're going down isn't the time to make the strap adjustments, make sure the straps are even there, make sure the whistle and light are attached, there are no holes in it, etc. Things will be in enough of an uproar without people like you running around hysterical because something is wrong with your lifevest.

Oh...excuse me. You're one of the people things like that never happen to.

My bad.

When you're going down isn't the time to make the strap adjustments, make sure the straps are even there, make sure the whistle and light are attached, there are no holes in it, etc. Things will be in enough of an uproar without people like you running around hysterical because something is wrong with your lifevest.

Oh...excuse me. You're one of the people things like that never happen to.

My bad.

Now this was completely unnecessary!

I never said, it won't happen to me. But in all honesty, the life vest will stay on without the straps being "fitted" to me. I don't like the smell that wreaks from the vest. I have seen/smelled vomit on these things. When my life is danger, I'll put it on gladly! Heck, it might even smell better after a salt water bath. But until then, I'm going to pass the BO sweat ring around the neck.

On my Princess cruise, we didn't have to place the lifevests around our neck. When DH and I got to our station carrying ours with most others carrying theirs, we cracked up when we saw this guy wearing his and blowing the whistle. It still makes me laugh to think about it. We ended seeing that guy around the ship most days. He was a BS'er and would stop at every table during dinner to talk to the people there whether he knew them or not. We called him the "Frank" of the cruise after my late uncle who behaved in much the same way. First cruise memories...

Or Frank the Tank from the movie Old School.

Who would blow the whistle, god only knows where it has been!

That's really safe. I wonder how many carried them with the straps dragging behind them on the ground and people tripping over them.

On our last cruise (on the Splendor) they made announcements about this - to please make sure the straps were not dragging on the ground as others could trip over them. Of course, we saw quite a few straps dragging on the ground :)

I continue to find it funny that some make a big deal of this. Do I think the muster drill is important, hell yes! But seriously folks, how many people do you think take in all of the great info that is given out at the drill. How many people are drunk, or at least somewhat drunk? How many don't understand the language? How many just don't care because they are hot and sweaty? How many people complain on this board that they were lost all week because deck 4 didn't go all the way through to the back of the ship?

I attend every drill because it is the only time on the cruise that every single person looks like a dork and of course for that safety stuff too.

Couldn't agree more.

I have always joke with the crew if the ship was really going down would you guys really be this calm, seeings how most of them are so young and really don't make that much money. I know they train and train but if the ship hit something and was in big trouble , well I just have my doubts.

Any thoughts.............

Archived