D1 v. JS?

I'M SORRY,I'm new to cruising. WOULD SOMEONE QUICKLY TELL ME WHAT D1 AND H1 ETC. MEANS... i'm good with GS & js but not sure about the rest.;. I have a balcony room on the forward side of the hump on deck 9 on Liberty of the Seas in Dec.. What is this considered? thanx all:cool:

D1/E1/GS/JS are all types of cabins. Different specs and price points.

You should be able to look under your reservation online to get the cabin number and cabin type. You can then look it up on the deck plan.

I have no idea what an H1 is - maybe someone else can help out on that one.

Keep you eyes peeled. There are residency specials for JS for the 8/23/09 Freedom sailing @ $1399 pp. Maybe they'll extend the special your way in the near future.

My eyes are peeled - believe me!!!!! LOL!!!

I am checking the price of this cruise at least twice a day, and there are no residency discounts for Canadians, or at least none for those of us living in Ontario :(

Any tips on leg shaving while inside the shower capsule???? :eek:

LOL, purchase the Intuition Shaver -- no need for shaving cream and it does an excellent job. There is enough room in the capsule to reach down to shave the legs. Best invention ever :D:D

###

Any tips on leg shaving while inside the shower capsule???? :eek:

Robyn, I open the dang capsule and put my leg up on the toilet to shave! You'll be fine girl! A cruise is a cruise is a cruise!!!! Just not as good if we aren't on the same one at the same time!

We have almost always sailed in JS cabins and love them. But last year we got a great deal on a cruise on Vision in a D1 and figured we could last a week without killing each other. We loved it! Granted, it was an aft cabin, with a large balcony to give us more space, but we found that it was a terrific setup for the two of us.

I still prefer a JS, but if the price difference is big enough, we'll book a D-1 (or 2 or 3) with no problem.:)

It is NO BIG DEAL to shower/shave or anything else you need to do in the D1 shower stall. If you've every stayed in a Sleep Inn you've already used one, that is what all of their bathrooms have. Frankly we thought it was really cool! DH is an engineer and was super impressed with the great use of space.

We've been on two cruises, D1 afts both of them and we were bowled over by how much room we had. Granted, the balcony is very large but we didn't keep anything out there. I guess we just don't spend much time in the room, but honestly there is a full size couch, a queen bed and plenty of walking space...what else is needed for two people?

For those who've had a JS, besides the extra C&A point, what is the biggest advantage of JS over D1? For the cruises we've looked at it's always been at least $500/person more for the JS and we could just never justify it...that's the bar bill right there! Am I missing something?

It is NO BIG DEAL to shower/shave or anything else you need to do in the D1 shower stall. If you've every stayed in a Sleep Inn you've already used one, that is what all of their bathrooms have. Frankly we thought it was really cool! DH is an engineer and was super impressed with the great use of space.

We've been on two cruises, D1 afts both of them and we were bowled over by how much room we had. Granted, the balcony is very large but we didn't keep anything out there. I guess we just don't spend much time in the room, but honestly there is a full size couch, a queen bed and plenty of walking space...what else is needed for two people?

For those who've had a JS, besides the extra C&A point, what is the biggest advantage of JS over D1? For the cruises we've looked at it's always been at least $500/person more for the JS and we could just never justify it...that's the bar bill right there! Am I missing something?

The biggest advantage is the extra space. JS is much larger. A GS is much larger than a JS, but far, far more costly, compared to the price differential between a D and a JS, so we usually spring for the JS, but not the GS. It is more money, but if we are looking for justifications, we don't drink, so don't need to put the extra $$ to the bar bill. In all honesty, if springing for the larger cabin really means we have to take the money from something else we want, like shore excursions or specialty restaurants, we would go for the cheaper cabin. If it is a luxury that we can afford without worrying about it, we go for the larger cabin.

Some people live in very small houses and others splurge and buy larger houses. It is up to the individual to decide what is important to them. What you are missing is the fact that people have different priorities in how they spend their money.

I know what you mean......twice we've had JS for 7 nights and really liked it.....but because of the costs we almost always sail in a D1 cabin...so I would look at it this way.....You'll be on a cruise in a nice sized balcony cabin....vs....staying home because the JS was too expensive. :D

Go for the D1 and maybe there will be a rate drop and you can upgrade, or just watch for future deals on JS's.

We have also sailed in a JS on 2 occasions, but due to the economic climate cannot justify over $600 per person extra for a JS over a hump D1. Never been in a D1 before so we'll see, but personally I like the shower more than the bathtub and shower curtain in a JS. Will miss the walk in closet and the chaise, but don't intend to spend too much time in the cabin, and I've still got my balcony.

Some people live in very small houses and others splurge and buy larger houses. It is up to the individual to decide what is important to them. What you are missing is the fact that people have different priorities in how they spend their money.

Obviously! I'm asking specifically what are people liking better in the JS? You said "more space" which I understand on a physical dimension level...but what does "more space" do for you if it is still just 2 people? Maybe I'm mistaken but it sounds like the pieces of furniture in the room are exactly the same so I'm not sure what the extra room does for anyone in that respect.

Bathtub is the other one that keeps coming up, I can see the pros/cons of that. Are there any other perks that come with JS?

More space gives us room to spread out. More space decreases the feelings of claustrophobia. More space enables me to walk comfortably in between the bed and the wall. The tub and walk in closet are nice, but sorry to keep restating the obvious, the reason we book the cabin is more space.

More space gives us room to spread out. More space decreases the feelings of claustrophobia. More space enables me to walk comfortably in between the bed and the wall. The tub and walk in closet are nice, but sorry to keep restating the obvious, the reason we book the cabin is more space.

Ah, walk-in closet, did not know about that! Would be very nice, especially on longer cruises...

Obviously! I'm asking specifically what are people liking better in the JS? You said "more space" which I understand on a physical dimension level...but what does "more space" do for you if it is still just 2 people? Maybe I'm mistaken but it sounds like the pieces of furniture in the room are exactly the same so I'm not sure what the extra room does for anyone in that respect.

Bathtub is the other one that keeps coming up, I can see the pros/cons of that. Are there any other perks that come with JS?

It will depend some on the class of ship, but in my experience, the furniture is not the same in a D-1 and JS. D-1 has a couch (sometimes it will also be a sleeper) and maybe one chair. I'm pretty sure in some there is just the deskchair at the vanity with the couch. The JS's we've been in all also have 2 club type chairs with the couch and sometimes a foot rest....

The extra space for us seems most obvious at the foot of the bed. Sometimes there is just enough walking space at the foot of the bed to get by in a D-1, so when we are dressing we sometimes seem to stumble around each other. No such problem with the JS.

Also, depending on the class of ship, not all JS's have walkin closets...

Archived