D1 v. JS?

DH and I have sailed in a JS on both of our other cruises, but this time around are looking at a D1 balcony on the Freedom, because of the price difference.

Has anyone else ever stepped down like this? Did you regret it and go back? Or were you happy you had made the move?

I understand all the differences in size, and the different closets, etc. I'm really looking for opinions about whether you felt it was a good idea.

Thanks!

DH and I have sailed in a JS on both of our other cruises, but this time around are looking at a D1 balcony on the Freedom, because of the price difference.

Has anyone else ever stepped down like this? Did you regret it and go back? Or were you happy you had made the move?

I understand all the differences in size, and the different closets, etc. I'm really looking for opinions about whether you felt it was a good idea.

Thanks!

It's always hard to downgrade....especially of a 7 night cruise.....shorter 3 nightr's I say fine but a 7 night....depends how used to that JS you are.

I know what you mean......twice we've had JS for 7 nights and really liked it.....but because of the costs we almost always sail in a D1 cabin...so I would look at it this way.....You'll be on a cruise in a nice sized balcony cabin....vs....staying home because the JS was too expensive. :D

Go for the D1 and maybe there will be a rate drop and you can upgrade, or just watch for future deals on JS's.

Wow - the OP posted my question exactly!!!

I am sailing on the Freedom in August and it will be the very first time in my cruising history that I am sailing in anything less than a JS. Admittedly I am a little freaked out by the idea of the capsule shower :eek: A little worried about the lack of space and non existent walk in closet :eek: but the price for a JS is over $600 more per person.....and I just can't justify it since there will be only 2 of us in the cabin (this is a girls cruise) I have a GS booked for my B2B with the family in March :D Having said all that.....I will jump all over the JS for my Freedom cruise if the price drops......:rolleyes:

We seem to mostly flip flop back and forth between JS's and D1's. (OK, on our next shorty we have an F1, but that is not really part of this conversation.) If there is a large difference in the price, such as $1000 as above, we are very happy in the D1. We've seen a price difference of just a couple hundred and went for the JS.

Many times we've seen where the only JS's available are directly under the pool. No thanks. We'll find a D1 in a quiet area.

Recently and coming up . . .

Voyager JS

Majesty F1

Oasis D8

Mariner JS

Radiance D1

Allure D1

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks!

You will be on the most beautiful ship in the world in a great sized balcony cabin. Since it's two of you I say stay put, you will have a great time!

I am glad I have started out in E1 cabins so my D1 being a little bigger will be appreciated on 2 future cruises. I do feel so cramped in an E1 but I tell myself I could be in an inside or not cruising at all.

Unless a great price I will never be in a suite. Just cannot make myself do it.

Since I cut back my work hrs I feel I have to accept the sacrifices for it. The price I have to pay. It is well worth it though.

Laura

Thanks for all of your inputs! You all pretty much summed up all of my thoughts. :D

To make matters worse, our JSs have both been on the hump, so I fear we have been spoiled beyond repair.

We are still more than 60 days out, so we'll see what the prices do. One thing that might be the tipping point for me is that it seems the only D1s are on deck 6 and pretty far aft.

But to all of your points, I need to keep in mind that we would be on a ship, and on vacation, which beats being at home any day!

We love the JS. If the price differential from a D is not huge, we book the JS. If it is huge, we go on Princess in a minisuite, or HAL in a Superior suite. They are usually about the same price as a RCCL catagory D and much nicer. We do like the JS on RCCL a little better and like the RCCL experience a little more, but switch to the other lines when the pricing on RCCL gets too ridiculous.

To make matters worse, our JSs have both been on the hump, so I fear we have been spoiled beyond repair.

Our original cabin for December was also a JS on the hump. Check out the deck plans, albeit we are in a much smaller cabin, we are still in the middle of the "hump".

Keep up the research :D

###

We have sailed in D1 and JS. The extra room in the JS is nice, but not a deal breaker at all. With 2 people in the cabin the D1 is fine and we are not falling over each other at all.

As far as the tub thing goes, I don't know what the big deal is. I find the tub very high and not the easiest to get into. I guess I just can't get really excited about a 'bathtub' ??? There are too many other things to get excited about on a cruise besides a little extra "walking around" room and a bathtub!!! JMO

I’ve sailed is a JS once and D, E OV or heaven forbid an interior ( don’t tell anyone) since then Yes, it is possible to live and tell about it. It is NO BIG DEAL to change cabin types. In land travel, hotel rooms in some cities are more or less spacious than others, no big deal.

What do you think will happen to you in the capsule shower? Ever been in a stall shower before?

M

Thanks!

:cool:I've sailed on both. Only tried JS because I wanted corner aft. With most D1's at 204 sq ft. it is perfect for a couple. Take kids--get JS. With no consiere service associated with JS, unless you like the two (watered down) cruise credits, go with D1 and enjoy it.:cool:

:cool:I've sailed on both. Only tried JS because I wanted corner aft. With most D1's at 204 sq ft. it is perfect for a couple. Take kids--get JS. With no consiere service associated with JS, unless you like the two (watered down) cruise credits, go with D1 and enjoy it.:cool:

You hit the nail on the head as to why we had originally looked at the JS. Before they started cutting back on so many perks we wanted to get the extra 2 pts. With the changes we aren't even looking at them. We've been fine with the D1s...don't see a need for a tub, don't need more room, nor do we need a larger balcony.

What we are hesitent about this time is going down to an E2. I have heard some people say they are too small for a couple...the good thing though is that its a center hump.

My first and only JS was with 2 people on the Explorer, center hump. Next cruise went to a D1 on Freedom with 3 of us. Did I miss some of what the JS offered, yes, but for the price difference I was very happy in my D1.

If the price is close go for the JS but if not don't sweat it, you'll be on a cruise and probably out and about on the ship anyway.

The way I look at it is this... For just myself and the GF, a standard cabin is just fine. How much room do you really need? This cruise we will be travelling with my son as well, so we decided to go with the JS. The fact that he was going with us was pretty much the only reason we even considered a JS. It is a lot more expensive for not much more. Just real estate. Also, all of the lesser cabins have all seen price drops, but not the JS. Just IMHO.

We have mostly sailed in a JS on Royal Caribbean, but have also sailed in a D1 and an E1

With the high prices of the JS these days, we probably would sail in a D1. To me, the tub in the JS is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

I have had two knee replacements and find it very difficult getting in and out of the tub. My husband also has a knee problem and he has trouble too. My ideal cabin would be the size of a JS, but have a large stall shower in place of the tub.

I wouldn't have any problem going to the D1, but the one time we were forced to sail in an E1, was terrible. For us, it was way too small. I tend to sleep with my feet hanging off the end of the bed so every time my husband got out of bed, he hit my feet as he walked across the room.

Get your D1 and enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks, all, for the input! I think the thing that would be the deal breaker for me on the D1s is the location that's available, so I'll see what opens up after the final payment.

Unfortunately, we just found out today that we don't know what's going on with DH's job after August, so that may be the ultimate deal breaker. :(

I'M SORRY,I'm new to cruising. WOULD SOMEONE QUICKLY TELL ME WHAT D1 AND H1 ETC. MEANS... i'm good with GS & js but not sure about the rest.;. I have a balcony room on the forward side of the hump on deck 9 on Liberty of the Seas in Dec.. What is this considered? thanx all:cool:

Wow - the OP posted my question exactly!!!

I am sailing on the Freedom in August and it will be the very first time in my cruising history that I am sailing in anything less than a JS. Admittedly I am a little freaked out by the idea of the capsule shower :eek: A little worried about the lack of space and non existent walk in closet :eek: but the price for a JS is over $600 more per person.....and I just can't justify it since there will be only 2 of us in the cabin (this is a girls cruise) I have a GS booked for my B2B with the family in March :D Having said all that.....I will jump all over the JS for my Freedom cruise if the price drops......:rolleyes:

Keep you eyes peeled. There are residency specials for JS for the 8/23/09 Freedom sailing @ $1399 pp. Maybe they'll extend the special your way in the near future.

Archived