Cheese Plate

chelle74

Oh, wow, this thread is taking off! I must say the platter at the supper club is going to have to be a must, where they have all these many, many varieties.

Now, the idea of even the normal one in the room sounds cool too for keeping in the fridge in case we get peckish during the night.

I must ask my mother about the evening milk. She should know! I must say I never heard of this before!:)

Oh, it's good, trust me on that. I'm getting hungry as well :) If you do the supper club, order the cheese platter, it's good stuff. And to DarthGrady, bless YOUR heart. My DH is also a Velveeta kind of guy. He also likes the sprayable Cheezwhiz ;) which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, God bless him too.

Ah, husbands, gotta love 'em. We were once invited to a wine-and-cheese party where everyone was supposed to bring one bottle of wine and one type of cheese. My DH couldn't understand why I wouldn't let him bring a hunk of Velveeta and a bottle of Ripple! :p

That being said... I think I'll try the cheese plate at least once!

Sadly, on the Holiday in March, it was the same variety of pre-packaged chain grocery store cheese every night, never any different kinds.... I love good gourmet cheeses, and this is one place Carnival falls far short on, compared to Princess & RCL who both have a rotating variety of cheeses each evening..... I didn't give up ordering the cheese plate, but by the end of the cruise, any different cheese would have been welcomed.... Even Velveeta ~~!!~~

It is true, the cheese plate on Carnival in the dining room is always the same, but then we knew what to expect.

I love the cheese plate, I will often order it and a dessert. I can't wait to have some in the supper club!! Woohooo. Little unsure about the morning or evening milk?? They could put a pound of Blue cheese in front of me and I'd be smiling ear to ear.

Months ago there was thread about the cheese plate and someone commented that they always asked for their's as an appetizer - bleu only so they could enjoy on their bread with their meal.

OK PEOPLE LISTEN UP!

Buy yourselves a small wheel of brie. You know, like that crappy (ugh) President's brand, which is good in a pinch because it's so cheap but really crappy.

But I digress...

Put the wheel in a baking dish. Set the oven to 350. (Play with that number because I never really got the "recipe" so it's an assumption.)

Slice the top of the wheel open so it's like a lid. Leave like a 1/4 inch space all the way around so it's really like a lid. Don't cut it all the way off, but come close.

Open a bottle of Kahlua. Pour a good amount all over the wheel and even some into the dish. Again, no idea on the amount.

Close lid. Put cheese in oven. Wait a while...not sure how long, lol. At least 15 min I'd say.

Break up some yummy french or italian baguettes.

Remove pan from oven. Lift "lid." Dip bread into cheese. Taste bread. Kill yourself. (Pull off the whole lid and eat it but don't let anyone see because the skin is the best part of brie.)

I find that I often have to reheat this because the brie de-goos pretty quickly. Maybe a decent quality brand won't do it so quickly.

I order the cheese plate as a appetizer to enjoy throughout my meal.:)

This is what I was going to point out. Sister LOOOVVVESS cheese, I'm just okay with it and we only recently found out that it can be ordered as an appetizer.......so she does both, we usually end up with the cheese plate and shrimp cocktail for our appetizers.......I eat all of my shrimp and some of hers and she eats all of her cheese and some of mine so it works out well.

I've never seen it on the room service menu and I'm sure sister would have ordered it had it been there. They have some kind of fruit and cheese but it's just sliced if I remember.

The cheese up in the buffet is just your basic sliced variety also

OK PEOPLE LISTEN UP!

Buy yourselves a small wheel of brie. You know, like that crappy (ugh) President's brand, which is good in a pinch because it's so cheap but really crappy.

But I digress...

Put the wheel in a baking dish. Set the oven to 350. (Play with that number because I never really got the "recipe" so it's an assumption.)

Slice the top of the wheel open so it's like a lid. Leave like a 1/4 inch space all the way around so it's really like a lid. Don't cut it all the way off, but come close.

Open a bottle of Kahlua. Pour a good amount all over the wheel and even some into the dish. Again, no idea on the amount.

Close lid. Put cheese in oven. Wait a while...not sure how long, lol. At least 15 min I'd say.

Break up some yummy french or italian baguettes.

Remove pan from oven. Lift "lid." Dip bread into cheese. Taste bread. Kill yourself. (Pull off the whole lid and eat it but don't let anyone see because the skin is the best part of brie.)

I find that I often have to reheat this because the brie de-goos pretty quickly. Maybe a decent quality brand won't do it so quickly.

*GASP*

I've done this with honey, and topped it with blueberry compote, but I never would have thought of Kahlua! AND I HAVE A BOTTLE AT HOME!!! I must try this!

I wonder how it would be with amarretto? Or with Chambord???? Oh, the possibilities!!!

BTW, Trader Joe's has some pretty decent (cheap) brie, too. Not rounds, but wedges. You'd have to put it in a small dish to keep it from running all over the place, though.

On every RCI cruise that we've been on the cheese plate was available through room service, we ordered one along with a fruit plate every evening as a pre-dinner snack while we sat on our balcony. Now I'm not sure if it was available in the dining room because I never looked

for it.

That was one of the first things I investigated for Carnival and they do not have a cheese plate on their Room service menu.They have assorted vegies and blue cheese dip. We always ordered several cheese plates on RC and sat out on the balcony with our wine. My boys always order a pizza and Carnival doesnt do that either. They also don't have hot breakfast.

Always ask anyway you never know what they will do unless you ask.

Once on Royal our Matre D worked in the buffet during lunch and I mention that I loved Johnny Rockets onion rings and did they have them anywhere else,the next thing I knew he brought me some!! Always pays to ask!!!

*GASP*

I've done this with honey, and topped it with blueberry compote, but I never would have thought of Kahlua! AND I HAVE A BOTTLE AT HOME!!! I must try this!

I wonder how it would be with amarretto? Or with Chambord???? Oh, the possibilities!!!

Try it and let us know what you think!! :)

BTW, Amaretto...sounds interesting! Frangelico? Sounds MORE interesting. I never thought of changing it up!

Another tip that my wife and I like to do is order the cheese plate from our waiter right when we sit down at the table. We like to eat cheese with our bread as an appetizer and our waiters have always been happy to bring it then, rather than as a dessert.

Archived