What do you pack for an Alaska cruise?

kimmiekaz

What do you pack for an Alaska cruise? Check all that apply.  

2,432 members have voted

1. 1. What do you pack for an Alaska cruise? Check all that apply.

• "These boots were made for…" hiking! Sturdy shoes for rough terrain.
    • Binoculars -- the better to see wildlife with, my dear.
    • Light jackets, fleece clothing, warm hat and gloves for layering in unpredictable weather.
    • Refillable water bottle -- quench your thirst while going green.
    • Extra memory cards for the camera and a video camera so I remember every moment!
    • Swimsuit, sun hat and sunglasses for unexpected heat waves – we’ve had them!
    • Sun block and after-sun -- to avoid the burn and raccoon face!
    • Motion sickness meds or wristbands (for rough Pacific ocean cruising and flightseeing tours)
    • Bear bell (to alert animals of your presence) for your backpack if you go hiking.
    • Guidebooks that identify the flora and fauna and Alaska's scenic routes.
    • Rain gear -- umbrella, ponchos, raincoat, extra socks in case your caught in a downpour.
    • Extra cash for the head tax and berth fee ($50).
    • An alarm clock for early morning wake-up call in ports!
    • Other, I'll post it below.

Alaska cruises certainly aren't anything like a day at the beach. So when it comes to preparing, what ends up in your luggage likely won't resemble the bikinis and hawaiian shirts you'd pack for a tropical getaway. We're curious about what you think are the definite "don't-forgets" for an Alaska cruise. Vote for the items you can't live without in Alaska, and vote for as many items as you need. Plus, if we've missed something that's been, or you think would be, particularly helpful on an Alaska voyage, let us know and post it below!

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

Insect repellent. I'll be packing 100% DEET, plus an herbal repellent concoction for around my eyes/mouth.

All I ever do with an umbrella is poke my own (or someone else's) eye, so I'll stick with rain repellent gear, including shoes. Since I wander around in 40 - 70 degree temps in a T shirt at home, I don't think I'll need many extra layers, or fleece. Maybe a sweater with the jacket (with hood).

blank

Sorry about that, I was inputting all of the poll options, there's 14 so it took a minute. Hope you come back to vote! :D

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

Insect repellent. I'll be packing 100% DEET, plus an herbal repellent concoction for around my eyes/mouth.

All I ever do with an umbrella is poke my own (or someone else's) eye, so I'll stick with rain repellent gear, including shoes. Since I wander around in 40 - 70 degree temps in a T shirt at home, I don't think I'll need many extra layers, or fleece. Maybe a sweater with the jacket (with hood).

Thanks fann1sh, I don't know how we forgot that. I hate bugs crawling on me or flying in my way! I'll add that to the list.

Just an FYI, sunglasses are needed even if it's not warm out, the sun is out a lot, I wouldn't go anywhere in AK without them.

Also, I have a lightweight stringed bag that can fold up and fit in my camera case and can be a backpack when need be that came in very handy (for shopping, or for carrying unneeded layers, etc.).

Regardless of where I'm going I always pack shorts, jeans, short sleeve t-shirt, and long-sleeved t-shirt. For cruises I always pack sunscreen and cold medication (big crowds = sniffles and sore throats). After that it's a water-repellent jacket with hood, a sweater or sweatshirt, gloves and a hat, well-broken-in walking shoes, and a backpack that folds into it's pocket so that I can carry it on my belt.

OFF-Skin so soft

Comfortable shoes

Layers from Tshirts to fleece to waterproof jacket

Cap/warm hat

Gloves/scarf

Lighter clothes for Vancouver

Nice stuff for evenings on ship

Moneybelt/bag to put extra clothing

I voted for a few things but forgot to check "other":eek:

I agree with mmemichele about evening attire.:)

I am one of those cruisers (please no flames) who loves getting

dressed up for dinner. I just enjoy it so very much:)

So, I would not cruise to Alaska (or any other itinerary)without

my dressy outfits too:) and no, it does not take up any more

space than any of my other clothes.

I am going to Alaska in September for the 3rd time and cannot wait:D

I sail solo and bring one checked bag, one carry on and a tote bag.

And that includes clothing for 2 formal nights;)

I second that. We do the formal nights and dress nice for dinner. I usually wear dressy dresses and DH wears nice pants and a shirt on causal night. No shorts or jeans in the dining room for us. This will be our first trip to Alaska so we will have jeans instead of jean shorts. And jackets for layering.

1. Layers

My best purchase, thermal silk underwear. Turtleneck, sweatshirt, raincoat.

Waterproof shoes, extra socks. Hat and mittens for sitting on the balcony

up the inside passage. Extra shoes in case yours get soggy.

2. Extra memory cards for the camera.

We took over six hundred pictures.

3. Binoculars.

Gotta be able to see the animals at a distance, be it bears, seals, whales, whatever.

4. What we didn't pack but should have.

If you have a GPS system that able to be hand held it is worth taking to help you find specific addresses in port. Like shops in Skagway, etc.

We just got back a few days ago and I would like to add a pashmina type shawl. I used it as a shawl for the formal nights, as a scarf while cruising Glacier Bay, and during particularily windy conditions, I draped it over my head and tied it around my neck.

Take the strongest binoculars that you have. You will see so much more of the wildlife that is farther away.

I wish that we had taken a GPS too. It would have been interesting to see exactly where we were, especially near some of the more interesting passages, such as the Seymour Narrows.

I took a Rainsleeve for my new Digital SLR camera. It is a reusable plastic bag type cover designed to protect cameras from the rain and they cost less than $8 for two. It came in handy in rainy Ketchikan. They are available from specialty camera stores or online.

I had taken some just-in-case medications, but I wish I had remembered to also bring some Benedryl. When my son had a mild reaction to some shellfish, the medication cost $12 :eek: from the onboard store.

Hope this helps,

N.

I had forgotten about a shawl or scarf - I had my scarf when I did the Christmas markets in Europe and it was WONDERFUL for my head or around my neck. Ear muffs are another good reminder (we leave in 3 weeks so am starting my 'piles' of things to bring.)

I am not an umbrella fan either - hoods are the only way to go for me!!!

GREAT LIST!!! Keep 'em comin'!!!

Just returned from tour 21 had mostly sunny weather, we were lucky. You must remember to bring insect repellent in the pump bottle. We brought the spray, only to have it confiscated by the Alaska airlines. It cost me 9.75 to replace with another spray only to have it taken again. Was rushing and didn't think about our return trip home on Alaska airlines. The mosquitoes are huge so bring the repellent and make sure it's the pump.

Fl Star

From our experience, the insect repellant isn't needed for just walking around.

I voted for "Light jacket" but actually took a warm coat and was still cold. We were there in early - mid May when everyone was walking around wrapped in blankets. Another factor for me is that I live in the Gulf Coast, and am not used to the cold so get cold faster than most.

Archived