What do you pack for an Alaska cruise?

kimmiekaz

What do you pack for an Alaska cruise? Check all that apply.  

2,432 members have voted

1. 1. What do you pack for an Alaska cruise? Check all that apply.

• "These boots were made for…" hiking! Sturdy shoes for rough terrain.
    • Binoculars -- the better to see wildlife with, my dear.
    • Light jackets, fleece clothing, warm hat and gloves for layering in unpredictable weather.
    • Refillable water bottle -- quench your thirst while going green.
    • Extra memory cards for the camera and a video camera so I remember every moment!
    • Swimsuit, sun hat and sunglasses for unexpected heat waves – we’ve had them!
    • Sun block and after-sun -- to avoid the burn and raccoon face!
    • Motion sickness meds or wristbands (for rough Pacific ocean cruising and flightseeing tours)
    • Bear bell (to alert animals of your presence) for your backpack if you go hiking.
    • Guidebooks that identify the flora and fauna and Alaska's scenic routes.
    • Rain gear -- umbrella, ponchos, raincoat, extra socks in case your caught in a downpour.
    • Extra cash for the head tax and berth fee ($50).
    • An alarm clock for early morning wake-up call in ports!
    • Other, I'll post it below.

:cool:..Hello, everyone. Lois, we are going on Sept.6 to Alaska too..Sorry, but we are on the Star Princess.:D..If you haven't been on the Mercury before, we think you will like it...:DMy wife and I love to dress up for the formal nights...It's the only chance we have to get formal photos...:D:D..Lois,Is the Mercury leaving from Seattle too????...Maybe we can wave to each other...Great tip about taking a large scarf or shawl.:D

:cool:..Hello, everyone. Lois, we are going on Sept.6 to Alaska too..Sorry, but we are on the Star Princess.:D..If you haven't been on the Mercury before, we think you will like it...:DMy wife and I love to dress up for the formal nights...It's the only chance we have to get formal photos...:D:D..Lois,Is the Mercury leaving from Seattle too????...Maybe we can wave to each other...Great tip about taking a large scarf or shawl.:D

Well, hey stranger! Mercury? I have sailed her 6 times before!

and so this will be #7 for me! (Check my signature) LOL

She is leaving from Vancouver and I did this last year too. I stay

in Seattle on the 5th and take Amtrak up to Vancouver on

Sunday morning.

Hope you are doing well. I see ya'll still chat on that SUMMIT

cruise roll call from so many years ago. If you ever chat with

Ruthann, tell her hello from me.

Thanks. I would put another smiley face but 6 is the most

you can do on here.

Definitely don't forget the sun screen if you are going on a tour to one of the glaciers. The sun off of the ice can be very intense.

On our first Alaska cruise, a couple came to the dinner table beside ours and had very red faces. They had not used sun screen and had gotten cooked.

Also, while we didn't use the swimsuits on board, we did use them to take advantage of the hot tubs at the Princess lodge at Denali when we continued our vacation on shore.

I just finished my first Alaskan cruise. Although I packed for layers, you almost didn't need them. It was 78 in Juneau, 75 in Skagway, and 82 in Victoria BC, with the bluest skies, and absolutely no rain for 7 days. Most unusual weather for this time of year.

That being said, I still had to wear a light fleece jacket in the early early morns (remember, it gets sunlight at 4am!!). I was able to go out on the balcony and be comfortable.

On the glacier, the mushers were wearing shorts, tank tops, and rubber boots. It was a heat wave up there!

So it's a hit or miss when you sail up that way.

and I agree with Kansas Scrapper: I still like to dress up for dinner! I ensure that I will bring my nice clothes.

There was only 1 day that we needed our bug repellent (Fairbanks June 10)...and then we did not have it with us! A repellent wipie would be most convienent to keep on hand. Fleece outfit , warm socks and warm coat, gloves for the deck while cruising and early morning in Denali if you do land tour. Tennis shoes were fine for all our expeditions. GPS would have been fantastic to go with the Cruise Companion book...which I thought was a great purchase & inc. big map... however a guide book for shore activities would be good if you are not signing up for excursions. I like a baseball cap under my raincoat hood to keep it from sagging in my face but also invaluable if you get our perfect weather with no rain for our 10 day trip!! Swim shirt for pool...I had to do phydical therapy in the pool and it was cold while cruising! I do not see any need for money belt as there are ATMs everywhere and all you need is small bills for tips. Backpack. I think cruises are great for everyone as you can be completely comfortable casual or dressed up...you decide! One power strip. I get really seasick but only rough one day and then pretty mild so Bonnie worked fine and did not make me drowsy at all...wore the wrist bands all the time as have had good luck with them in the past.

Layers are great as the temperatures vary so much during the course of the day and even where you are standing on the ship. Don't buy fleece and windbreakers before you go. All the ports sell jackets and fleece VERY inexpensively. They are nice souvenirs, but remember to leave room when you are packing to bring them home.

Since weather varies even if you get the best, bring all possible options from short sleeves and shorts to long sleeves and rain gear. The coldest we were was on the ship looking at the glacier for hours. That where I wore the earmuffs and hood for wind.It is so true that many inexpensive shirts and fuzzy jackets are inexpensive and fun to have for souvenirs.Our goretex hooded jackets were invaluable buy I like a small umbrella as well.A jewelry store gave them away with a coupon in one of the many booklets given out. Sneakers or good walking shoes are fine unless you are really hiking. ZOOM lense for camera and lots of memory, strong binoculars (stabilizer if possible) is great for those wonderful shots. Your own alarm is handy and a gps would be wonderful. We have found that the photos taken onboard are so fabulous that it is great to have nice clothes for that alone although not that many are formal;most in jackets and nice outfits.PLastic bags in all sizes are always handy -can keep your feet dry in your sneakers, store a little food ,keep organized, etc.Stamps for cards if you will send them. Meds for possible colds. We use Source Naturals - Wellness Formula, capsules preventively when ever we fly or travel as well as at home. Much better than Airborne to build or strengthen immunity.Feeling well is the most important part of traveling. Loved Alaska last summer and wore everything I mentioned from shorts to long and layers with raincoats. I bought no gold jewelry but every town in Alaska has tons of jewelry shops. I was really surprised by that.HAVE FUN

LAYERS!!! Check LLBean and Lands End for some wonderful lightweight, warm, windproof fleece jackets......along with a good waterproof layer (think GoreTex), those two layers will see you through most situations up there. We've been to AK three times, and finally got it right this last time! In addition, if you're going toward the beginning/end of the tourist season, we'd recommend throwing in a pair of lightweight or silk longjohns. Unlike thermals, they don't take up much room and if you're interested in doing lots of outdoor activities and plan to spend extensive time on deck at the glaciers, they really can make a difference in comfort. If you plan to do some kayaking, rubber boots are a must. And if you're going inland (Denali or even the Kenai area), the aforementioned insect repellant is an absolute must! Also recommend wool socks, sunglasses, and a good hat! Enjoy.......Alaska is a magical place (especially if you venture out of the ports).

I just returned on June 21. It was very cold and windy (and a bit rainy) on the day we went to Glacier Bay. We did not have a balcony, so we stood out on the Promenade deck. When it was at its windiest and coldest, I wore a hat, a winter coat with my hood over my hat, gloves, long underwear pants, toe warmers and hand warmers. I had a sweatshirt on underneath the coat.

In Juneau, it got very windy and cold in the afternoon, so I wore my winter coat and gloves very comfortably.

Earlier that morning, on a nature walk near Juneau, I just wore a sweatshirt with no jacket.

When we sent to White Pass and Emerald Lake on a van out of Skagway, I wore a winter coat with no gloves.

In Ketchikan, I wore a light jacket.

So I recommend bringing layers and a backpack to hold them in when you don't need them.

1. Layers

My best purchase, thermal silk underwear. Turtleneck, sweatshirt, raincoat.

Waterproof shoes, extra socks. Hat and mittens for sitting on the balcony

up the inside passage. Extra shoes in case yours get soggy. ...

Is this recommended for a SUMMER cruise (early Aug)? I know it can get chilly, but can it get cold enough to warrant thermal underwear, turtlenecks and mittens? Then again, we live in Phoenix, so I'm sure what's cool to others will be frigid to us! ;-)

Is this recommended for a SUMMER cruise (early Aug)? I know it can get chilly, but can it get cold enough to warrant thermal underwear, turtlenecks and mittens? Then again, we live in Phoenix, so I'm sure what's cool to others will be frigid to us! ;-)

Hi,:) we all have our own comfort levels of warmth and cold.

I don't own thermals but yes, many people do bring them.

Mittens and gloves are always recommended. I bring gloves.

They don't take up much space at all. And raingear? That is a must.

When you ask about August, The cruising season for Alaska is

late April through late September. Yes, it can get cold enough

for those above items. Just depends on your preference and

level of comfort:)

Thanks for all of your feedback. I especially like the compact backpack idea and can see how that would come in handy!

As far as the $50 head tax and berth fee, it's included in the taxes and fees portion of your fare when you book an Alaska cruise. There's been quite a bit of controversy surrounding the tax since it was imposed, and the option in the poll was meant to be more humorous than anything else. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

Hi,:) we all have our own comfort levels of warmth and cold.

I don't own thermals but yes, many people do bring them.

Mittens and gloves are always recommended. I bring gloves.

They don't take up much space at all. And raingear? That is a must.

When you ask about August, The cruising season for Alaska is

late April through late September. Yes, it can get cold enough

for those above items. Just depends on your preference and

level of comfort:)

Thanks! Well, we're all wimps when it comes to cold. So I suppose thermals, mittens, hats, ear-muffs... we'll have to bring the works. Problem is that we don't OWN these things! And yes, we'll have to buy rain gear as well. :( We'll definitely be hitting the thrift stores for some of it!

Thanks! Well, we're all wimps when it comes to cold. So I suppose thermals, mittens, hats, ear-muffs... we'll have to bring the works. Problem is that we don't OWN these things! And yes, we'll have to buy rain gear as well. :( We'll definitely be hitting the thrift stores for some of it!

Hi,:) where are you from?

A rain poncho is not expensive. I don't bring ear-muffs. I don't

bring thermals either. So, it just depends on your comfort zone.

No need for a sad face:).....thrift stores and consignment shops

are wonderful places to shop:D

Hi sujaha,

I have never heard of silk longjohns, but they sound really comfy! I might get a pair to just bum around in this winter in New Jersey. :D Where would you find a pair and are they expensive?? Thanks for the tips!

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

LAYERS!!! Check LLBean and Lands End for some wonderful lightweight, warm, windproof fleece jackets......along with a good waterproof layer (think GoreTex), those two layers will see you through most situations up there. We've been to AK three times, and finally got it right this last time! In addition, if you're going toward the beginning/end of the tourist season, we'd recommend throwing in a pair of lightweight or silk longjohns. Unlike thermals, they don't take up much room and if you're interested in doing lots of outdoor activities and plan to spend extensive time on deck at the glaciers, they really can make a difference in comfort. If you plan to do some kayaking, rubber boots are a must. And if you're going inland (Denali or even the Kenai area), the aforementioned insect repellant is an absolute must! Also recommend wool socks, sunglasses, and a good hat! Enjoy.......Alaska is a magical place (especially if you venture out of the ports).

Hi sujaha,

I have never heard of silk longjohns, but they sound really comfy! I might get a pair to just bum around in this winter in New Jersey. :D Where would you find a pair and are they expensive?? Thanks for the tips!

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

Cabelas Sporting Goods has nice warm ones, but not very fancy and basic colors. I wear them when I have to work outside at our farm in Missouri.

I have purchased from these two companies. I buy a LOT of silk stuff from Compositions, which is in NYC. They have had silk underwear only in the winter. But their silk t's and long sleeved pullovers are really really nice, washable and last a long time.

http://www.wintersilks.com/longunderwear/default.aspx?BRANCH=1~

http://www.compositions.com/index.html

They are called Silks at JCPenny and Dillards. You can look online and find them at a great discount this time of year.

I took on the cruise on 5/26, way too much stuff...... Pack light.

If I were going again this is what i would pack. We packed SO MUCH MORE than this.

1. Hiking Boots (look like tennis shoes)

2. 1 sweatshirt

3. 2 longsleeve shirts

4. 2 pair of capris

5. 2 - 3 pair of jeans

6. 1 or 2 pair of sweats (for sitting on the balcony)

7. hat, gloves, scarf,

8. bug spray (I use AVON brand in the pump)

9. Sunglasses

10. Really good camera and lots of memory

11. socks/underwear (1 pair of wool socks)

12. 1 Formal dress and 1 formal pair of pants and 2 or 3 tops to go with pants and one pair of shoes to match them all.

13. PJ's (or not....) :D

The first stop we bought rain jackets for 15.00 really nice and have Alaska on them. Only used them for rain in Ketchikan and then as a light jacket on board, at the Mendenhall Glacier and in Denali.

You are going to purchase t-shirts, so really no need to pack a whole bunch of them, and if you pick up the coupon book when you get on the ship, then you can get most of them for 1.99 - 3.99.

Hi sujaha,

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

We are heading up on the Aug 22 sailing out of SF and are trying to decide, like everyone else, what to take.

If you cannot find silk longjohns, try the polyester/wicking/composite stuff:), available at places like REI. They work very well, and are reasonable cost wise.

I took a Rainsleeve for my new Digital SLR camera. It is a reusable plastic bag type cover designed to protect cameras from the rain and they cost less than $8 for two. It came in handy in rainy Ketchikan. They are available from specialty camera stores or online.

N.

Can you please tell me which rainsleeve you used??

And I repeat the question, what is a head tax and berth fee?

Archived