Doorways on the Westerdam

sassy73

Do you have someone who will be using a scooter or a wheel chair?

If so, only handicapped rooms and Delux cabins (PS, SA, SB, SC) have door ways that are larger and all scooters and wheelchair can fit through without the person having to walk inside the room on their own.

Please explain why you are asking this.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you have someone who will be using a scooter or a wheel chair?

If so, only handicapped rooms and Delux cabins (PS, SA, SB, SC) have door ways that are larger and all scooters and wheelchair can fit through without the person having to walk inside the room on their own.

Please explain why you are asking this.

I use a wheelchair and I will have a friend in a suite. (I'm in a fully accessible inside cabin) and just wondering if I would be able to hang out in his room. He has a SS room on the Westerdam. I know I wouldn't be able to use the bathroom or anything like that.

The end of the bed should meet up with a desk/vanity and not a wall. (There is room between them, but not sure how much) Are you able to manage at all with leaving the wheelchair in the hall and being helped into the suite?

:confused: As long as the wheelchair fits through the door, the chairs in a SS could easily be moved to make room for the wheelchair. There is space at the end of the bed as it does NOT "meet up with a desk/vanity". There is open floor space at the end of the bed.

That's what I said. Not sure how much. But it doesn't meet with space and a wall. There's something on the wall. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. But I'm still not sure if a wheelchair would be able to roll between the end of the bed and the vanity, EVEN if you moved a chair. The sofa and other chairs are at the end of the vanity area.

If one takes a look at the picture of the SS cabins in one of the HAL brochures or on-line, you can see there is space for a wheelchair to pass between the end of the bed and the vanity. The sofa actually sticks out further than the vanity and there is still room for a wheelchair - one the chairs (and coffee table) are moved.

If you look at the attached photo of our room, which was an SY (similar to SS), you will see that there is the vanity and the sitting area at the end of the bed. I don't recall if that would be enough room for a wheelchair to fit, obviously the table would have to be moved.

008_room_2.jpg.f4b0952fc7fd94d14630f15d3948fad5.jpg

If you look at the attached photo of our room, which was an SY (similar to SS), you will see that there is the vanity and the sitting area at the end of the bed. I don't recall if that would be enough room for a wheelchair to fit, obviously the table would have to be moved.

Thank you. Looks like I could fit. I'm double checking with Seattle too.:) Looks like I will be able to lead a little of the suite life, even if I'm in steerage!! (I know, corny, lol.)

I'm rooting for you!:)

As I told him, I'm his Leonardo DiCaprio to his Kate Winslet. (From Titanic of course. ) I basically plan to sleep in my room. (and not even much of that, since I'm on my first cuise!) I looked at a couple of photos online, and moving the table it looks doable. (and I'm a good driver, forrtunately:)

On a side note, he doesn't do message boards, and doesn't know I do them. So in his last note, he was telling me all about docking, and tendering, lol. ( He has cruised a few times before.) But thanks to all of you guys, I'm aware.:)

Archived