Newbie Help Deciding

bigdawg_cb

I've been looking at a cruise for quite a while but I can't decide. I was planning on the Mexican Riviera but then I started looking and with air fair and cruise tickets these three cruises are very comparable. I want to go on a 7 day tropical cruise. Never been on a cruise not sure what to expect. I'm young 27 going with my girlfriend. Just looking to have a good time drinking snorkeling (maybe not at the same time lol) and whatever else there is. Now I'm leaning towards the caribbean because of the crystal clear water.

I was thinking these

7 Night Mexican Riviera Splendor Sept 27- Oct 4

7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean Carnival Valor Sept 27- Oct 4

7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean Carnival Liberty Sept 26- Oct 3

Any input to help me make my decision would be great. I'm probably booking one next week or 2. Like I said completely new to this so simple obvious things to most of you will help me out. If you think there's any others that might interest me more or different cruise line let me know I'm open to changing my mind. I'm pretty set on the date because I don't think I can wait any longer lol, but might be able to.

I don't have any input on those cruises...sorry. But, I would offer that if you have never cruised before it might be better to start with a shorter trip. Most people lover cruising (I'm sure everyone on this board will fall into that category) but some do not. I cruised with a couple of friends and they hated it! Some people think they will love cruising and find they just love the idea of cruising and hate to actually be on the ship. I was greatful it was only a 4 day cruise or I doubt I would still be friends with them. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck deciding! Try to figure out what is most important (ship's layout, ports, food options, etc.) to the two of you and that will help direct you.

I've been looking at a cruise for quite a while but I can't decide. I was planning on the Mexican Riviera but then I started looking and with air fair and cruise tickets these three cruises are very comparable. I want to go on a 7 day tropical cruise. Never been on a cruise not sure what to expect. I'm young 27 going with my girlfriend. Just looking to have a good time drinking snorkeling (maybe not at the same time lol) and whatever else there is. Now I'm leaning towards the caribbean because of the crystal clear water.

I was thinking these

7 Night Mexican Riviera Splendor Sept 27- Oct 4

7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean Carnival Valor Sept 27- Oct 4

7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean Carnival Liberty Sept 26- Oct 3

Any input to help me make my decision would be great. I'm probably booking one next week or 2. Like I said completely new to this so simple obvious things to most of you will help me out. If you think there's any others that might interest me more or different cruise line let me know I'm open to changing my mind. I'm pretty set on the date because I don't think I can wait any longer lol, but might be able to.

Good morning, newbie. I think you would love any of these cruises, but I would pick the 7 night Exotic Western Caribbean on the Liberty. I will be on the Liberty on the Eastern Caribbean Sept. 19 - 26, so you will be getting on while they are dragging me off the Liberty! :( I have been on the Liberty before and loved it! I have been to Cozumel and really enjoyed it! I think after this cruise, you will be hooked! Enjoy the planning! :) Deb

Although I've been to the Mexican Riviera a number of times and LOVE it, my heart belongs to the Caribbean...

As you're interested in the beaches and the fun, I'd suggest the Valor. Four GREAT port and lots of beautiful water...

Personally, I'm not a ports kinda guy but I think you'd really enjoy that itinerary...

:)

Have a WONDERFUL voyage!!!

:)

Someone please tell this young man about the different types of bookings such as early saver, guaranteed, insurance, PVP vs. TA etc etc. I would do it but don't understand the details of all this stuff. I just know that if situations change, he could lose a lot of money.

Someone please tell this young man about the different types of bookings such as early saver, guaranteed, insurance, PVP vs. TA etc etc. I would do it but don't understand the details of all this stuff. I just know that if situations change, he could lose a lot of money.

Yes please do. I planned on booking through priceline unless you guys tell me elsewhere. Planned on getting insurance, but that's all I really know about.

For a first time cruise for snorkeling and cocktails, I would suggest the Inspiration with Grand Caymen and Cozumel. Free access to some great snorkeling, and of course, fine beverages of choice. Also the ship size is good for finding your way around. The first time can be quite confusing.

Hello, fellow Oregonian, and WELCOME to CC! :D (what part of Oregon are you from......I'm in southeastern)

I have cruised to Mexican Riviera, Western Caribbean and Eastern Caribbean. Mex. Riv. was great (it was our first cruise) but the Caribbean is fantastic. If you are interested in snorkeling, it is MUCH better in the Caribbean. You see lots of colorful fish.....when I snorkelled in Cabo on our Mex. Riv. cruise, I only saw a few fish and they were black or grey.

I disagree with the poster who said go on a shorter cruise. Go for the 7-day! We have only done 7-day cruises, and NO WAY was I ready to get off the ship after 4 or 5 days.

I have been on Valor, and it is a great ship. I've also heard good things about Liberty, so either of those ships would be great for you.

I can only speak for the cruise I've been on, which was the Carnival Valor. We loved the ship. And the ports can not be beat. In Grand Cayman we swam with the stingrays - which is very fun. In Roatan we did the discover scuba excusrion, and it was on one of the most beautiful reefs I have seen in a very long time (and I grew up in Miami). In Cozumel my husband convinced me to rent a scooter and we drove around the island and had a great, relaxed day. And in Belize we did cave tubbing, which we probably would not ever do again (since we didn't enjoy it) but 3 out of 4 wasn't bad.

Hi,

I haven't been on any of those ships, but cruised for the first time this past October.

Definitely go 7 days! If you are looking for snorkeling, I suggest the Caribbean. If you like to have fun, chances are you'll enjoy any cruise you take.

Check out the excursions for each site and see if something jumps out at you.

Good luck :)

Hi, I agree with the others that recommend the longer cruises. The shorter ones are just that, short. Also I would go either of the Caribbean cruises, I have been both and loved them both. It just depends on what you really want to do. I dive so anytime the cruise goes to Roatan I go there as the diving is awesome.

I'm young 27 going with my girlfriend. Just looking to have a good time drinking snorkeling (maybe not at the same time lol) and whatever else there is.

Any input to help me make my decision would be great. I'm pretty set on the date because I don't think I can wait any longer lol, but might be able to.

hey bigdawg - welcome to cc.

i think you've got some great options there, and i have particularly been looking at the western caribbean itineraries, on the same ships, at about the same time! i'm with you about not being able to wait any longer - i'm looking at 9/27 and 10/4 or so. one thing that's nice about these fall cruises is that the weather will be a little more tolerable (not as hot) at this time. however, it's also in the midst of hurricane season - which is part of why cruises at this time are less expensive. another factor, is the fact that kids are back in school, so demand is less (and there are less kids on board!). just be aware that the itineraries may change, as the ship will sail away from a storm.

i've been looking at all the cruises in and around the same time period, and i'd also recommend the 7 night cruises as other posters have stated. i took a 5 day on destiny last year (also on 9/27), and the extra days were missed. for me, i couldn't spend too much time away, so it worked - but if you don't have time / work constraints, go for the 7 - it's not that much more than the 5 day cruises, at that point of the year. that cruise went to ocho rios, jamaica and grand cayman - which are 2 of the ports for liberty. if you consider that itinerary, i'd definitely recommend dunn's river falls, and another added excursion (such as mystic mountain for sky explorer, jamaican bobsled (roller coaster) or ziplining afterwards as the falls only takes an hour or so), as a first time cruiser. jamaica isn't the 'safest' port out there, so as a first timer, you might consider a carnival run excursion.

in grand cayman, which both the liberty and valor visit, again as a first timer, i'd definitely recommend sting ray city and snorkeling. contrary to jamaica, grand cayman is a very 'safe' port, and there are a bunch of local, reputable and well reviewed tour operators. i'd recommend booking with one of the independent operators here, to save some $ - for sting ray city, i recommend moby dick tours. i reviewed the excursions noted here - with pics, in my review (linked in my signature) - along with the shopping guides / port maps, and full lists of carnival excursions, with their actual prices listed. i'd recommend taking a look if you're planning on these ports (and g.c. is for both ships).

in the end though, i'm currently favoring valor - it's about the best itinerary out there for this time of year, in my opinion. vs. the liberty, it has 4 port stops instead of 3, and doesn't include jamaica (which is a perennially most common port stop for cruises) - belize, roatan are a little more 'exotic' ports of call - great spots for some snorkeling, too, as you've expressed interest in.

as far as lines are concerned - most of the mainstream / mass market cruise lines are more similar than they're different. that being said, carnival is most often (not always) the most cost-effective, and offers the most bang for your buck. i'm 27 also, and at this point in my life, i'm inclined toward carnival, because i feel that again, most often (though not always), there are more people of our age demographic on carnival, and many have indicated that the nightlife on carnival (you mentioned drinking, too, lol) is superior to that on other lines. i had a blast on my last cruise, and met up with a lot of other like minded people that were our friends for the week. so, in short, i can't say enough good things about carnival :D

hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions - i just might see you on valor this fall! :cool:

My advise is to go on the Liberty I love that ship. Book directly with carnival so much less of a hassel and you will get the best deal possible. If the price goes down they will just give you on board credit. If you book with a private travel agent Carnival won't deal with your booking you have to call the agent then they call carnival then agent hopefully calls you back. I booked private last time I cruised and I now only book directly with Carnival it's less of a hassel. Hope this helps.

I've been on all three, Splendor is a great ship but not the ports you are looking for, My favorite is Liberty, great ship:)

But i must warn you.....once you sail the Caribbean, you will want nothing else!!!

you may also want to go to the ports of call board and research the ports that both Valor & Liberty go to before you make your final decision.

Have a great first cruise.

Since you are a first timer go with the Liberty. The Eastern Caribbean has some really nice spots that you should see first time. San Juan has that really interesting Puerto Rican flavor and its something to see and enjoy. Walk around town, visit the forts. Its interesting. St Thomas is one of my favorite spots and has world class beaches and great shopping. Half Moon Cay and grand Turk are fantastic beach days.

The Valor will visit Belize and Isla Roatan - poorer areas and as a first timer you might be somewhat disappointed with the poorer areas. As you become more experienced you learn to look past some of the poorer areas because you are plannign to do an excursion anyway but as a first time you could be intimidated or disappointed.

Take my advice - Liberty would be your best option.

eastern oregon, Baker.

thanks for all the help definetly helping me out.

Excellent! Nice to have another Eastern Oregonian here. Been a long time since I've been through Baker.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Are the ports the same for Valor and Liberty? That might help make your decision......we can give you our opinion on each of the ports.

We are recent first-timers, Newbie, so here's my take.

GO FOR SEVEN DAYS!!! LOL. You will absolutely love it and be glad you don't have to get off the ship in 5.

I cruised Liberty and loved it--even Jamaica, because we did tubing on the White River. The ship is gorgeous. Here is my review with lots of pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848064j (warning, there are lots of food pictures in here, too, because at the time, everyone was "talking food" on the boards)

However, since I haven't yet been to Isla Roatan and Belize, I would be tempted to cruise Valor.

I think you'd be safe on either one as far as enjoying your experience.

Now, here's my other advice and remember you get what you pay for :)

Don't book through Priceline until you've cruised a time or two and have spent time here on the boards to understand what it is you are doing. Go to a Travel Agent (TA) or call Carnival for a Personal Vacation planner so they can explain things to you. The price you see on Priceline is for a "bottom of the barrel" cabin. Who knows--you might WANT to be in a balcony up on the Lido deck, or you might WANT an Oceanview up higher--so once you know the different "classes" of cabins, then Priceline might be what you would do in the future. I booked my first cruise with a website that did CRUISES ONLY and they did a good job explaining things to me and felt I got a good deal. Here's the "skinny" on this, though--any time you want to ask questions about cabin upgrades or On Board Credit (OBC) they will put you on hold to call Carnival. Carnival will not talk with you if you book through someone else, so it's up to you how you want to approach it.

You'll get differing points of view on Insurance and where to find it.

The fares--if you go to the Carnival website you will see different fares for past guests and such. The "Easy Fare" I think it is called is one that you can book at a lower rate than a regular fare. Your deposit is non-refundable, but if the price of the cruise goes lower up to 2 days before the cruise they will adjust the price. This means if the cruise goes lower and the cruise is paid for in full, they will issue you an OBC. So you get price protection, but if something changes and you need to cancel, you forfeit your deposit.

Each level of the ship and where the cabin is located on each deck costs differently. You may not even care since it is your first time on a ship, and that's ok too!

I look at it this way--the Western itineraries seem to have all the water-related stuff like Stingrays (you can't miss those if you go to Grand Cayman, at least for the first time) if you like all that stuff--scuba and snorkeling is really good in Cozumel and we loved snorkeling in Grand Cayman--you're going to have a wonderful time. The water is unspeakably beautiful.

Let us know what you decide. Everyone here is really helpful with answering newbies' questions, so have fun here on the board--it helps time pass while you're waiting for your cruise date!

I don't believe any of the choices could possibly be bad. Only ship I have sailed was the Splendor when she was in the Caribbean. Had a wonderful time, totally loved the ship. No bad experiences or negatives I could think of. For me I think I would also review the available ship excursions in the different ports, see which ones you think you might enjoy the most, etc.

I haven't looked at the Valor or Victory for that matter for any of their cruises, honestly I think I have only checked on the Pride and the Dream lately.

I suggest the Caribbean on the Liberty (I love that ship) and book direct with Carnival. Call the 800 number and speak to a PVP (personal vacation planner) at Carnival.

Remember that you can't cancel or change a cruise the way you can a normal vacation, so be sure that you are booking what you want, when you want it. Good luck!

Well, it sounds like it's good any one I choose. Date changed a week ealier that's when I put in for vacation Sept 20 - 27. I think I'm going to go with Valor, I'm 95% sure. I'm basically down for whatever. I can just kick back and have some drinks and be happy or be all over the place doing everything. I'm just trying to make sure it's something my girlfriend can enjoy, from the sounds of things I think she'll be happy on any of the cruises. I think she'll be in amazement just seeing the water, I mean she's only been to the coast 2x in her life and that was the Oregon coast. I've been around so I know how nice it is in the carribean. I know everyone had different opinions, but sounds like none of the cruises are bad choices which I am very happy to hear. Anyway thank you guys so much for the help.

dang just when I think I have it all figured out I start looking at carnivals webpages they have all sorts of things I have to look into. The "fun saver", "fun select", and "cash back". I think I'll go with the cash back. Anyway I'll just give them a call I'm sure they can guide me through things. I could spend hours looking at everything and probably will. :D

So do you recommend booking the excursions through carnival or are they more expensive that way? Anyway I'm super excited, be even more so when I actually have it booked.

dang just when I think I have it all figured out I start looking at carnivals webpages they have all sorts of things I have to look into. The "fun saver", "fun select", and "cash back". I think I'll go with the cash back. Anyway I'll just give them a call I'm sure they can guide me through things. I could spend hours looking at everything and probably will. :D

So do you recommend booking the excursions through carnival or are they more expensive that way? Anyway I'm super excited, be even more so when I actually have it booked.

OK, now your next step is to go to the PORTS OF CALL boards here and find out what people do for excursions. You most certainly could go with Carnival excursions, (they are the ones that the ship will wait if you're late); however, there are tons of local excursions that still get you back in plenty of time. Use those posts from experienced cruisers to book your local ones if you want.

From my first cruise, I have only booked one Carnival excursion and it was a sunset sail on a catamaran in Cozumel and I would SO do it again--we had a lot of fun. Some of the other ones can feel like a cattle call, whereas if you go on a local one, less crowds=better experience, imho.

Have a GREAT TIME!

Oh, PS: Once you get your booking number, you'll have to go back to the Carnival website to get your FUN PASS set up for both you and your girlfriend. You will need your air arrangements, your hotel arrangements, and your passport numbers... this is all for Homeland Security.

Archived