Currency conversion

gollane

I recently got my credit card account after our Med cruise on the Grand,although I had specified to have my card billed in Dollars Princess converted it to GBP.With a late night and an early disembarkation I had no time to query it on board,the line at the pursers desk was pretty long anyway.

I sent Princess a copy of my conversion form but have heard nothing apart from them saying they received it.

Question. Has anyone succeeded in getting their bill put right? if so how.

Have you ever gotten billed in $? I know that when i would have to check expenses from our London office, the charges were always based on if the credit card was US or UK issued. That it wasn't up to the vendor what currency was billed to the card.

We have just filled out our eTicket Boarding Pass for embarkation on an upcoming Princess cruise and there is a section at the bottom regarding conversion.

It quite clearly says **YOU MUST MAKE A SELECTION BELOW IF YOU ARE A PASSENGER WITH A NON-US DOLLAR MASTERCARD OR VISA CARD**

In short you have the option of checking one of two boxes: either to ask Princess to convert to your country's currency, or tick the second box and to leave it to the bank to convert from US$ to your home currency.

I have not previously seen it put quite as plainly as this. I never quite trust them and always go down with another card a day before disembarkation and pay on the different card. To be fair, the balance has always been billed in US$ as requested. A friend had a very nasty experience on the Tahitian Princess a few years back when Princess converted to AU$ at a nice little profit to them, so I haven't wanted to run the risk of this happening.

We have an AMEX so I guess they must just leave that in US$ as it is not covered. I still pay a day ahead.

Beryl

I have always had my card debited in $US and never had a problem,I am wondering that as this was the Grands first cruise out of Southampton with a very large number of first time cruisers they assumed everyone would want their bill in GBP,thats me being very lenient in my opinion.

Our account was about $1800.00 so with Princess taking a 3% commissioin and with the dollar weakening it has cost me around $140.00. or put another way approx. 25 shots of Princess whisky!!

Yes I disputed this with princess. It took then 6 weeks to respond to the letter and then a further 2 weeks to send the cheque. Dispute it with your credit card company, that was the only thing that seem to spur them into action.

As someone else said this has been mentioned several times. But here is my story again...

I have a Canadian Credit Card and requested US Dollars allowing my bank to convert to Canadian on my boarding pass where I was supposed to.

I got the opposite when my bill arrived and had to pay the 3% conversion fee and Princess' exchange rate. I called Princess Accounts and was told that because I didnt have a US Credit Card that was the only way it COULD be done.I did argue the fact but got nowhere. I have since seen another boarding pass, in fact I am looking at it as I send this, and the selection/choice only applies to a passenger with a Non US Dollar Mastercard or Visa. So obviously I was given incorrect information. Try phoning princess and asking to be put through to the Account department to speak with someone and stick to your guns! I intend to come December when we sail again. Why is this so difficult I wonder?

Yes I disputed this with princess. It took then 6 weeks to respond to the letter and then a further 2 weeks to send the cheque. Dispute it with your credit card company, that was the only thing that seem to spur them into action.

This is the correct way to sort it out because the action by Princess in converting the charges is illegal

As above, dispute it with your credit card issuer, send them evidence ie. copy of the chit saying bill in US$. Princess will soon sort it out, if they think they're not going to get paid......

We have just filled out our eTicket Boarding Pass for embarkation on an upcoming Princess cruise and there is a section at the bottom regarding conversion.

It quite clearly says **YOU MUST MAKE A SELECTION BELOW IF YOU ARE A PASSENGER WITH A NON-US DOLLAR MASTERCARD OR VISA CARD**

In short you have the option of checking one of two boxes: either to ask Princess to convert to your country's currency, or tick the second box and to leave it to the bank to convert from US$ to your home currency.

And highlight your response and make a copy of the page. Good to have the copy as evidence when of they ignore the instructions.

• 1 month later...

Well after some 7 weeks I have had a refund from Princess but only for their 3% commission,at the time the dollar was falling against the pound and I had hoped to benefit from a better exchange rate but nonethe less I am happy witha small victory.

And highlight your response and make a copy of the page. Good to have the copy as evidence when of they ignore the instructions.

We take our boarding sheet and run it through our home printer and add in bold red colour U.S. Currency after the word Visa and at the botton where one ticks the box for non conversion we print the additional words U.S. Funds Only

Finally, something that works.

Archived