Guest Talent Show?

sweetlouise

On Carnival last year one of the shows was Carnival Legends, where guests had auditioned days before to impersonate singing celebs like Madonna, Ricky Martin, James Brown, Britney Spears ......

Does anyone know if Princess does something similar??

Simmy :-)

Some, not all, do have a passenger talent show. The volunteer passengers audition and if at all passable are allowed in the show.

Talents have ranged from singing to dancing to joke telling to piano playing, etc.

Some performers have been excellent, some have been very good, some have been good, some have been poor, and some have been very poor.

There is also usually a "Princess Pop Star" contest which is a basically karaoki contest. This is ofteny very popular with preliminaries over several nights and then a final contest with those that survived the elim,ination rounds.

If they did, I,for one, would not go to the show. With few exceptions they are truly amateurs in the worst way. It is sad to see them get up and perform, if you can call it that. But there is a large segment of the population,cruising and otherwise, who is amused by such degrading performances - witness the success of "reality" shows on TV these days.:(

I have been to a crew and passenger show a couple of times and think they are the best.:)

I asked about it on Sea Princess but the cruise director said he wasn`t planning one. I think it is the CD`s decision what goes on.

If they did, I,for one, would not go to the show. With few exceptions they are truly amateurs in the worst way. It is sad to see them get up and perform, if you can call it that. But there is a large segment of the population,cruising and otherwise, who is amused by such degrading performances - witness the success of "reality" shows on TV these days.:(

What a snobbish attitude! Anyone who performs in public deserves respect, if not approbation.

I'm with you here. I'm not exactly a lover of the shows anyway but the last thing I'd want to see is any member of Joe Public giving it a bash up on stage.

Can't abide the Princess Pop-Star thing either or karaoke. I actually find myself feeling embarassed for those who are "Performing" and ruining a good song..!! Leave it to those who get paid for doing it.

I'm with you here. I'm not exactly a lover of the shows anyway but the last thing I'd want to see is any member of Joe Public giving it a bash up on stage.

Can't abide the Princess Pop-Star thing either or karaoke. I actually find myself feeling embarassed for those who are "Performing" and ruining a good song..!! Leave it to those who get paid for doing it.

I have to agree, all those shows are an exercise in "cringing'

it is embarrassing for the participant and the audience, soooo happy no one in my family participates:o

Of course after a few drinks, everyone may be a great performer!

I have to agree, all those shows are an exercise in "cringing'

it is embarrassing for the participant and the audience, soooo happy no one in my family participates:o

Of course after a few drinks, everyone may be a great performer!

I feel the same way. If the performers are auditioned and have real talent to be on stage, I'll try the show (but sit in back so I can escape). I do not have the stomach for karaoke...my daughter loves it...to each his own.

I guess I can see it both ways. For someone to have enough B**LS to get in front of people has my vote good or awful!

On the other hand On our cruise next Spring, we have three families going, each has a 9 yr old daughter, and they all dance together in a competitive manner ie...... jazz, hip-hop, and lyrical. They have taken home over 30 first place trophies in 2.5 years. It would be fun watchng them perform on a ship.

Funny thing was last weekend my daughter was a flower girl in a wedding, and barley had the courage to walk down the aisle. HOWEVER give her some music and put her on stage where trophies are to be won & she will dance her socks off in front of 2-3,000 people. GO FIGURE

Tim

It`s lucky there are plenty of other things going on onboard. Nobody is forced to go to these nights.

It`s lucky there are plenty of other things going on onboard. Nobody is forced to go to these nights.

Caber... You're absolutely right in that nobody is forced to go to such events but those of us who don't see the point in them wish the venue & time was put to better use on something a little more genuinely entertaining. However, I guess that's just another thing that falls under the "Subjective" banner.

When I asked in the original post, I didn't mean a typical talent show. I agree, those are pretty bad. This one they did on carnival had the same acts in the show each time. They auditioned guests on the first day at sea from what I remembered. They did the same "stars" each time, and a professional performer was on stage with them dancing or doing backup. They had the costumes/wigs, etc. all set. It was very entertaining and the theatre was packed.

Simmy :-)

The last one we saw on the Island was a talent show and boy did they have talent. The three finialist were semi professional and you could tell. There are some people out there (Susan Boyle) that do have talent and you wouldn't know it. Personally I found it rather nice.

Eileen

The last time I saw an actual passenger talent show on Princess, I was very embarrassed for some of the participants. One man "played his head." He knocked on the top of his bald head and it was supposed to sound like a musical instrument. It sounded like a man knocking on his head. Another man in the same show came on stage and immediately tripped on the microphone cord and everyone roared because we thought it was part of a comedy routine. Well, it wasn't! Also very embarrassing.

On the other hand, I have been to Princess Pop Star for the finals many times and have seen some excellent talent.

For several years in the 1990s, Princess had "Love Boat Legends." There was no audition, but if you were interested, you signed up to be a character. There were several rehearsals during the week prior to the show, which was held on the last night of the cruise. Basically, you lip-synched to a recording but there was acting/dancing involved, too.

Characters were Shirley Temple, The Temptations, Luciano Pavarotti, Blue Brothers, Michael Jackson and Dolly Parton. (Dolly was always played by a large male who wore inflatable breasts under his dress. The breasts "grew" in stages during the performance!)

Costumes, wigs, etc., were provided by Princess. We learned dance steps from someone on the cruise staff, practicing to music from a boom box. The final rehearsal was with the ship's dancers who were part of some of the acts. I was Shirley on three cruises and performed with the male dancers (dressed as sailors) to "On the Good Ship Lollipop." Great fun! The skits were very funny and the audience loved it.

I'm guessing this was the type of show the OP was talking about.

Archived