R/T Flight to San Juan from Boston/Providence area

Hello fellow Bostonians!!! I'm not heading out on my cruise for almost another year...but I am beginning to see the flights become available. What has your experience been with booking a flight? Better to book early? What airline has the best prices normally? This will be my first cruise heading out somewhere other than Florida. Any information would be appreciated.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My first balcony on the Serenade - 4/16/05!!!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

I have found that American has the best selection of non-stop flights from Boston to San Juan. Also, if you purchase tickets, and the price goes down, they will issue you a voucher for the difference to be used on a future American flight. We did this on our trip in March 2003. Price dropped $113 about 6 weeks before flight. I called American and they issued a voucher in my and my husband's name, which we used to help pay for our tickets to Miami in Sept. 2003. It's a win/win situation. You get to pick the flights that suit you the best, then watch to see if prices drop. If they do, jump on it.

Beverly

Southward 1988, Britannis 1994, Dolphin IV 1995, Star Princess (old version) 1996, Sea Princess 1999, Seabreeze 1999, Rembrandt 2000, Destiny 2000, Seabreeze 2000, Triumph 2000, Norwegian Majesty 2001, Destiny 2001, Sensation 2002, Victory 2002, Destiny 2003, Vision of the Seas 2003, Triumph 2003, Voyager of the Seas 2004,

I say book early as well. Not sure about pricing to PR, but keep checking. Check out of Manchester as well (MHT). Not that far from you. Logan is very easy for you, but the price out of MHT may be worth it.

Disney Magic 01/10/04

Enchantment of the Seas 01/22/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I booked last December for my trip this past April. I watched the prices for quite some time and pounced when they dropped. I got a non-stop from Boston to SJ on AA for about $355 pp. I did not see it any cheaper before booking or since, although I did see it for significantly more (up to $700+). I'd say if you can get a flight you like for $400 or less, jump on it.

Dentalchic-

We found the prices to be cheaper from Boston than Providence (though I'd much rather fly from PVD). The cheapest price we could find for July 3rd was USAirways - $378 including all taxes per person. Providence to SJU was about $60 more a person - we'll be 4, so we had to do Boston. Now we have to figure out if a limo or parking the car will be cheaper!!!

I agree - anything under $400 is a good deal. We booked in March and the next day, the prices were all higher! Now all the flights are full. I'd suggest maybe 5 months out? Maybe by next year JetBlue will have direct flights from Boston to PR - I was hoping it would happen for us. Just keep checking their website.

As for times - we are taking a direct at 7:40 - will put us in around 11:30. For the return, the morning ones were too early - we weren't sure we could make those 11:00 flights, then the next ones seemed to be in the 2:30 - 3:00 range, so we booked that. We are going to do the San Juan city tour from RCCL which will bring us direct to the airport for $25 each! Sounds like a better way to spend time than hang around the airport. Have fun planning your trip!

Elaine in RI

Nordic Empress 3/01

Carnival Triumph 4/02

Fascination 8/03

Adventure of the Seas 7/04

I have also been looking at the flights from Boston and PVD for our AOS cruise in November and here is what I have found. Boston is about $100 to $150 pp cheaper however by the time i put in for the car to be parked for the week and would feel more comfortable going down day before if i am booking my own air so need transfers in SJ and hotel then the price came out to almost the same as if i have RCI do air. I will be able to get custom air for free from crown and anchor so that is the way we are going.

Why go day early? well my son just deployed with the National Guard for training in Mo. beautiful day - flight left Boston do to weather 2 hours late missed conection in O hare spent night in Chicago. I never would have beleived it on a beautiful spring day but just an example why if not doing RCI air I feel you really need to go day early.

Bestfares.com has a Boston-San Juan fare for $275, but there will be some fees added on to that. You also have to join, but it's an annual membership.

I got my son a great fare to London this June, and I'm watching Hawaii fares for my older son.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Logan to San Juan is cheaper. AA is direct. Anything under $400 is a good price. Last August I saw United Logan-SJU for $280 for MLK Jr week. That was on sidestep. I would definitely start checking prices and when you see something book it.

I don't think you need to go down a day early into SJU in April. That is me.

My parents are going direct from Logan into SJU on July 4 for their cruise. They are doing the 7am flight someone mentioned. They got the air as part of a group cruise deal so price is not seperate to give you idea. icon_frown.gif

I booked my Feb 2005 air when they released the dates for the return weekend.My flight has now almost tripled in price and is pretty full.

Dental,

I live in Somerset btw. icon_biggrin.gif

No longer cruiseless...donations still accepted! Miracle 2/2005

Last cruise

Sensation 2/17/03

If you're looking for a parking alternative, you might try staying at the Airport Holiday Inn at Logan. They have a park/fly special where you can stay one night and park your car up to 10 days in their outside lot free. When I checked prices last February it was $159 a night.

Thanks for all your replies...unfortunately I've had to cancel this trip...my work made a big goof and said I could have the week off...and didn't realize another hygienist already is taking it. The depression is settling in icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;4;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My first balcony on the Serenade - 4/16/05!!!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

We went on the Serenade last Nov and flew out of Boston. We had a direct flight from USAir both ways 1166 and 1167. Left Logan at 7:00am arrived in San Juan at 11:50am... Were on board and in our cabin by 1:30pm. On the way home we took 1167 (leaves around 12:50 or 1pm) and arrives in Boston before 4pm. It's actually the same plane.... It arrives in San Juan, unloads reloads, and goes back to Boston. They switched pilots, but had the same flight attendants as on the flight down.

I'd fly on this again.

We parked at Logan Park and Go in Chelsea.... No hassles at all. The shuttle was there to pick us up at our car, got our luggage and off we went. Being from CT we spend the night at the Hampton Inn (cheap thru Hotels.com) because we arrived at the airport by 5:30am for 7am flight. No security hassles or anything.

Archived