The New Carnival Credit Card

virginiab

The website for the new card now seems to be open for business:

http://www.carnivalseamiles.com

The new card is from Juniper Bank and Seamiles. Anyone have experience with either of these companies? For 10,000 miles (dollars spent) you can get a cruise discount of "up to" $500. This is a nice contract to the 23,000 points you need with the current (and being phased out) Capital One Carnival MasterCard to get a flat (not "up to") $500 discount, but it's only a good deal if the fine print around the "up to" works out well....

VirginiaB

The website for the new card now seems to be open for business:

http://www.carnivalseamiles.com

The new card is from Juniper Bank and Seamiles. Anyone have experience with either of these companies? For 10,000 miles (dollars spent) you can get a cruise discount of "up to" $500. This is a nice contract to the 23,000 points you need with the current (and being phased out) Capital One Carnival MasterCard to get a flat (not "up to") $500 discount, but it's only a good deal if the fine print around the "up to" works out well....

VirginiaB

I read all the terms and conditions and I don't like it.The current card is better. Who cares if you can get "up to" $500 dollars off. I can get up to $5000 trade in for my car but I doubt they will give me more than $1000.

This is a way for them to control everything. I doubt they will let you use only 10,000 points for $500 off on a February vacation sailing.With the current plan (23,000) points you are assured of $500 off on a sailing of your choice with an agent of your choice. I assume if you are flexable it might be a little better but when everything is based on the date,ship,accomidations,ect it seems like they are pulling the strings. Sure you can get a Cat8I and get $500 off but the Cat8a is $500 less so you can start with a balcony and still have a balcony but be 10,000 points less in your account.

Until we start reading about actual people using it I will wait.

Even the airline ticket is no deal. 25,000 points for a ticket and the fine print reads you are to pay the taxes. With the old card, 23,000 points gets me $500 off and my average air ticket is about $175 so I would much rather the $$ off than the ticket.

Steve

I wonder if anyone has had their Carnival Capital One card renewed recently, or if they are just disappearing as they expire. Mine expires this fall....

Prior to Capital One it was MBNA and when Carnival moved to Capital One the MBNA card became a regular cruise card that could go against any cruise line but you had to use their travel agent. Not sure what Capital One will do. Carnival seems to have a difficult time staying with one bank on this program.

This card is really, really bad! It is one of the chintziest cards I have ever seen!

Ok,spending $9000 old CCL card would give $200 for any cruise. So, that is a 2.2% payout (not bad).

The new one doesn't do that. The promise of "up to $500" means squat to me. However, on the new card, you have to spend $30,000 to get enough points to go free on a four day baja cruise, which is worth anywhere from $300 to $450.

Let's assume the $450 figure. Even at that, you are only getting a 1.5% return on your purchases. But wait, it gets even WORSE! Read the fine print- they charge a $50 processing fee! What a rip off! Factor that in and you are now getting only a 1.3% return.

Summary: Old CCL card return: 2.2%

New CCL card return: 1.3%

Oh well, at least I can be happy that my shared in RCL/ CCL are way up and I am leaving in the morning to board the Victory this sunday. Bye!

This card is really, really bad! It is one of the chintziest cards I have ever seen!

Ok,spending $9000 old CCL card would give $200 for any cruise. So, that is a 2.2% payout (not bad).

The new one doesn't do that. The promise of "up to $500" means squat to me. However, on the new card, you have to spend $30,000 to get enough points to go free on a four day baja cruise, which is worth anywhere from $300 to $450.

Let's assume the $450 figure. Even at that, you are only getting a 1.5% return on your purchases. But wait, it gets even WORSE! Read the fine print- they charge a $50 processing fee! What a rip off! Factor that in and you are now getting only a 1.3% return.

Summary: Old CCL card return: 2.2%

New CCL card return: 1.3%

Oh well, at least I can be happy that my shared in RCL/ CCL are way up and I am leaving in the morning to board the Victory this sunday. Bye!

My Card was renewed a few months ago so I am into 2006 safely.

DSclark....Don't forget the fine print on paying the taxes and goverment fee's AKA port charges out of pocket (or airport fee's if flying)

The free cruise is also based on double occupancy so you need double points or are they going to play the 1 free cruise pay brochure rate for the other person.

Steve

DSclark....Don't forget the fine print on paying the taxes and goverment fee's AKA port charges out of pocket (or airport fee's if flying)

The free cruise is also based on double occupancy so you need double points or are they going to play the 1 free cruise pay brochure rate for the other person.

Steve

Oh yeah, forgot about the taxes and fees. Factor those in and I think you might be better off with Discover and the cash back. This card just gets worse and worse...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the Capitol One Card for some time now and have been pretty happy with it. We have saved almost $4000 off our last 5 cruises. I did look at the new card with SeaMiles the small print is very vague. I do see you have to book with them and there is a $50 charge to redeem your points. A couple good things they offer is 5000 points after your first purchase, double points on anything purchased with Carnival. I think for now I will stick with the Capitol One card.

I wonder if anyone has had their Carnival Capital One card renewed recently, or if they are just disappearing as they expire. Mine expires this fall....

My signature box was so worn, you couldn't even sign it with a sharpie anymore and the electronic strip was shot. (I use it for everything, my phone bill, my cell phone bill, my cable, insurance, groceries, Dr's office, so it gets swiped ALOT!!!) The one I had expired in 5/05, but I notice the new one I received expires in 10/08, so there's some hope!

Karen

I pick the carival card - they offer more for the money spent despite all taxes and government fees which you will end up paying for oneway or the other.

With the Cap1 card, you do not end up paying the taxes and fee's if it works out that way on final pricing. If your cruise is $1056 for 2 people and you use a $1000 reward you only pay the $56. That is why the new card makes the fee's and taxes payable in cash.

Steve

I just got my card yesterday. I had to get another card because my Icruise is max'd. I loved the icruise. They usually had the lower price and you get to use your points. I am so sad about this new card. It will not take me long to accumulate $10,000.00 (We own a business). So I will see.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter yesterday in the mail - they are discontinuing the Carnival Capital One points. You have until Feb 28 to accumulate points, and May 31 to redeem them. I also charge EVERYTHING on this card - I have 64,000 points. I was really looking forward to the free 7 day cruise for two. I called last night to redeem the points for a 4 day cruise - I have to wait until Saturday to book. I will update this post with how that goes - what out of pocket expenses. I definitly will NOT get the new card - who is to say this one won't be dis-continued in three years.

I definitly will NOT get the new card - who is to say this one won't be dis-continued in three years.

Then what will you get. The way I see it,is free is free and even though they discontinue it,there is another option and they are offering to bring your old points over.

Steve

• 2 months later...

I got my SeaMiles card right away, I called them, it was Carnival that picked up the phone and assisted me, They told me that my Points will be transfered in July to the new card.... will wait and see.

Not sure if you guys have this on here yet, but I Got the Carnival Vacation Club membership, so far it looks great... Silver Member of 20,000 points for 5 years and lots of benefits, Friends and Family can book on cheaper rates.

take care

Wennfred

• 4 weeks later...

Sea miles.....

I have 12000 points on my NEW SEAMILES CARD already...

So I had access to thier site for 500.00 off for 10,000 points.

I decided to do some price comparision....

I am going on a cruise in August...so I know what I am paying plus I Checked what other prices are out there on other venders....

IF I use my 10000 points . I will pay 20.00 more than if I used a local agent and $5.00 more than If I used expedia...Expedia tacks on mailing cost...

Ps My rate is actuallyalmost 65.00 cheaper...

New card is a joke...

I would love others takes on this.......I think we need to call Carnival...this card just aint gonna cut it unless you can get free cruise ....for 2.....if its for one they will up the other??/

Our family sails all lines, but we use our MBNA NCL MC. NCL offers the best program!

It is 3% of purchases ($3 points for every $100 spent. Each point = $1.00 off your cruise. You then find the best price possible, and book with whom you like and apply the points. Back after 9/11 we purchased a 7-day balcony Alaska and got 7-day Caribbean balcony free. Applied points = 2 free cruises. Then went on Hawaii 7-day mini-suite for 3 = free. Now have over 4000 points ($4000) for our next cruise. There is a maximum of 1000 points per year so both my husband and I have an account, plus we have one together. (3 different cards = 3000 points per year)

I read alot about the other cards, but they dictate with whom you must book with or even what your points are worth. I like this card because I want the best bang for my buck and I look for sales, discounts etc. prior to booking so my points will go farther. Good luck and hope this helps.

Stacy

Archived