Mexican food on Carnival? Soft drink questions too.

TexasMommy

We are sailing in about a week. Does Carnival serve Mexican food? I'm on Fantasy but was curious about other ships too. Most lines don't see to know how to do Mexican food.

Also, I understand you are charged for soda. What drinks are free & where do you get them? Do they have self-serve drinks by the pool? (Juice perhaps?)

Yes, they serve Mexican food. They have a "Taste of the Nations" everyday which is food by a different country each day. Check the capers (program with all of the day's activities) and it will tell you when they will have Mexican day.

The drinks that are free are juice, tea and lemonade.

Do they have self-serve drinks by the pool? (Juice perhaps?)

The drinks near the Lido deck are self-serve. They don't have pool side self-serve. They will have servers handing you alcoholic drinks by the pool but they aren't free.

Yes, they serve Mexican food. They have a "Taste of the Nations" everyday which is food by a different country each day. Check the capers (program with all of the day's activities) and it will tell you when they will have Mexican day.

The drinks that are free are juice, tea and lemonade.

They also have a Mexican Buffet one evening. It is not as good as my favorite Tex-Mex, but it is pretty good.

We are sailing in about a week. Does Carnival serve Mexican food? I'm on Fantasy but was curious about other ships too. Most lines don't see to know how to do Mexican food.

Also, I understand you are charged for soda. What drinks are free & where do you get them? Do they have self-serve drinks by the pool? (Juice perhaps?)

Yes they do serve Mexican food at the buffet and at the deck party. (check the Capers)

I know what you mean about "they don't know how to do Mexican food"

I don't even eat it anymore, I am used to the reall thing, Carnivals to me isn't even up to Taco Bell standard:mad:

There will be free juice out by the pool, usually right outside the doors of the Lido buffet & in the buffet.

As others have stated, they serve it but it is nothing to write home about.

After breakfast it's ice tea and lemonade...I am pretty sure! I always spring for the soda card so I can get juice at the bar for free. I usually order several OJ's in the morning from Room Service along with my coffee and bagels, just so I can have them, in case some smuggled alcohol finds it's way to my room! :eek:

If you have a favorite local cuisine that you can get at home anytime, why would you "have" to have it when you travel?

Folks who want "authenic" mexican, cajun, German whatever should stick to the restaurants that specialize in that food to avoid disappointments. The ingredients/spices are typically very unique and as well as some of the cooking techinques.

The dining rooms and buffets do a great job on typical banquet foods.

there are some nice exceptions, I had great Indian food in one of the International Buffets. So go with modest expectations and you will find some good food.

After breakfast it's ice tea and lemonade...I am pretty sure! I always spring for the soda card so I can get juice at the bar for free. I usually order several OJ's in the morning from Room Service along with my coffee and bagels, just so I can have them, in case some smuggled alcohol finds it's way to my room! :eek:

Juice, lemonade & tea are free all day! You can get it on the Lido and it's on the room service menu 24 hours.

As others have said, Carnival's mexican food isn't very good but their salsa is. I always get my fill of chips and salsa when it is offered.

Being from New Mexico, specifically Albuquerque, (now a Denver transplant)I can attest to the salsa. It's doesn't compare to Albuquerque salsa in any way, spicy ketchup is what it is. I guess to each his own...

OP are correct on the mexican food. But, it they still have the midnight mexican buffet, it a nice treat if you've been out partying:rolleyes:

The drinks near the Lido deck are self-serve. They don't have pool side self-serve. They will have servers handing you alcoholic drinks by the pool but they aren't free.

The pool-side service depends on the ship, the Spirit class ships have some pool-side self-serve drink machines.

Juice, lemonade & tea are free all day! You can get it on the Lido and it's on the room service menu 24 hours.

Actually juice is not free all day from the self-serve machines, they change the OJ and guava-passionfruit juices out to lemonade and iced tea after breakfast. But you can order some juices from room service 24 hours a day.

Being from New Mexico, specifically Albuquerque, (now a Denver transplant)I can attest to the salsa. It's doesn't compare to Albuquerque salsa in any way, spicy ketchup is what it is. I guess to each his own...

OP are correct on the mexican food. But, it they still have the midnight mexican buffet, it a nice treat if you've been out partying:rolleyes:

Maybe I should of said pico de gallo which is yummy. I think their actual "salsa" is Picante which I could see someone describe as spicy ketchup.

Thanks for the responses. This is really helpful!

I did the happy dance when I saw lemonade was free. That is my two kiddo's fav...they'd rather have that than soda anyway. Good news.

Just was curious about the mexican food. We normally sail Disney Cruise Line and their mexican food is horrible. Rest of food is really good but Mexican food is rotten. We can survive without it but being from Texas, LOVE our mexican food. We'll prob skip it then...but will try the chips and salsa.

Maybe I should of said pico de gallo which is yummy. I think their actual "salsa" is Picante which I could see someone describe as spicy ketchup.

I do agree, I like their pico de gallo....I will use that in place of salsa. Guess I should have in my signature, "Give me green chili or give me...nothing"

Fresh roasted green chili with cheese in a flour tortilla..... priceless:D

Tim

I was on the Imagination May 4-8 and we had a midnight Mexican buffet. It was great!! You are charged for soda. Tea, water, lemonade, and orange juice or guava are free.

I do agree, I like their pico de gallo....I will use that in place of salsa. Guess I should have in my signature, "Give me green chili or give me...nothing"

Fresh roasted green chili with cheese in a flour tortilla..... priceless:D

Tim

It seems that we like the same thing after all! Cheers!

being from Texas, LOVE our mexican food. We'll prob skip it then...but will try the chips and salsa.

Definitely skip it. It's not that good when you are used to the great Tex-Mex we get in Texas. Actually, I very seldom try Mexican food when I travel because I know it's not going to come close to what I get at home and I'm going to be very disappointed. (And in states like Arizona, New Mexico, and California -- it's frequently edible there but definitely different from what we get in Texas.)

Definitely skip it. It's not that good when you are used to the great Tex-Mex we get in Texas. Actually, I very seldom try Mexican food when I travel because I know it's not going to come close to what I get at home and I'm going to be very disappointed. (And in states like Arizona, New Mexico, and California -- it's frequently edible there but definitely different from what we get in Texas.)

The funny thing is that the OP was asking about Mexican food, not Tex-Mex food. Not half Texas-half Mexican food, real Mexican food.

Late night Mexican buffet........awful. I love mexican food and I was so dissapointed with it. Everything that was supposed to be crunchy was flexible like it was stale or something. The homemade nachos with cheese and sour cream were tolerable. It was a fun atmosphere though with the music, and all the people seemed excited (maybe drunk?):D.

Archived