Coup in honduras (MERGED THREAD)

pomm1972

I rather doubt this would affect you guys.

A cruise ship visiting small tropical countries is a fairly big economic happening

--cruisers spend half-million dollars ashore,kinda thing?--

and unless there's unrest in the streets and stuff like that

you guys could go ashore completely unaware that anything Up Top even happened, a week ago.

For sure, the cruise line will know well ahead of time re. your personal safety

and will not put you ashore into a hot spot

-very uncool consequences for them. :cool:

Typically the unrest in Honduras begins and ends fairly quickly, but it sounds like this could escalate more than the recent episodes, I'm not sure I remember the president being involved before.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys, it's my favorite port ever :(

The island of Roatan (where Carnival docks) is a long way from mainland Honduras. In fact, you can't even see it from the island! The people there have no love for the government of the mainland. Our private guide kept talking about how corrupt the mainland government was. When the stops at Roatan were cancelled previously, it was due to unrest on Roatan due to the electrical rates rising overnight 300%.

Hopefully, you will get to Roatan. You will find the people there friendly and gracious. They really enjoy showing you their island. Tourism from cruise ship passengers is about their only business.

Typically the unrest in Honduras begins and ends fairly quickly, but it sounds like this could escalate more than the recent episodes, I'm not sure I remember the president being involved before.

:(

The previous protests over the last year on Roatan had nothing to do with the President being taken by force out of the country.

The island of Roatan (where Carnival docks) is a long way from mainland Honduras. In fact, you can't even see it from the island!

It's about 35 miles, Does that mean where you live is only affected by what happens in places you can actually see? This reminds me of Sarah telling us about how they can keep a better eye on Russia because they can see it from alaska.

No, you can't see Tegucigalpa from Roatan but seriously, is that important? How many Americans can actually see washington D.C

When it's clear, you can indeed see the mainland from Roatan.

Historically, unrest on the mainland has not typically affected things on the island; hopefully that will continue to be the case.

I guess it'll all come down to whether a travel advisory is issued or not. That'll dictate if Roatan gets a miss or not.... Too bad, it's one of my favorite stops and I was toying with the idea od a last minute (Aug) cruise that included it.... :(

I guess it'll all come down to whether a travel advisory is issued or not. That'll dictate if Roatan gets a miss or not.... Too bad, it's one of my favorite stops and I was toying with the idea od a last minute (Aug) cruise that included it.... :(

We are on an August cruise that does include it. Roatan is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean and we were also looking forward to stopping there. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

What are the chances of Carnival making a port change rather than an additional day at sea?

From the Travel.state.gov website:

Public Announcements 2009

Political Unrest in Honduras

June 28, 2009

To: All American Citizens

Due to the current unstable political and security situation in Honduras, the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa recommends that American citizens defer all non-essential travel to Honduras until further notice.

Are the ships still planning on stopping in Honduras?

Aloha,

Kat

:confused: That site is in Spanish. I doubt a lot of the members of CC can read the site....

Spanish is the official language of Honduras, including Roatan. Purely English speaking news often gets lost in translation or twists things to coincide with the American ideal

June 28, 2009

Due to the current unstable political and security situation in Honduras, the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa recommends that American citizens defer all non-essential travel to Honduras until further notice.

June 28, 2009

Yes, and that's also posted on the links Falkcor sent under the Honduras section. It is highly unlikely that Carnival will make stops there while such a warning is in place. Unfortunatly the situation has been an on and off issue for quite some time now. When the ships are able to port there it's a gorgeous place to visit so I do hope they are able to resolve this!

i'm guessing they're waiting on a travel alert or warning from the us dept of state - neither of which have been issued currently:

alerts:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1766.html

warnings:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Mark you will see the warnings for Honduras if you click on the link for specific countries and then click on Honduras. It was issued today. :)

Wonder when they will let us know? Also wondering when we get refunded for excursions booked through the ship. I'm not being picky but I hate to go ahead and book another excursion at a different port before I know for sure that this one is canceled.

Mark you will see the warnings for Honduras if you click on the link for specific countries and then click on Honduras. It was issued today. :)

whoops ;)

i didn't click through to the specific country section - just checked the alerts and warnings main pages - like warnings here:

06-29-honduras.jpg

seriously, methinks the dept of state needs to update their web site more quickly. that's seriously misleading :D

Archived