Fascination 12/13- course change

JRcruise

Was on the Fascination last week and we had to make a change in course. We went to Nassua instead of Cozumel because they had to take a sick passenger of the ship and return to Key West to meet a CG ship. We were pretty upset because I've been to Nassau numerous times and took this ship solely to see Cozumel, not to mention the fact that the Western Carib. cruise was more expensive then the Bahamas cruise. Anyway, the person that was taken off is fine, so everyone was happy to hear that, but any chance we can get something from Carnival if we write a letter?

Thanks,

Jason

I was wondering why the Fascination was docked in the Bahamas since it should have been on the 4 day cruise to the Western side. I am booked on that same cruise for January and knew where the ship should have been at that point in time. I was on the Valor Thursday.

These are the kinds of questions I don't understand. They had to turn back and go to Key West because of a sick passenger and because of that there was not enough time to go to Cozumel and back. Why do you feel you should get something from Carnival? If Carnival 'could of cared less' as you say, they would of kept the sick passenger on board and gone on to Cozumel to keep the other passengers happy. How would RCL have handled it differently....just curious about that comment?

We were a group of 4 couples also on the Fascination last week, also extremely disappointed. What happened to CG helicopters evacuating sick passengers? This has happened on nearly every other cruise we've been on. It seems with these mega ships carrying thousands of passengers, the odds are good that someone will get seriously ill during a cruise. If they turned the ship around each time, no one would ever get to the right ports.

The ironic thing was that when we turned around, we headed right into the arctic front with terrible weather - high seas and winds and cold temps. Several in our group became extremely seasick and had to spend more than a day in bed.

I can sympathize with the sick passenger and family, and I understand the captain had to make a quick decision. But I also think in all fairness, Carnival should offer a credit for a future Western Caribbean cruise. This was definitely NOT the cruise anyone signed on for, and this is NOT hurricane season.

We were a group of 4 couples also on the Fascination last week, also extremely disappointed. What happened to CG helicopters evacuating sick passengers? This has happened on nearly every other cruise we've been on. It seems with these mega ships carrying thousands of passengers, the odds are good that someone will get seriously ill during a cruise. If they turned the ship around each time, no one would ever get to the right ports.

The ironic thing was that when we turned around, we headed right into the arctic front with terrible weather - high seas and winds and cold temps. Several in our group became extremely seasick and had to spend more than a day in bed.

I can sympathize with the sick passenger and family, and I understand the captain had to make a quick decision. But I also think in all fairness, Carnival should offer a credit for a future Western Caribbean cruise. This was definitely NOT the cruise anyone signed on for, and this is NOT hurricane season.

Makes no difference if it is hurricane season or not. Your logic does not work here. A free cruise? Give me a break. The cruise line has the right to change the itinerary for any reason. That is clearly spelled out in your documents and cruise brochures. If going to one particular port meant so much to you then you should have flown there.

Maybe if the shoe had been on the other foot and YOU were the one that needed the emergency attention you might feel different.

Maybe if the shoe had been on the other foot and YOU were the one that needed the emergency attention you might feel different.

...or your spouse or child. How insensitive that your destination plans were changed for someones health. And for that someone else owes you something?

Go and contact Carnival. They owe you nothing, as you paid for passage on their ship, and as others said, they have the right to change ports and even ships on you.....

If they give you something, take it as a bonus. They may not, and accept that. (HINT...chances are, you'll get a better response if you write a nice letter, explaining how you were disappointed)

Meanwhile, use this all as an excuse to book another cruise!

being the INsensitive person i am, I would be as pi$$ed as JR and most others were.....FLAHAGAN is righto.....with so many passengers on each cruise, youre almost guaranteed to have emergencies on each and every cruise......changing the ports for ONE person at the inconvenience of 2500 other people is just crazy talk......lots of us book cruises solely for the ports of call......so if we end up going to different ports, there better be some dammm good reasons why:).......some sort of pay back is well in order.....its like payin for a lexus, but receiving a cavalier.........true enough, Carnival can change the port schedule however they want and be within their rights.......but still seems pretty shady that 2500 passengers have to suffer all because they have to tend to the needs of ONE passenger whos in a pickle......my sympathy lies with those people getting stuck with Nassau....Nassau aint no Cozumel!.....and YES id say the same even if it was ME in the pickle....:)

Nothing insensitive about that, its not like anyone didn't think the person was in need of medical care. However, it was the second night of the ship Carnival had two more days to work out the logistics with the port(s) in Cozumel, there is no excuse for there immediate decision to take us to Nassau. Futhermore, while I understand Carnival has the right to alter the cruise, they should still do everything in their power to keep their customers happy. During Hurricane Francis I was on the Majesty of the Seas and I was very impressed with the way RCL handled the customers, giving us the choice to stay on for 3-4 days extra at no charge, or disembark in Miami a day early and receive $200 per stateroom. In this case RCL was no in charge of the weather, yet they went out of their way to make sure their customer base was happy. I'm a Platinum member on RCL and only took Carnival to give their line a try, and was not happy.

As for the remak about not paying for the port, I couldn't disagree with that statement more. If that comment had any validity then why not just sail around in the open waters for 4 day? Or how come the western carib. cruises are more expensive then the Bahamas or southern carib. cruises? I paid more for this cruise because of the ports it stopped in!

If I were on a commerical airline flight from Miami to LA and a sick passenger forced us to make an unscheduled landing in Dallas, you better believe the airline would accomodate passengers to get them to LA.

Just as an FYI. I was on the Fantasy when Francis struck. Our three night cruise on the Fantasy turned into a five night cruise. Carnival gave each passenger a $100.00 on board credit plus 50% off of a future cruise. We had to dock in Miami and Carnival gave everyone the choice to stay on the ship two extra nights at no charge for the ones that wanted to see Miami. I would call that pretty even to what RCI did. This on the other hand was not the cruise lines doing either. If you feel that Carnival did not give you a fair shake then I suggest that you move back to RCI.

If I were on a commerical airline flight from Miami to LA and a sick passenger forced us to make an unscheduled landing in Dallas, you better believe the airline would accomodate passengers to get them to LA.

On a plane, your destination, in this case, is LA.

On a ship, your destination is usually exactly where you started from.

On a plane, your destination, in this case, is LA.

On a ship, your destination is usually exactly where you started from.

How do you figure that??? Your destination is the next port. I will explain my reasoning.

I was on the Destiny this past August.We/i Boarded and then left San Juan, to St.Thomas,then off to Barbados.At Barbados many passengers got off and new passengers got on.We then headed to Dominica,then to Aruba again where new passengers got on and many got off.We sailed to San Juan where many new passengers got on and many got off.

So in this case,why would the destination be the port where the ship started from.Actually since this ship takes passengers on at 3 ports,which is the starting point of the whole journey is a circle idea?

As far as your plane theory. Which is the destination.For example, Delta Song flight 2084 from CT to FL is also flight 2084 from FL to CT.

I too would be mad and I hate to say it but you take your chances on a ship if you get sick.I think they should continue to sail to the next port and if you die so be it. Many years ago I was on a weeks charter to the Mexican jungle.I got very sick and had to stay almost half dead in a hotel for 4 days until the charter flight flew back to the states.They did not cancel the charter and fly me back home???There was no way to get me to medical help. After I got home.2 days later from my sickness I had a heart attack at age 27. Whatever I had messed with my electrical system and they needed to zap it back into sync.

Steve

Steveaaaa, Your final destination is what is on your contract. In the case of a cruise it is most often also the point of origin. Most cruises do not pick up passengers at various ports although some do and in that case the cruise line is obligated to get you to that port. I know that Carnival fascination does not embark or disembark people at Cozumel so in this case your final destination is Miami.

As for your last paragraph, if I am on a cruise and you are the one who needs urgent medical care that the ship can not provide, I will show the captian your comments and we can continue on our merry way, If it is someone else, I will help speed the ship up so that they can get to the nearest port to get that person what is needed and the rest of us on the ship may be inconvenienced but it is still a cruise and I will accept that inconvenience if it saves someones life.

Steveaaaa, Your final destination is what is on your contract.

As for your last paragraph, if I am on a cruise and you are the one who needs urgent medical care that the ship can not provide, I will show the captian your comments and we can continue on our merry way,.

I looked at my contract and it does show my final destination as the same port I got on, but it also shows my getting there via several other stops.These other stops are what they offered and I agreed to,thus the contract. I know they allowed to make changes but for a medical reason? That seems wrong.Would they turn a transatlantic cruise back several days into it and then go to Nassua for the duration?

As far as the last part. Yes,sail on.I am insensitive but I also think it should go both ways and I agree to that point, so Sail on!

I knew the risks when I boarded. Yes it is unfortunate but that is the way it works. It seems that the last few cruises there has been an emergency,on everyone I have been on.With 3500 people plus crew it is an accident waiting to happen.A few weeks ago a crew member broke his back being hit by a fork lift,someone is missing overboard,someone has a heart attack.Does it ever end?

I would not have put up with Nassau.I would have used the guarantee.

I was not on the ship so I do not know all the details.I would like to know though.

Steve

Yes, I forgot about Carnivals guarantee, anyone not happy could have gotten off in Nassau and Carnival would have had to reimbursed a portion of their cruise so in this case they really have nothing to complain about. As for being in the middle of the ocean, I am sure that they would go to the nearest port, just like a plane goes to the nearest airport, if that means turning around, they would do it, just as the airlines do, and if people are upset about being late to their final destination, tough.

I looked at my contract and it does show my final destination as the same port I got on, but it also shows my getting there via several other stops.These other stops are what they offered and I agreed to,thus the contract. I know they allowed to make changes but for a medical reason? That seems wrong.

Steve

Maybe I am not reading this right-- but according to you a Medical emergency is not a good enough reason to head to a closer port?? I hope that you never, ever need something like that while on vacation.

Maybe I am not reading this right-- but according yto you a Medical emergency is not a good enough reason to head to a closer port?? I hope that you never, ever need something like that while on vacation.

You are reading it right. An I did have a medical emergency as I wrote in a prior posting but I have copied and pasted below...

Many years ago I was on a weeks charter to the Mexican jungle.I got very sick and had to stay almost half dead in a hotel for 4 days until the charter flight flew back to the states.They did not cancel the charter and fly me back home???There was no way to get me to medical help. After I got home.2 days later from my sickness I had a heart attack at age 27. Whatever I had messed with my electrical system and they needed to zap it back into sync.

I even tried to rent a plane as I have a license to fly.All I wanted was to get to the USA instead of staying in an area only accessable by small aircraft.I figured I would get a twin engine with full instrumentation and once I had my altitude I would put it on auto pilot all the way to Texas. I was deemed unfit to pilot for fear that I could pass out.

So since I was on the other side of the coin here, I maintain my same opinion. I am sorry you got sick but there is a doctor on board and you knew the risk!!If you go shark diving and you get bit,did you not know the risk's?

I also do not know what the emergency was so I cannot fully comment on it. Was it a pre-existing condition or a new condition.Was it someone 8 months pregnant who should not have been on the ship or a minor who got alcohol poisioning from being served. Every situation is different and the captain makes the final call on the ship,so regardless of what any of us say it is still the captains call.

Steve

I dont think the ship will make a turn around just coz someone is feeling ill. I do believe that ifs its a heart attack/stroke- these are what is the reasons a ship turns around. Someone who gets cut-- will get waited on by the ships doctor. a person is not allowed to cruise at 8 months pregnant- ccording to the cruiselines web pages but I am understanding that some rules that are made can be broken under certain circumstances.

This reminds me of the thread on NCL from Mar 2002. Crewmember (female) fell off the back of the Norway at night sometime around 9:30-10:30ish. Was reported missing by another crewmember and they turned the ship around to search for her. The found her the next day around noon time still treading water. One of the posters on CC told a woman that was trying to get a petition going for some "free" stuff because they were very late or missed a port.

oh mi Liv: we Do live in a sad world dont we?

Serene I kid you not. According to one of the NCL posters who was on this cruise the woman had set up a "table" for said petition. And yes, pathetic world sometimes.

Archived