Solo 40+ Adult, No Kids, Which Park in Orlando?

BluesCruise

I'll be on the Carnival Pride 11/29/09 sailing out of Baltimore. We will be in Port Canaveral from 7am to 7pm on Wednesday, Dec. 2nd. I'm thinking to take one of the cruise line's all day tours to a park in Orlando, but I'm not sure which one. I went to WDW once, as a kid, when it first opened, around 1972. I like amusement rides, movies, and animals, but not all the cutesy kid stuff. I don't know if it will be warm enough for water rides. Offhand, I'm considering the parks in this order:

1. Hollywood Studios

2. SeaWorld

3. Animal Kingdom

4. Magic Kingdom

5. Epcot

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with 51324, that is my favorite order. The only problem with Epcot is the hours of the World Showcase which is one of my favorite things there they open fairly late in the morning and you will have to leave before dinner. I do love Hollywood Studios.

Coming from an annual passholder to both Disney and Universal, I would have to agree with Epcot from your choices. Epcot doesn't really focus so much on the little kids. This is where you will find the adult rides, not the kiddie ones. The world showcase has many restaurants and stores from different countries around the world so you can try different foods and drinks:D.

Is "Hollywood Studios" Disney/MGM Studios or Universal Studios?

I think that Universal Studios is the best Orlando park for adults who love movies, but don't care for MGM at all, as it focuses more on family films. Epcot tends to have the shortest lines, so you can see more if you are time limited. The good thing is that you are going when kids are in school, which is the best time for shorter lines anyway.

The world showcase has many restaurants and stores from different countries around the world so you can try different foods and drinks:D.

None of that interests me. To me, Epcot sounds "educational", not fun.

Could you provide a little detail? What's so great about Epcot?

EPCOT is my personal favorite. There is always so much to do. In future world there is the space ball...the two concourses with all sorts of interesting things to visit including body wars, and home of the future. Lots of hands on activities, and virtual reality shows. Then there is The Land which houses my favorite Soaring, a wonderful ride that takes you all over California, with the smells, sounds and the sensation of being in a glider...fantastic. Many more shows in that privillian...then the Seas, underwater show and ride finding Nemo...not only for children, quite educational, Fast Track is fantastic, and many, many other things. Then there is the World Showcase that opens at 11:00 every day, and closes with one of the best lazier and fireworks shows I have ever seen taking place at nine or nine thirty at night...there are all sorts of country show cases to visit, different restaurants from around the world to sample and lot's of side shows and music to sample...you can't go wrong.

There is so much to do at EPCOT that it would take a few days to see everything that is offered. Along with being a fun park it is also stocked with information and is defiantly a learning experience for people of all ages (it even shows you how to do your own hydroponics). There is a lot more to EPCOT than just rides!

Other than Test Track at Epcot, anyone going to a theme park in Florida looking for thrill rides is going to be disappointed. Especially if you've been to Cedar Point or similar parks.

It's the MGM one. Carnival only offers the Disney brand theme parks and Sea World as Orlando excursions from Port Canaveral.

Well, then I wouldn't bother with MGM. I haven't been there for a few years, but the only thing that I remember is the Tower of Terror is a great amusement ride, there is a train that takes you in to see old sets/props/costumes, and there are some shows for families.

You might actually enjoy Magic Kingdom for nostalgias sake. They have a few thrill rides, at least. If you aren't interested in an educational day at all, then skip Epcot. It is like a world of ride-through science museums. I enjoy Sea World, and I think they have a new roller coaster so you might enjoy that. I haven't been to Animal Kingdom yet.

I think the above posters have pretty much covered my reasons for suggesting Epcot in your particular situation; the other parks are more family/couples oriented. Although I love the Tower of Terror at Disney/MGM and Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion in the MK, they're much more fun if you're with someone--Hillary Clinton took her Secret Service detail on the Tower of Terror.

If there's a way to do Universal, do THAT one. There is easy transportation from any hotel and will cost a lot less than the ship's planned excursion. You will enjoy that one and find enough to do for a whole day. Call your hotel and ask what they cahrge for a shuttle there. I think you'll be surprised in the savings.

As far as WDW, everyone's tastes are different. Get a WDW book and research what each park offers. We enjoyed Animal Kingdom when it opened, as we had done all the others several times before. My DH likes Epcot, as he is interested in "education" along with theme park type activites. You get the most in that park.

Tough to tell the OP which one is best for her. They are all different and it's ideal to hit them all when possible. Persoanlly I'd have trouble spending ALL DAY at any one. We like to bounce around.

If there's a way to do Universal, do THAT one. There is easy transportation from any hotel and will cost a lot less than the ship's planned excursion. You will enjoy that one and find enough to do for a whole day. Call your hotel and ask what they cahrge for a shuttle there. I think you'll be surprised in the savings.

Universal is not one of the excursions offered. I'm not staying at a hotel. Port Canaveral is just a 12-hour cruise stop, and I'm trying to make the most of the day. I haven't been to Orlando since my childhood. I thought I would try to take in one of the parks that are offered, along with transportation, as an excursion.

Based on what you are looking for, I'd go with Animal Kingdom. It's a good mix of thrill rides (Expedition: Everest, Dinosaur), shows (Finding Nemo and Festival of the Lion King are more traditional production shows- really well done, and Flights of Wonder is a unique bird show) and animals (don't miss the Safari- try it first thing for the most animal activity- and the trails in Africa and Asia). Plus, it closes early, so you wouldn't be missing anything by leaving before dinner. The afternoon parade is worth it if you can catch it before heading back to the ship.

I like Epcot for the shopping, you can pick up things from many different "lands" in one stop. I've seen the 360 China show probably 10 times and still love it. The shows outside each land are good too and the food but like the others said, that part doesn't open until later - I thought 10 but someone else posted 11. Only went to AK once and that will be our next park when we go back up, saw only half of it. The Lion King was fabulous as was the Safari. Your best bet would be to check out www.waltdisneyworld dot com to get the details on each park. Also the unofficial guide to WDW, I don't recall the web site but I'm sure somebody else can provide it.

Archived