Cruising the Tasman sea

Vincenta

Booked for Jan.2010 on the Nautica visiting New Zealand and Australia and am a little concerned about a rough crossing over to Tasmania as the Nautica is a much smaller ship than some of the other lines we have sailed. Just wondered whether anyone has any experience and how rough was it. :)

We crossed the Tasman Sea on Jan 30 2006 onboard the RSSC Voyager and it was very calm, maybe a 3-5 ft. chop at the worst point. We had heard such horror stories about how rough it could be and had been worried too, but we got lucky. You just never know.

Debbie

Each time you cruise you will have a different experience. I would prepare for it to be rough but you might luck out and it won't be as rough as you expect. If you get sea sick then brings some remedies with you just in case you have rough seas. On our sailng it was in between.

Keith

On Crystal, it was quite rough. Not to scare you, but the ship's captain's I've asked have all pretty much said that the Tasman was the second roughest area in the world after Drake's Passage in South America. You could luck out and have smooth seas, but be prepared for a rough day.

It'a all the luck of the draw. When we sailed it aboard the Regal princess, there was only one bad night and the rest of the time it was fairly calm.

As previously, stated, be prepared for bad weather and enjoyit if it isn't!

Booked for Jan.2010 on the Nautica visiting New Zealand and Australia and am a little concerned about a rough crossing over to Tasmania as the Nautica is a much smaller ship than some of the other lines we have sailed. Just wondered whether anyone has any experience and how rough was it. :)

My lipstick rolled of the table and went under the bed. We could hear the wind and you walk like you were drunk.

I met a lady who had been on many world cruises. She always told me when to expect the rough sea and I would take my seasick pill. Before we got to Italy, she told me to expect rough sea atfer Spain. I said to myself I got my sea legs I do not need pill. That was a mistake. I was sick sick.

Happy Crusing.

Marie

We were on the Nautica from Auckland to Sydney on the Inaugural cruise. It is a beautiful ship, and at its size, rides the seas quite well.

However, we had a marvelous crossing of the Tasman sea, after leaving Milford Sound and before arriving in Hobart, the sea had just the slightest chop. Now I know many others will tell you tales of how rough the sea was and what an experience they had. However, each and every crossing of any sea will never be the same, and you should never ask "what should I expect?" - and only "you-know-who" can answer that! :rolleyes:

Archived