Coffee on RCCL ships

RCCL's coffee is a whole lot better than Princess's coffee. The RCCL free coffee is better than the "fresh brewed" (i.e. coffee you pay for) on Princess. I'm a 22 year Navy veteran & even Navy coffee is better than Princess. I can drink RCCL's coffee, but Princess, not too much.

RCCL's coffee is a whole lot better than Princess's coffee. The RCCL free coffee is better than the "fresh brewed" (i.e. coffee you pay for) on Princess. I'm a 22 year Navy veteran & even Navy coffee is better than Princess. I can drink RCCL's coffee, but Princess, not too much.

You give me a bit of hope here!

We were in a JS on Mariner a few weeks ago. They have a pot in the room where you can brew your own tea. I brought along some instant Folger's packets planning to brew my own coffee. Don't like it but I thought it would work in a pinch. When the room steward noticed it, she brought up a coffee pot along with Seattle's Best coffee everyday. From now on I'll bring better coffee with me and ask for the coffee pot. I hate dragging around looking for coffee when I first wake up and this was a quick way to get coffee first thing in the AM.

After the horror of Disney Cruise Lines coffee, the coffee on RCCL actually tasted pretty good. It wasn't like home, but at least I could swallow it.

We just got off of Voyager, and we had a French press pot with a hot plate in the cabin. Not sure if that is just in certain cabins, but I guess they must be available. They leave a bag of the Seattle's best each time they clean the cabin, so I guess it would be better to bring your own coffee from home.

Can someone comment about RCCL's coffee quality? I am very picky about coffee and much prefer the stronger ones. With the past 4 Princess cruises, I could not stand their free coffee in the dining room or the room service and always had to purchase Cappuccino or Latte from the Espresso bar. The ones from the Espresso bar were average to good. We will be sailing on Brilliance next summer. I am seriously thinking about bringing my own coffee :-) What do you think?

The coffee on RCI and Celebrity is un-drinkable...it's something called Seattle's Best, and tastes like Starbucks to me. VERY strong, no matter how much milk you put in. Nasty stuff. I switch to tea for cruises.

If you brought your own coffee....wouldn't it get cold during the cruise? How would you make coffee on your own? Coffee makers are definitely now allowed in the cabins (nor are irons).

Virginia

The coffee on RCI and Celebrity is un-drinkable...it's something called Seattle's Best, and tastes like Starbucks to me. VERY strong, no matter how much milk you put in. Nasty stuff. I switch to tea for cruises.

If you brought your own coffee....wouldn't it get cold during the cruise? How would you make coffee on your own? Coffee makers are definitely now allowed in the cabins (nor are irons).

Virginia

Believe me--I am not stupid and won't bring a coffee maker that requires electricity!! :p I DO NOT want to cause a fire!!

I will use this--

http://www.chefcentral.com/product1.aspx?Product_ID=5127

Have you tried using a French Press? It works like a charm. Absolutely no electricity needed.

i would not miss coffee on my balcony for anything, even bad coffee:) i had to put a lot of creamer in it, but i still enjoyed those early morning coffees. i think it was the atmosphere more so then the taste:)

If you want to check how good a ship's free coffee is - just check the cost of a regular cup of coffee at their "coffee bar" - the lower the cost the more likely the ship's coffee is good – the higher the price – then their “free” coffee is usually bad --- a simple matter of the law of supply & demand!

Tom

Another vote for the French Press! Cruise coffee is blechh, we have not had good coffee on a cruise since we sailed on the Song of Norway in 89.

Brewing your own in your cabin using a french press is easy and a great way to start the day with some Good coffee. Good idea about keeping a carafe and getting water at the promonade.

We take along sandwich size baggies to dispose of the grounds in and a tiny bit of dishwash soap to keep the pot clean.

You can easily find a good french press at Target for less than $20, worth every cent.

Bev

You didn't say what ship you were going on but in May aboard Brilliance we were in a D1 cabin and had heard an electric pot for hot water was provided. I went to Starbucks and bought their little individual packets and made my own coffe every morning. DH is a tea drinker and tea was provided and replenished. Worked great for us.

Had a FOV on Grandeur in November and a french press was provided with packets of Seattle's Best and tea.

Both times, creamer and sugar were also provided and replenished.

Must depend on the ship and cabin category??!

I love getting room service in the morning as I must have my coffee.

I know I am on a cruise when I have to fill out the Room Service

Breakfast card.

However, on my last cruise on the navigator in December - I had a

rude awakening!!! The coffee tasted like coffee flavored dishwater!!!

It was the worse.... I thought that maybe I got decaf by mistake and

I called Room Service. They told me it was Regular and brought me

another carafe. This too was awful. If they are serving Seattle's Best

it is Seattle's worst. I bought this at an airport once and I swore I

would never again. It would sooner have tea. Not much they can do

with hot water and a tea bag!!

The cruise costs us all good money and its a shame that we cannot get

a good coffee. At Cafe Promenade I got the coffee when I picked up

a piece of cake. The sweetness of the cake killed the awful flavor of

the coffee. This coffee is not the first and only hot drink you want in

the morning.

I like Starbucks and I used to drink it daily when it was near a job I had. I love Colombian. However all the advice I have seen on prior posts is a

no-can-do for me. I cannot see taking a coffee press. I have enough

to schlep!!! I may however take my small electrical water boiler (on a

cord) and pick up some hot chocolate at Cafe Promenade if I experience the coffee from hell again or should I say "flavored dishwater."

I am a big coffee drinker and like it strong. The coffee is not bad, but it is very hard to find half and half in the Windjammer. They generally use the nondairy creamer, although a couple of times they were convinced to put out a pitcher of the real stuff. This time I will bring some of the ultra-pasteurized half and half.

Archived