RC pricing in the UK

We pay in Sterling so are affected by exchange rate for a start.

Also I think it depends on cruise.

I have paid $700 each including gratuities for E1 balcony on Mariner 11th October, so draw your inferences from that.

I don;t know how that would compare.

I think RCI set their exchange rate only 2 or 3 times a year, so sometimes Uk cruisers will pay more, and sometimes less, there was a lot of discussion recently about UK cruisers prepaying tips and prebooking excursions, as with the current exchange rate it was a hugh saving over the normal prices

Hi

Just priced your cruise on the RCI UK website for 2 adults incl gratuties is:-

£990.60

£1 to $1.562

Thats $1547 for 2 adults, E1 Balcony including tips.

Americans get it cheaper!

We pay in Sterling so are affected by exchange rate for a start.

Also I think it depends on cruise.

I have paid $700 each including gratuities for E1 balcony on Mariner 11th October, so draw your inferences from that.

I don;t know how that would compare.

Hi

Just priced your cruise on the RCI UK website for 2 adults incl gratuties is:-

£990.60

£1 to $1.562

Thats $1547 for 2 adults, E1 Balcony including tips.

Americans get it cheaper!

No, no Kirsty, my apologies, you misunderstand.

I bought in sterling and it equated to $700 per person.

Paid about £450 each when I booked.

hmmm, I wouldn't mind betting that we in the UK pay significantly more - but I could be wrong.

Just to give you an idea, I just went on to the RCI UK Website and priced up a cruise for myself and my two teenage children for next year. It would be going for 14 nights on 14 August from Southampton to the Italian Med, with all three of us in an E1 grade cabin on Deck 6.

The cost (inc gratuities) .... £5500!!:eek: Not sure what that is in dollars, but I think that's expensive and sadly I won't be booking anytime soon.

Interestingly, there's a similar cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse next summer (14-night Spanish Med) where we could have a higher grade cabin (concierge class) for just over £5000 (inc gratuities).

I know which I would rather choose, but I think my kids would prefer RCI!

Have been looking at a 5 night sailing out of Copenhagen on Vision of the seas for 10th Sept ..... price £292 pp for an Inside cabin! cruise only.....with flights from Manchester it is £473 pp.

The UK cruiser suffers from Lost deposits and now having to pay extra for changes with RCI ... and Higher deposits... which the USA cruisers do not plus they get price drops as well.

We chose to prepay tips..at least you know its covered and can if you want add to it.

At least us uk cruisers get the thrill of flying off to Florida to join a cruise round the Caribbean.

It would be horrible if we lived in Florida and could just get on and off cruise ships whenever we wanted at a quarter of the pri- NO wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

davy!!!

Sorry but I think its like most things are cheaper in America than in the UK. maybe its due to more demand, I wonder how the uk price compares to the Euro price.

Never thought of that.

Sorry but I think its like most things are cheaper in America than in the UK. maybe its due to more demand, I wonder how the uk price compares to the Euro price.

Blimey, a voice in the wilderness, speaking reason!

Rates between RCI US and UK sites don't actually differ by that much. Just did a little comparison on 5 cruises departing August 2010 and those in the Caribbean have a comparative exchange rate of between $1.52 - $1.54 to £1.00 . Those in Europe have a little more favourable exchange rate (for the UK) of between $1.56 - $1.61 to £1.00 (the 14 night Med cruise on IoS out of Southampton having the best UK rate). The official exchange rate currently stands at approx. $1.60 to £1.00 .

So, the better the exchange rate the £ gets against the $ then the less favourable the comparison becomes for UK prices. However, the lowest exchange rate is only about 4.7% worse than the current official exchange rate and, as we can get a 5% discount for booking online, then perhaps we aren't as badly off as we fear. But, in the UK we do have to pay a $240pp non refundable deposit and after the first alteration/price drop we pay $56pp (or more) admin fee for each further ammendment!!! So, we on this side of the pond do get rather irritated that you on that side can book and hold the best cabins on any number of cruises at a whim then cancel at 90 days out without penalty!!! It makes for a very uneven playing field.

Ken

HI We have just booked a B2B Med cruise for next year with my brother from UK and when we did a comparison they were better booking it in the UK as they got offers that when I called here in US we were not getting.

Such as 5% online reduction, also for my brother owner suite they got a total of $600 dollars on board credit for the 2 cruises and for our Grand suite we got total of $500 dollars for the 2 cruises This offer was on for a short time in the UK only.

So I think it pays sometime to check.

I think one of the main differences in prices between US and UK is the exorbitant flight costs as anyone flying regularly between UK and US will confirm.

Mgt

Actually, I've found return airfare to the States lately to be a bargain. I'm going to America in November for Thankgiving and it is significantly cheaper to fly from the UK to US than to have family/friends buy tickets and fly from the US to the UK. We also have the benefits of cheap charters to the US on Monarch, Thomas Cook, Globespan, etc.

As far as the cruises, I think it's generally the same pricing but it does pay to do your research. We just booked our Med honeymoon cruise for October in the US as the deals/incentives they were offering were better in America.

Rates between RCI US and UK sites don't actually differ by that much. Just did a little comparison on 5 cruises departing August 2010 and those in the Caribbean have a comparative exchange rate of between $1.52 - $1.54 to £1.00 . Those in Europe have a little more favourable exchange rate (for the UK) of between $1.56 - $1.61 to £1.00 (the 14 night Med cruise on IoS out of Southampton having the best UK rate). The official exchange rate currently stands at approx. $1.60 to £1.00 .

So, the better the exchange rate the £ gets against the $ then the less favourable the comparison becomes for UK prices. However, the lowest exchange rate is only about 4.7% worse than the current official exchange rate and, as we can get a 5% discount for booking online, then perhaps we aren't as badly off as we fear. But, in the UK we do have to pay a $240pp non refundable deposit and after the first alteration/price drop we pay $56pp (or more) admin fee for each further ammendment!!! So, we on this side of the pond do get rather irritated that you on that side can book and hold the best cabins on any number of cruises at a whim then cancel at 90 days out without penalty!!! It makes for a very uneven playing field.

Ken

This is what upsets me. A lot of cabins/cruises are unavailable because USA bookers seem to hold cabins 'in case they may want them'. If we book a cabin we pay a deposit. If we coose not to go we lose that deposit.

Surely that is what deposit means.

Swings and roundabouts initially.

I always compare prices between UK & US when I'm looking to book a cruise. Sometimes the UK is cheaper and sometimes the US site is cheaper.

However, the UK does come off worse in the long run. In the UK we loose our deposits if we cancel.

And if that isn't bad enough, the latest offerings from RCI UK are shocking...

Now, if we want to take advantage of a price drop it will cost us £35 (approx $56) per person. We are also charged £35 per person to switch cabins and switching itinerary or ship will cost us a hefty £75 (approx $120) per person :eek:

I'm from Canada, but same situation. I always compare their CAD prices to USD and then see which one is cheaper based on the exchange rate. A couple of times we have booked in USD because it WAS cheaper. Only thing is you have to watch is the exchange rate before final payment so you don't get screwed by that. For us it worked out.

Now, if we want to take advantage of a price drop it will cost us £35 (approx $56) per person. We are also charged £35 per person to switch cabins and switching itinerary or ship will cost us a hefty £75 (approx $120) per person :eek:

First change is free.....so that includes swapping rooms, or price drops or name changes. £35pp for any subsequent changes

Amazing that the UK has to put up with having to pay to change but the USA do not! .... double standards! .... also why do the USA cruisers get to block the best rooms without paying a deposit for it and then can cancel at anytime upto 90 days with no loss!! .... time the cruise industry put everyone on a level playing field.

Amazing that the UK has to put up with having to pay to change but the USA do not! .... double standards! .... also why do the USA cruisers get to block the best rooms without paying a deposit for it and then can cancel at anytime upto 90 days with no loss!! .... time the cruise industry put everyone on a level playing field.

It is perfectly reasonable for RCCL to require a deposit and impose penalties for cancellation/changes.

What is amazing is the flexibility allowed to US custromers - if that is true - no deposit, price reductions etc. An encouragement to do what they like. Somebody has to pay for this freedom. If not US customers, who?

But are you guys saying we can choose to book via th UK or US sites? I ask this because airlines don't allow this.

But are you guys saying we can choose to book via th UK or US sites? I ask this because airlines don't allow this.

You cannot book through RCCL US but you can use a US TA :D I do & will continue to do so in the future since they brought in the extra charges etc into the UK T&Cs.

I have only one cruise booked with RCCL UK, I would have cancelled it except I have flights with it but my other 3 current bookings are with my US TA :D

Carhirer ..... it is reasonable for RCI and other cruise companies to require a deposit, i may be wrong on the paying of a deposit for USA customers but i know that should they cancel having held the Best cabins for anytime upto 90 days out that they do not lose their deposit and they also get price drops that UK cruisers do not get!

Cancel in the UK at a given time and you lose your deposit which has been increased by RCI! .... how can it be fair ? for a person in the USA to hold a cabin for say 12 months and 90 days before the cruise decide they no longer want to go ?? ...:confused: having also been oofered price drops.

Archived