Formal nights

abb4k

You won't find the "when" posted there. The "how many" will be in your cruise documents. In general, you can figure 2 formal nights on a 7-night cruise; 3 on a 10-night cruise; and 4 on a 14-night.

If it's really important to you to know when the formal nights are scheduled (always subject to change), post the dates, ship name, itinerary for your cruise. Someone else who has taken it may reply based on their experience.

Generally formal nights are either sea days, or a day in which you leave a the port early (i.e., 3 pm instead of 5 pm)

Another "rule of thumb" is 2 formal nights on 7 day cruises, 3 on 10 day. Since that is all I have been on, it is all I can give a "rule of thumb."

In my (limited) experience, the formal nights on a 7-day cruise are on nights #2 and #6.

We are taking our first 10-day'er... Does anybody know which nights are formal? Is it a set pattern, or does it depend on the ports?

In my (limited) experience, the formal nights on a 7-day cruise are on nights #2 and #6. We are taking our first 10-day'er... Does anybody know which nights are formal? Is it a set pattern, or does it depend on the ports?

It depends on the ports. And generally, you will NOT have a formal night the last night of your voyage. Sea days are often your formal nights.

Just got back from AK, NB on Ryndam. Formal nights were on 2nd and 5th night. Last night was reserved for that special routine put on by the dining staff. BTW, our formal nights were not that formal - DH and I were overdressed in Tux and long formal. In fact, really only saw coat and tie on formal nights and not any other nights. Most men wore polo shirts or open collar shirts for dinner. Now, we were in open seating and don't know if upstairs, those with assigned times dressed differently.

BTW, our formal nights were not that formal - DH and I were overdressed in Tux and long formal.

No, you weren't "overdressed". You were wearing formal wear on formal night. Others were underdressed.

Just got back from AK, NB on Ryndam. Formal nights were on 2nd and 5th night. Last night was reserved for that special routine put on by the dining staff. BTW, our formal nights were not that formal - DH and I were overdressed in Tux and long formal. In fact, really only saw coat and tie on formal nights and not any other nights. Most men wore polo shirts or open collar shirts for dinner. Now, we were in open seating and don't know if upstairs, those with assigned times dressed differently.

We did 3 Alaskan cruises on the Ryndam and DH always wore his tuxedo and I wore either a long gown or s long skirt and fancy tops.

We didn't care what the others wore. Formal to us means -- formal.

Hijacking this thread with a similar question. . .10 day holiday sunfarer cruise on Zuiderdam December 23-Jan 2. Christmas eve is a early port day (leave HMC at 3:00) Christmas day is an at sea day. December 28th is a sea day, as are New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. My guess for formal nights would be Christmas Eve, Dec 28th and New Year's Eve. Anyone know for sure?

Hijacking this thread with a similar question. . .10 day holiday sunfarer cruise on Zuiderdam December 23-Jan 2. Christmas eve is a early port day (leave HMC at 3:00) Christmas day is an at sea day. December 28th is a sea day, as are New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. My guess for formal nights would be Christmas Eve, Dec 28th and New Year's Eve. Anyone know for sure?

Those dates may be possible for formal nights.

But as we discovered on our Noordam cruise last February -- we had 2 sea days and really expected the first formal night to be on Valentine's Day -- it wasn't.

Hope yours works out better than ours did.

On our first cruise in 1988, we bought a Tuxedo for DH, it was cheaper than renting one in the old days for a 10 day cruise. On that cruise on the Rotterdam, even the toddlers had 'tuxes'. Now my DH wears a dark suit and I do what ever I packed -- long velvet skirt, etc. Any body should be able to 'dress up'. It is fun, that's all I can say.

Archived