Departing Heathrow - Info for Contact Lens Wearers

Hi,

I have a funny story about my recent flight from Heathrow. I always keep to the 3-1-1 Liquids Rule, but then pack an additional plastic bag with my contact lens supplies labeled "DECLARED -- Medical Necessities". I have done this numerous times and never had a problem until last week. (I do not wear glasses, only contacts). I had searched, but obviously not good enough, about carrying Solution aboard on my US-bound flight from Heathrow. Well, in case you were wondering, DO NOT try to carry a regular size bottle aboard, even if it is declared as a medical necessity. They asked me if I had a prescription or letter from my doctor. I showed them the prescription on my spare lenses, and explained that the solution accompanied the lenses. The security agent very seriously said to me, "Glasses are a medical necessity....contact lenses are vanity!"

I have laughed about this over and over, and thought other wearers would get a kick out of it, too!:rolleyes:

Hi,

I have a funny story about my recent flight from Heathrow. I always keep to the 3-1-1 Liquids Rule, but then pack an additional plastic bag with my contact lens supplies labeled "DECLARED -- Medical Necessities". I have done this numerous times and never had a problem until last week. (I do not wear glasses, only contacts). I had searched, but obviously not good enough, about carrying Solution aboard on my US-bound flight from Heathrow. Well, in case you were wondering, DO NOT try to carry a regular size bottle aboard, even if it is declared as a medical necessity. They asked me if I had a prescription or letter from my doctor. I showed them the prescription on my spare lenses, and explained that the solution accompanied the lenses. The security agent very seriously said to me, "Glasses are a medical necessity....contact lenses are vanity!"

I have laughed about this over and over, and thought other wearers would get a kick out of it, too!:rolleyes:

I find it a bit funny and also a bit rude. So what happened, were you able to take the Solution onboard?

Hi,

You actually picked EXACTLY the wrong container with which to try and board an aircraft. Philippine Airlines Flight 434 was the target of a terrorist attack where the explosive was carried on board in a bottle of contact lens solution. This is the airline incident which is the basis of all of the 3-1-1 100mL limits that prohibited you from bringing it on board.

In the future you're better off wearing glasses, or pack the bulk of your solution and put a small amount in a sub 100mL container. (100mL is approx 3.5 fl oz)

As for the comment, sorry, but I have to agree with the TSA agent, about the glasses comment.

In the future you're better off wearing glasses, or pack the bulk of your solution and put a small amount in a sub 100mL container. (100mL is approx 3.5 fl oz)

Bemusing (and perhaps a bit pathetic) story about BAA security and 100ml bottles.....

I have traveled with 3 identical 100ml bottles in my carry-on since the ban on larger containers. Since the liquids within them are also indistinguishable, I label the contents for my own convenience.

My wife, however, who only travels with the one 100ml bottle for her hair-spray, does not have the same differentiation needs. So she gets pulled up by the security guard on her bottle:

He: "What is in this?"

She: "Hair-spray"

He: "Why is it not labeled like your husband's?"

She: "Because I only have the one bottle and he has three"

He: "So how do I know it's really hairspray?"

Me: "Well how do you know mine really contain what I labeled them?"

I also felt like saying that I could have put something destructive in any of the three bottles and labeled them otherwise. But didn't feel like getting into a huge beef on the way to our cruise. :rolleyes:

You actually picked EXACTLY the wrong container with which to try and board an aircraft. Philippine Airlines Flight 434 was the target of a terrorist attack where the explosive was carried on board in a bottle of contact lens solution. This is the airline incident which is the basis of all of the 3-1-1 100mL limits that prohibited you from bringing it on board.

As for the comment, sorry, but I have to agree with the TSA agent, about the glasses comment.

I disagree with the comment made by the TSA agent. Vanity or not, it was not his place to throw a comment such as this out! If you are going to let the solution on, your going to let it on, if not, than explain why and let it go at that. TSA agents know they have the power to say and do just about anything they want. They know you are under a dead line to meet your flight, and that have the power to make you miss it. In the long run you may right, but in the short run your trip has now become the worst experience. I truly wonder how some of these agents received a job that is SO IMPORTANT and they treat it more as a power tip than anything else. I personally have never had a problem with TSA and I don't think vast majority are that way but, but I have seen enough act that way and step out of line with no repercussions that they should keep personal comments to themselves.

I disagree with the comment made by the TSA agent. Vanity or not, it was not his place to throw a comment such as this out! If you are going to let the solution on, your going to let it on, if not, than explain why and let it go at that. TSA agents know they have the power to say and do just about anything they want. They know you are under a dead line to meet your flight, and that have the power to make you miss it. In the long run you may right, but in the short run your trip has now become the worst experience. I truly wonder how some of these agents received a job that is SO IMPORTANT and they treat it more as a power tip than anything else. I personally have never had a problem with TSA and I don't think vast majority are that way but, but I have seen enough act that way and step out of line with no repercussions that they should keep personal comments to themselves.

I disagree. The security agent (and they weren't TSA, that's an American thing, they were british) was perfectly in his right to call out the mis-labeling of the contact solution as "DECLARED -- Medical Necessities", because they weren't necessities. Let's remember they were only labeled that in the hope that the OP could sneak it through security.

You know its dangerous to wear contacts on a flight ?

You do know you can buy a travel size bottle of solutions that you can take onboard ?

jj.......

Being a contact wearer, I understand that your eyes get very dry & require lots of drops inflight. But what makes you think they are dangerous?

Being a contact wearer, I understand that your eyes get very dry & require lots of drops inflight. But what makes you think they are dangerous?

My optician said due to the make up of the lenses they can dry up very quickly and really in long haul flights glasses should be the choice.

jj.....

I have also been told never to wear contact lenses on a long-haul flight - and mine are extended wear. They can literally become stuck to the eyes. I usually wear glasses and carry my contacts in a container with a small amount of solution in my hand luggage so I can put them in shortly before landing. I've never had any problem.

Moisturising eye drops are allowed they are only about 20mls. always carry a bottle with me and put it in the clear plastic bag with all the other bits never had a problem

I have an eye condition where my already abysmal vision can only be corrected by gas permeable (sometimes called hard) lenses over which I wear prescription glasses. The prescription glasses only work with the contacts under them. My only other vision correction option is corneal transplants. I would be livid if someone accused me of "vanity" for wearing lenses when I have no choice. I would love to have a choice! I would also be a hazard to my fellow passengers in the event of an emergency if I were not wearing my contacts. That said, I do only carry the small bottles of solution thru security, and I check a large bottle. If I had time and thought I could get anywhere by making a complaint against someone who made such a rude comment, I would, but my personal opinion is if you make a complaint against TSA or the foreign equivalent of TSA, they flag you & your flying life will always be a miserable experience. That's just my opinion & I have nothing to back that up - just like the security agent had nothing to back up his ridiculous comment that contact lenses are only worn for vanity! :D

You do know you can buy a travel size bottle of solutions that you can take onboard ?

Which you can also buy post-security at most airport newsstands. This whole thread is quite ridiculous, it's about a person who tried to break the rules and got caught.

Archived