Just Back from Danube on River Beatrice

editor@cruisecritic

Just back from my first-ever Danube cruise. Ship was Uniworld’s River Beatrice, a brand new (for Uniworld; it essentially bought a half-built newbuild that Vantage had been constructing, ripped out the insides, and started over) vessel. Happy to answer questions.

The experience in a nutshell was sublime, a cross between Oceania and SeaDream (with of course a non-ocean itinerary). We hit record heat the whole week we were traveling but didn’t impact anything, just slowed us down a little.

Happy to answer any questions about ports or the ship. As well, took so many photos of other riverboats (fascinated by differences) that we’ll do a slideshow later this summer that focuses on at least one ship from almost every river line (pretty much the only river boat I didn’t see was SeaCloud’s River Cloud, heard that was marvelous tho’ cabins were small). These include Viking River, Vantage, AMA/Amadeus, Tauck, Grand Circle, A’Rosa, and on and on.

And stay tuned for review of River Beatrice.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Carolyn,

I doubt you have seen pretty much all of the river cruise ships on the Danube river :D! I´m still trying to list them all up. I saw lots of them in Budapest in my week there. And I still missed some ships there. I drove my collegues crazy by saying, sorry, but I have to go down to the river to take some more cruise ship photos :D.

steamboats

Just back from my first-ever Danube cruise. Ship was Uniworld’s River Beatrice, a brand new (for Uniworld; it essentially bought a half-built newbuild that Vantage had been constructing, ripped out the insides, and started over) vessel. Happy to answer questions.

The experience in a nutshell was sublime, a cross between Oceania and SeaDream (with of course a non-ocean itinerary). We hit record heat the whole week we were traveling but didn’t impact anything, just slowed us down a little.

Happy to answer any questions about ports or the ship. As well, took so many photos of other riverboats (fascinated by differences) that we’ll do a slideshow later this summer that focuses on at least one ship from almost every river line (pretty much the only river boat I didn’t see was SeaCloud’s River Cloud, heard that was marvelous tho’ cabins were small). These include Viking River, Vantage, AMA/Amadeus, Tauck, Grand Circle, A’Rosa, and on and on.

And stay tuned for review of River Beatrice.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Carolyn,

Happy to hear you had a great time!

1)how were the conditions of the rivers?

2) what ports did you visit?

3) how was the food?

4) after may ocean sails, this will be our first go on a river; did you happen to spot viking's new "legend"?

cant wait for your review! thanks!!

Dean

Have to say -- you have something to look forward to. Very special experience and I'd be open to repeating it, exactly, LOL. Loved it.

Carolyn

We are taking this trip next June 19. I am very anxious to hear your comments and see your photos.

Catch your breath.

Cheryl

Hi Carolyn,

I'm SO happy to hear that you had such an excellent experience on the River Beatrice and cannot wait for your detailed review. I am now counting the days (almost hours) until I depart home this Saturday and embark on Sunday; today is my last day of work!! WOOHOO!!! Your comment comparing it to a cross between Oceania and SeaDream really has me excited as I have never been on a luxury cruise so this may be the closest I come to that. In case you didn't hear, there was an article on the Beatrice and this itinerary in the 7/17 issue of USAToday which was also very positive and increased my excitement level up another notch; it included 21 pictures online.

Welcome home.

Debbie

We're considering doing our very first river cruise next year for our 30th anniversary. I've been busy gathering brochures and lots of info. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

Dean,

The Viking Legend is cruising. A friend of mine visited her in Regensburg a couple of days ago on her inaugural cruise. They still seem to have some technical problems. There was obviously an incident when leaving Nuremberg harbor. A malfunction caused the ship to be not navigable anymore and they got stuck sideways blocking the canal. The problem was solved pretty quickly by a technician. The news articles didn´t mention the ships name but there were only two ships in Nuremberg that day and only the Legend had some scratches in her bow section. Here are some photos on a German cruise message board (scroll down).

steamboats

Dean,

The Viking Legend is cruising. A friend of mine visited her in Regensburg a couple of days ago on her inaugural cruise. They still seem to have some technical problems. There was obviously an incident when leaving Nuremberg harbor. A malfunction caused the ship to be not navigable anymore and they got stuck sideways blocking the canal. The problem was solved pretty quickly by a technician. The news articles didn´t mention the ships name but there were only two ships in Nuremberg that day and only the Legend had some scratches in her bow section. Here are some photos on a German cruise message board (scroll down).

steamboats

Steamboats,

Great pics!!! Thanks. Hope the issues are over come for legend!! Where are the pics located? would love to use them as wallpaper for my computer!!

Dean

Hi, answers below!

Carolyn,

Happy to hear you had a great time!

1)how were the conditions of the rivers? River was in good shape, none of the flooding of mid-June, no impact at all, and also not in drought stage so no worries about too shallow.

2) what ports did you visit? We started in Passau (flew in to Munich, spent the night there), then on to Linz (for Salzburg), Melk and Durnstein (my favorite), Vienna, Bratislava and then an overnight in Budapest.

3) how was the food? The food was generally quite excellent; it's continental European, primarily, so sometimes heavy but delicious. Desserts I thought were inconsistent.

4) after may ocean sails, this will be our first go on a river; did you happen to spot viking's new "legend"? I did see it! It had the prime spot on the Danube in Budapest (right by the Chain Bridge) and a colleague, who recently did the Rhine, tells me Viking always had prime positions there, too.

cant wait for your review! thanks!!

Dean

I know this is a thread for River Beatrice but here are a couple of shots I got of Viking Legend in Vienna and Budapest!

Steamboats,

Great pics!!! Thanks. Hope the issues are over come for legend!! Where are the pics located? would love to use them as wallpaper for my computer!!

Dean

232429075_vikingriverbudapest.jpg.b99c6c367ea05c7f7f53b5f69b97f6eb.jpg

967517914_vikingriverhull.jpg.0be1f8e374f85651ae7501b70fe5603e.jpg

564266298_vikinglegendclose-up.jpg.a0d84237eb609641c6c6669aef813f52.jpg

And since I'm throwing photos around, here's one of River Beatrice. I took this in Budapest when I was sitting across the river (on the Pest side). There are more where these come from; stay tuned for a slide show hopefully next month.

Carolyn

PS River Beatrice is the ship that's docked. Anyone want to guess which ship is motoring on past?

490396112_riverbeatrice.jpg.57f0bd893cc564b354a593e1844b1d1e.jpg

Carolyn,

I was on this trip as well...I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you...or...maybe I did:)

Our trip was FANTASTIC.....the service was superb....the accomodations...what can I say...we are spoiled now for good!

We have travelled with Uniworld before on the River Royale (Provence & Burgundy)...that trip was the cake and this one is the icing.

Our cruise manager Hildegarde, knowledgable...sincere...genuine...

Alina, our conceirge went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed...

We met some wonderful people and I know we will stay in touch with them.

I really can't find anything that I would have done over on this vacation...

We were all given a memento of the trip...menus from the week...a small box of chocolates on our pillow the last night....

Sometimes, when you go on a cruise...you notice at the last night the attention is less....not on the Beatrice....every night was like the first night...

If anyone has any specific questions...please contact me...I will be happy to share my experience in depth...

Happy Sailing..

Tina & Dave:)

You asked for questions....

How were the included excursions? Were they big tour buses, or intimate groups? Did you enjoy them?

What kind of clothes did you bring? Do you have to dress up for dinner?

Did you book your own air?

Thanks so much......

Anyone want to guess which ship is motoring on past?

My guess:

MS JOHANN STRAUSS, owner Premicon AG (Munich), built in 2004 by HDW Nobiskrug

Sisterships are the MS ARTISTRY, MS VICTORIA, MS POETRY, MS BOLERO and MS TUI MAXIMA.

steamboats

You asked for questions....

How were the included excursions? Were they big tour buses, or intimate groups? Did you enjoy them?

What kind of clothes did you bring? Do you have to dress up for dinner?

Did you book your own air?

Thanks so much......

There were 105 guests on board..we were generally broken up into 3 groups..the guided walking tours were great and as on the last River Cruise we went on (River Royale - Provence & Burgundy)..you get to know people quickly and there are always people you just "click" with and then you tour with them..lots of fun! We attended the Optional classical concert in Vienna and it was wonderful.

We brought casual clothes..the men need to wear slacks at night...my husband didn't bring a jacket although most men wore a jacket for the Captain's Welcome dinner (first night) and the Farewell Dinner (last night)

My husband did not feel uncomfortable at all. Women can wear capris, long walking shorts....men, just a collar polo and slacks for the rest of the time

Very informal and much better than the big ships.

We booked our air through Uniworld who had an arrangement with British Airways and we participated in the 2 for 1 deal.

I was a little apprehensive as I had heard some not so wonderful things about BA but, we had great flights coming and going.

I didn't care for the stop we made in Bratislava...it's still a rather depressed country after coming out from under the Communists...the houses are still all the same, etc...it will take them some time to reconstruct.

I agree that Melk and Durstein were exceptional and need to add that Budaepest is just like Paris! it's a beautiful city and we stayed for the extension...very worthwhile.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

That's too funny -- I remember meeting you (and chatting about New Jersey)!

Totally agree with every comment/impression you have shared.

You should write a review! Poor River Beatrice doesn't have any member reviews....

Glad the trip was good.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I was on this trip as well...I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you...or...maybe I did:)

Our trip was FANTASTIC.....the service was superb....the accomodations...what can I say...we are spoiled now for good!

We have travelled with Uniworld before on the River Royale (Provence & Burgundy)...that trip was the cake and this one is the icing.

Our cruise manager Hildegarde, knowledgable...sincere...genuine...

Alina, our conceirge went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed...

We met some wonderful people and I know we will stay in touch with them.

I really can't find anything that I would have done over on this vacation...

We were all given a memento of the trip...menus from the week...a small box of chocolates on our pillow the last night....

Sometimes, when you go on a cruise...you notice at the last night the attention is less....not on the Beatrice....every night was like the first night...

If anyone has any specific questions...please contact me...I will be happy to share my experience in depth...

Happy Sailing..

Archived