X vs. NCL?

Have eliminated luxury cruise lines and therefore in the choices below am not necessarily influenced by a few hundred dollars either way; am looking for a memorable experience on an around the horn South America cruise. We have sailed on Galaxy and loved it.

To be honest, the ship that sounds most appealing -- we are in our mid-fifties and enjoy the cultural side of things -- is HAL's Veendam, but for some reason they seem to have scheduled the cruise to start on a Thursday and end on a Monday. Not very conducive to adding on at the beginning in Buenos Aires or having any breathing time before getting back to work after the cruise. Star Princess sounds way too big.

That leaves us with Norwegian Sun or X Infinity. How would you compare these two, or NCL vs. X, in terms of service, cabin, passengers, food, cleanliness, etc.?

Without hesitation I'd go on X. Here is what I rate based on one NCL Sky cruise and many X cruises:

Service No question- X tops NCL. No names used, wait staff indifferent, no conversation with staff on NCL.

Cabin Hard to compare as we were in a balcony cabin on NCL and always suites on X

Passengers Same

food NO question--X. The buffets on NCL were like going to Lubbys Cafeteria. The buffet on Solstice is fantastic.

Cleanliness Both very clean

I can't cite specific examples, but if culture is what you're after (forget food and service) again I'd chose X over NCL.

Without hesitation I'd go on X. Here is what I rate based on one NCL Sky cruise and many X cruises:

Service No question- X tops NCL. No names used, wait staff indifferent, no conversation with staff on NCL.

Cabin Hard to compare as we were in a balcony cabin on NCL and always suites on X

Passengers Same

food NO question--X. The buffets on NCL were like going to Lubbys Cafeteria. The buffet on Solstice is fantastic.

I can't cite specific examples, but if culture is what you're after (forget food and service) again I'd chose X over NCL.

What is "culture" as it pertains to comparing cruise lines??

Bridge Maven, we are more into lectures about the ports, etc., and classical or Bway-style performances than we are into Las Vegas shows and glitz. On Celebrity we were happy to meet other passengers who shared these preferences. We would prefer food that is carefully prepared and maybe reflects some of the local cuisines, rather than massive quantities.

Bridge Maven, we are more into lectures about the ports, etc., and classical or Bway-style performances than we are into Las Vegas shows and glitz. On Celebrity we were happy to meet other passengers who shared these preferences. We would prefer food that is carefully prepared and maybe reflects some of the local cuisines, rather than massive quantities.

If this is your criteria, I'd go with X.

Hands down I'd go Celebrity over NCL.

Honestly I haven't done NCL. However, I have friends and a couple family members that all have tried NCL and will never again. They go back to spending a bit more and have having a more refined atmosphere. They all complain about food and service compared to X. Looking at pictures of the NCL ships, I can see what they mean by a more casual and "too colorful" atmosphere. X DOES have more low keyed entertainment.

Seeing you loved the Galaxy, we liked it too, I would steer away from NCL. Of course you are asking on the X board, which tends to attract frequenters. :)

Just read over a cruise ship comparison book and you'll find out more details re differences.

My husband and I have stopped going to port lectures on all cruise lines because they use to be good but in recent years have become sales pitches for local shopping. This includes Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America.

I am a baby boomer who has been attending Broadway shows, operas, the symphony, and off Broadway shows since I was in first grade, and think that the production shows on all cruise lines, including Holland America and Celebrity vary from poor to mediocre.. However, the entertainment on Norwegian Dawn last month, which included Chicago Second City, was the best I have experienced on any ship.

Food is subjective but I have had some of my best meals at sea on our cruise from NYC to Bermuda on Norwegian Dawn last month.

We did the Infinity around the horn over the holidays and loved it, even with the 'holiday premium' fare paid. We were in a FV at the back of the ship with a balcony as big as our cabin. Fantastic!

Having said that, don't dismiss the Star Princess. I am not a fan of Princess' largest ships (Crown/Emerald/Carib), but their smaller cousins (Star/Grand) are excellent, and don't feel 'big' or crowded. We've taken them on cruises in the Med and Caribbean, and they were great. We might have done Princess around the horn, but preferred the Infinity itinerary.

IMHO, Princess' ships are in better shape (by far!), and have better entertainment (still classy - not Vegas glitz). X has a slight edge in cuisine (not much), and service (alot). We loved the Infinity FV cabins, which P does not have, and we love P's mini-suites, which X does not have. Both are good choices!

Enjoy!

I've sailed both lines and I like both. But you sound more like X than NCL. NCL"s entertainment is often better, but X has the edge in other things you seem to value. But, I would not be so quick to discard Princess. You might like it (disclaimer: I love big ships).

NCL delivers a fun product. I think everyone who goes on NCL has fun but for me- all I could think on my last NCL cruise was that I could be on Celebrity.

NCL has great entertainment, great sports trivia games, trivia games, onboard activities, bars, razzle dazzle sort of cruise. Cabins are small by ship standards and they are ok- nothing special here.

Ships were kept ship shape.

Celebrity is not a "fun" ship. It is more of a "relaxing" ship with activities if you want to do them. The decor and quality of the interior spaces far exceeds Norwegian's loud colors.

There really isn't any comparison as far as ambiance. NCL is much more casual and there is a higher passenger to tonnage ratio on NCL.

Service on both lines is very good and the NCL staff I encountered were always friendly and helpful.

Just so you know- Infinity is a pretty big ship. I love the Millenium class ships but my father (an Oceania enthusiast) only liked the Specialty Restaurant on Millenium and little else.

Rebecca Louise, we are probably more into "relaxation" than "fun" lol. We can definitely enjoy being silly but we are pretty much allergic to glitz. Bridge Maven, that is very interesting re Second City, etc. I can't say I thought much of Celebrity's "entertainment." I guess my sense is that the service tcdtcd talks about is a very lovely aspect of Celebrity and the less I am forced to be "entertained," the better. You are all giving me a lot to think about....Thanks!

We did the Around-the-Horn on Norwegian Sun this past April. It was our second time on NCL, with four sailings on Celebrity as well (including Galaxy a few months prior).

Agreed, the food on Celebrity is a notch above overall. We avoided the buffet on the Sun, but liked the other choice of venues. The main dining room was fairly consistent -- not up to par with Celebrity, but did offer a good variety and never left us dissatisfied. Freestyle worked very well for us on this itinerary, not having to be tied to fixed dining times with so much to see. But then Celebrity might have introduced anytime dining before your sailing.

In terms of the itinerary itself, we preferred NCL with a day in the Falkland Islands (provided your ship can get in -- luckily ours did) and an afternoon of glacier cruising immediately following Ushuaia. Seeing the glaciers right from our balcony was amazing. Puerto Chacabuco was a pleasant surprise, with a worthwhile day of sightseeing inland. Also Infinity is really a 13-day sailing, with a bonus night in Buenos Aires at the beginning.

Have never been tempted by anythnig NCl--not the dining plan, ship decor or anything else. Met some NCL cruisers yesterday in a store--definitely a different culture on board..worked great for them & their kids but they did not describle an elegant, upscale environment like on X...Just our opinion...

Rebecca Louise, we are probably more into "relaxation" than "fun" lol. We can definitely enjoy being silly but we are pretty much allergic to glitz. Bridge Maven, that is very interesting re Second City, etc. I can't say I thought much of Celebrity's "entertainment." I guess my sense is that the service tcdtcd talks about is a very lovely aspect of Celebrity and the less I am forced to be "entertained," the better. You are all giving me a lot to think about....Thanks!

One major difference between the two cruise lines is that NCL has a lot of different restaurants on their ships, which include an Italian, French, Steak House, Asian, and Tex Mex Restaurant, as well as their two main dining rooms, while Celebrity has its main dining room and a specialty restaurant, even though Solstice class has more options. Consequently, on Celebrity you feel as if you are dining at a banquet type of event, such as a wedding, but on NCL you feel as if you are dining at a land based restaurant. If the banquet feeling in Celebrity's main dining room is very important to you, you will probably not like NCL. On the other hand, I loved the fact that we were able to eat at a different restaurant every night during our NCL Dawn cruise from NYC to Bermuda, and their French restaurant was the best dining experience I have ever had on a ship, with the exception of our cruise 35 years ago on Leonardo da Vinci, which was a completely different era of cruising.

I agree with Bridge Maven about NCL. I'm a long-time NCL cruiser and absolutely love everything about it. BTW my husband and I are both edging toward 65 this year. We're from Sonoma County, and I work in San Francisco, so we know what fine dining, service and entertainment are. And still we usually choose NCL when we cruise. We have cruised with HAL, Princess and RCI as well.

We're doing a Celebrity cruise for the first time next May, because the cruise leaves from San Francisco, and the 11-night itinerary to Alaska just cannot be beat. However, don't laugh :D, I am having some anxiety about the Celebrity experience. We are lucky to have met some wonderful people on our rollcall thread, and we are joining them for dinner; otherwise, my anxiety would have been high anxiety, as the traditional dining experience has not appealed to us in the past.

We do not care if a server remembers whether we like tea with dinner or coffee with cream or sugar. Heck, I don't drink the same beverages night after night. We have found, without exception, that the service on NCL is wonderful. The crew is happy, and it shows in the way they treat their guests.

What is really nice about NCL is the abundance of CHOICES about where to eat, with whom to eat and when to eat. This is especially good in Alaska, when you've been out trekking in your jeans and hiking boots but have to hurry back for an early dinner. And, like Bridge Maven, we've had some fabulous dinners on NCL ships. She mentioned Le Bistro, the French restaurant. Our other favorites are Cagney's, a Chicago-style steakhouse, and Teppanyaki, with Japanese dishes prepared tableside.

As for ship decor--the brighter and more vibrant, the better. We love the exterior and interior designs, expecially in the newer ships. And we've been lucky enough to experience NCL's penthouse suites, with concierge and butler service. Magnificent!

I'm posting this so that others can see there are people who really like NCL. No, it's not for everyone. If you really like the more traditional ships and service, NCL might not suit you. However, it realy suits us.

However, one needs change every so often, and even though anxious, I am really looking forward to Alaska on Celebrity!

One major difference between the two cruise lines is that NCL has a lot of different restaurants on their ships, which include an Italian, French, Steak House, Asian, and Tex Mex Restaurant, as well as their two main dining rooms, while Celebrity has its main dining room and a specialty restaurant, even though Solstice class has more options. Consequently, on Celebrity you feel as if you are dining at a banquet type of event, such as a wedding, but on NCL you feel as if you are dining at a land based restaurant. If the banquet feeling in Celebrity's main dining room is very important to you, you will probably not like NCL. On the other hand, I loved the fact that we were able to eat at a different restaurant every night during our NCL Dawn cruise from NYC to Bermuda, and their French restaurant was the best dining experience I have ever had on a ship, with the exception of our cruise 35 years ago on Leonardo da Vinci, which was a completely different era of cruising.

We sailed on NCL and we were all very disappointed in the MDR food, we ate the first night in the MDR and in the specialty restaurant thereafter. The food in the pay to dine restaurant was great. The buffet had the same quality food as the MDR, not very good. This was the first time I actually lost weight on a cruise. As far as a fun ship, it’s as fun as you make it. We had a good time, but if I sailed NCL again, it would be because of the itinerary only.

Hi Adele:), by the time you go on your cruise they will be having

"Select Dining" pretty much all over the fleet so you will be able

to do your preference of eating anytime you want. But if you are

sailing on Mercury, she was built long before the megaships and she

does not offer "Specialty Restaurants".

Just an FYI for you.

Passengers Same

We agree, we tired NCL twice, and prefer X overall!

ohh and the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are way way better then the NCL ones!

ohh and the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are way way better then the NCL ones!
But there's only ONE on each of the older ships, am I correct?

Thanks for the Select Dining information, Lois. I am lucky to have made some good friends on our rollcall thread, and we'll be dining with them this cruise (and sharing many excursions as well).

Yes, there is only one specialty restaurant on all of Celebrity's ships that were built before Solstice which entered service within the past year. In fact, Mercury, one of their oldest ships, doesn't even have a specialty restaurant.

My husband and I have stopped going to port lectures on all cruise lines because they use to be good but in recent years have become sales pitches for local shopping. This includes Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America.

Bridge Maven,

Please add NCL, Costa and any other mass marketed cruise line. The ALL do it. It seems as though you don't like this . . . . I agree. We stopped attending them years ago.

I am a baby boomer who has been attending Broadway shows, operas, the symphony, and off Broadway shows since I was in first grade, and think that the production shows on all cruise lines, including Holland America and Celebrity vary from poor to mediocre.. However, the entertainment on Norwegian Dawn last month, which included Chicago Second City, was the best I have experienced on any ship.

For the most part I have to agree again. However I have never been "poorly" entertained on any cruise, so would grade them mabybe mediocre to fair. NCL's are certainly not in the same class as Broadway, etc., etc., but are probably the best at sea. My opinion of the Chicago Second City is just the exact opposite of yours . . . .I thought they were cheesy Second City performers who had been relegated "downstairs" so to speak.

Food is subjective but I have had some of my best meals at sea on our cruise from NYC to Bermuda on Norwegian Dawn last month.

I agree and it the most subjective area on these cruise boards . . . . but some of the worst meals I have had on cruises have been on NCL. Let me soften this statement by saying, it is better than I get at home and at some of the chain restaurants here in the states.

I read your recent post where you said that you will sail on NCL on all your future cruises so it is readily apparent to me that you were "converted" by your "free style" experience on the Dawn. When I say "good for you", I sincerely mean that. However, "free style" does nothing for me.

To answer the OP's question on my own. In my opinion, =X= outshines NCL in all facets of its' product.

Thanks for the Select Dining information, Lois. I am lucky to have made some good friends on our rollcall thread, and we'll be dining with them this cruise (and sharing many excursions as well).

Your welcome....and yes, the M class ships have one Specialty

Restaurant. The new S class ships have 4 or 5 of them.

As you said, Celebrity is probably much more traditional than NCL.

Oh, its always nice to have CruiseCritic friends as tablemates:)

Our most memorable cruise ever was on NCL. The most mediocre ship experience we have ever had was on NCL. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" (I think I read that somewhere once)

The cruise is ancient history in cruising terms.. over a dozen years ago and to the Middle East. The tours were memorable (mostly) but the ship was the "Dream", often in the news because it limps along and bumps into things... in the English Channel and last year in the harbour in Monte Video.

We have experienced versions of free style / any time dining on HAL and Princess and it's not for us. We like traditional cruising that Celebrity offers and have cruised around the Horn on Infinity and are going again next February. We have never been back to NCL and are addicted to cruising Celebrity style.

Bridge Maven,

Please add NCL, Costa and any other mass marketed cruise line. The ALL do it. It seems as though you don't like this . . . . I agree. We stopped attending them years ago.

For the most part I have to agree again. However I have never been "poorly" entertained on any cruise, so would grade them mabybe mediocre to fair. NCL's are certainly not in the same class as Broadway, etc., etc., but are probably the best at sea. My opinion of the Chicago Second City is just the exact opposite of yours . . . .I thought they were cheesy Second City performers who had been relegated "downstairs" so to speak.

I agree and it the most subjective area on these cruise boards . . . . but some of the worst meals I have had on cruises have been on NCL. Let me soften this statement by saying, it is better than I get at home and at some of the chain restaurants here in the states.

I read your recent post where you said that you will sail on NCL on all your future cruises so it is readily apparent to me that you were "converted" by your "free style" experience on the Dawn. When I say "good for you", I sincerely mean that. However, "free style" does nothing for me.

To answer the OP's question on my own. In my opinion, =X= outshines NCL in all facets of its' product.

Just to clarify - when I said that I enjoyed our experience on NCL Dawn last month so much that I will consider NCL for all our future cruises, I didn't mean that I wouldn't consider other cruise lines as well. Based on our past experiences, we will also consider Celebrity, with the exception of Mercury, as well as Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. The only cruise line we will not consider for future cruises is Holland America, because even though Holland America has the best cabins, my husband thinks the food and service in its main dining room is inferior to every other cruise line we have been on.

Archived