Golden Princess to Hawaii -November 2009

scareyness

I am considering doing this cruise after a short stay in Las Vegas. The whole thing should be a wonderful experince coming from the UK.

The best date for us is later in November, however I have read some reviews that were not what I expected!

Any info on what the weather should be please?

I understand the ship has had a recent refit and food is a personal choice you please some, some you don't.

The reason for considering this cruise is to tie it in with Vegas, embark at LA, the sea days (so want some good weather!) and of course see Hawaii.

Any comments or tips greatfully received

thanks

Your first couple of days at sea could be a little cold and rough; once you get closer to Hawaii the seas will calm down and the weather will heat up. I did one similar a few years ago and even though it was a little chilly the first couple of days, we still sat outside just had sweaters on. It's a lovely relaxing cruise.

As far as the ship, can't comment as I've never been on the Golden. Food, as you say, is always subjective.

Hi Scareyness

There are ten in our crowd who seem to have booked the same trip as the one you are considering. We are staying at Circus Circus for three nights, fly to LAX and board the ship on November 22. On return, we have elected to stay for two nights at the Crowne Plaza, Beverley Hills. It is a pity there are only four islands we visit in Hawaii, would have liked a fifth but overall it should be a great trip and we are looking forward to it.

Regards,

Jan

I see your plan as the perfect vacation. I happen to love Vegas and visit there 3-4 times a year. I have taken the r/t LA-Hawaii cruise twice, and love it too. So much so that we are booked to go again next March. I've never put the two trips together,but think it's a great idea.

Vegas can be a little cool in November, and I usually take jeans when I go there in November or early Spring.

I concur wuth the comments that it's chilly sailing out of LA. I've done that 3 times, once in November to the Mexican Riviera, and the two times, in January and in March, for the Hawaii cruise. I find LA damp and cool, even chilly if it happens to be windy, but plan for that by taking long pants and a lightweight jacket. Thise clothing items will come in handy for the first couple of sea days leaving and returning to LA. The temps in Hawaii are pretty much summer-like all year round. Pleasantly warm in the daytime and a little cooler, but not uncomfortable in the evenings.

We liked the Golden when we sailed on her to Mexico a couple of years ago, and can't wait to sail on her, with new amenities that have been added in drydock. The type of dining experience depends on what you prefer - - I personally like Anytime Dining best because I prefer being able to choose when I wish to eat, depending on the day and activities. But when I travel with a friend who likes traditional dining, that's what we do, and I enjoy that too.

Hi, did this cruise on the old Regal in 07 and will be doing it again this xmas on the Golden. I loved the cruise and the sea days. The only problem is the short amounts of time you actually spend in Hawaii, for me its about the cruise so it works but for seeing Hawaii not the best plan. Someone said something about only visiting 4 islands, well that really is all there is in Hawaii, while there are lots of smaller islands, I am not sure any cruise ship goes to them. When we did this in 07 our ship also made a stop in Kona, (other side of the big island from hilo) and having spent time in Kona on land vacations, its a great stop. So if you like sea days and the relaxining feel of the islands this is a great cruise, I cant wait to go.

John

did that cruise Dec 6th last year. Weather leaving Los Angeles was warm when we left so the sea days were nice. California weather is very changeable, sometimes cool in December and sometimes well into the 80's.

We loved the cruise, one of the best. Even though only four ports, we loved it. Remember that the stop in Hilo is the big Island of Hawaii. Now that we don't stop in Kona really doesn't matter as it is the same island. Access to all you want to see closer from Hilo. We did have rain on and off in Hilo and a bit overcast in Kawaii. We enjoyed our sea days as much as the ports. The ship had non stop activities all day and well into the night. Loved the ship and staff. Found the food to be good. Met wonderful cruise critic friends on board and we had much fun. Will do this cruise again next year.

San Diego Sue

We did this cruise on Golden this March just before her drydock and refitting with enhancements. We enjoy sea days and as has been pointed out already, the first day or two going and the last day or two returning can be, but are not always, quite rough. This is because the ship has to cross the Alaska(Japanese) current that runs along the Pacific coast north to south.

The ship is large and does have a lot of planned activities, but we are self-starters with over 40 cruises so do not require being entertained. We have been to Hawaii on several cruises plus land trips so we do not mind the fact that the time in each port is short - but long enough for you to hit the highlights.

A big fault with Golden before the refit was the buffet stations - crowded, jammed together with no traffic pattern, but from what I have read this situation has been improved.

As to weather, the rainy season in Hawaii is essentially the same as here in SanDiego. Can start as early as November, but seldom does. Our rainiest months are Jan/Feb/Mar:)

We did this cruise in 11/2007 on the Diamond and are booked on the 11/22/2009 cruise this year - if you do book, join the roll call!

The first couple days out of LA were cold and rough but that didn't bother us at all! After that, the weather was shorts/t-shirts until the last day or so out to Ensenada. I don't recall any rain during the trip (15-days back then) and the weather in Hawaii was great - plus they were already decorating for Christmas - on the ship and on land!

We love the sea days and we're looking forward to seeing the Golden for the first time - especially after the refit.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Doug

Hi Scareyness

There are ten in our crowd who seem to have booked the same trip as the one you are considering. We are staying at Circus Circus for three nights' date=' fly to LAX and board the ship on November 22. On return, we have elected to stay for two nights at the Crowne Plaza, Beverley Hills. It is a pity there are only four islands we visit in Hawaii, would have liked a fifth but overall it should be a great trip and we are looking forward to it.

Regards,

Jan[/quote']

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful

I was hoping to be able to contact Sue's Mom (Jan) regarding this trip. Is there anyway you can PM or email other users?

Thanks

Archived