To Tip or not to Tip the Porters...that is the question

To quote what I read in a cruise guide, "Stiff these guys and you'll be filling out a lost luggage report!" Seriously, I see no reason not to tip them. I see it as a gesture of appreciation.

That they are earning six figures without tips surely isn't a reason. :rolleyes:

To quote what I read in a cruise guide, "Stiff these guys and you'll be filling out a lost luggage report!" Seriously, I see no reason not to tip them. I see it as a gesture of appreciation.

So your saying if I don't give them $4.00, they will deliberately throw away $200-$300 of my property. That sure sounds like "EXTORTION" to me.

So your saying if I don't give them $4.00, they will deliberately throw away $200-$300 of my property. That sure sounds like "EXTORTION" to me.

It's called living in a "Thugocracy" and unfortunately some people support this way of life. If that's what it's come down to, I will never Tip another Porter.

I had 4 bags on this last trip, I gave him $4. He was very appreciative. However......

He left my bags where I dropped them and about 2 minutes later, when I asked about my bags, he said 'where are they?' I said, 'You just took them, they're right here!'

My bags sat there until another porter came by and moved them to the side again because there were passengers waiting for pickup. Who knows who finally loaded them onto the cart. My bags arrived in my cabin around 4pm.

I think you can tip or not. I don't think it really matters. Half the time my bags get slammed onto the cart and the other half of the time they sit looking forlornly by the curb while I go check in, hoping to see them again.

This will be my last response to you as you obviously don't get it. If you base your decision to tip ONLY on whether or not someone provides you a service, then you would be tipping the cruise director, activity staff, dishawashers, chef, assistant chefs, guest relations staff etc. When you go to a professional sporting event, do you tip the athletes? Obviously you do not tip these people. The reason you don't tip these people is because you know they earn a full salary (you don't need to know their specific individual salaries - but you know that they have full salaries that are not expected to be subsidized by tips). I never ask anybody what their individual salary is, but before travelling I do study up to see what types of people that I am likely to encounter should be tipped.

You are mistakenly equating the "porters" at the cruise terminal as being the equivalent of skycaps at the airport and bellmen at hotles. They are not. They are longshoremen. They are more akin to the captain of the ship and activity staff on the ship. If you are too stubborn to realize this, then keep giving away your money. Put them into your will for all I care. I am done listening to your obnoxious and repetative comments. Fortunately several others have chimed in that they understand what is occurring. Maybe one day you will too.

Coxswain makes a habit of not getting it! :rolleyes: and I make a habit of laughing at him! :D

Archived