To Tip or not to Tip the Porters...that is the question

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Should these porters get tips or not? I have heard that they are well paid, but how do I really know that. Last year, when arriving at the port in Miami for our Liberty cruise, I really didn't have any small bills on me. I wasn't going to give the porter $20 for taking our bags (we maybe had 3 of them). Needless to say, he kinda looked at me (you know the look like "you're not gonna tip me") and two of our bags didn't make it to the room until 11PM. Coincidence or not, I'm not sure...

The porter has nothing to do with your bags once they are onboard the ship...since you did eventually receive all your luggage I would imagine the late arrival time was due to ALL the luggage they have to sort thru & deliver...

Tip or don't tip...it's your choice & has been discussed ad nauseum...here on the boards...

Tip or don't tip...it's your choice & has been discussed ad nauseum...here on the boards...

wow ... Just a comment for you KC .... we were all new here once. Perhaps this is a question that someone hasn't seen before. Really no harm in asking. Nobody is forcing any of us to read and/or comment.

wow ... Just a comment for you KC .... we were all new here once. Perhaps this is a question that someone hasn't seen before. Really no harm in asking. Nobody is forcing any of us to read and/or comment.

sorry...my comment wasn't intended as critisim for the OP... at least I didn't tell them to use the search function...or post the dead horse picture I've seen so often...

I always make sure I have at least 10 singles before getting to the airport, cruise ship etc.

I still tip at the bag check-in at the airport. I've been told by a few men that work behind the counter that it isn't necessary. My reply is, I just like to make sure my bag will get there and wink at him.

What's a few singles?

On any published tipping guidelines that I've ever seen, the recommended tip is $1 to $2 per bag, more if they are unusually heavy or if the porter has to make some special effort on your behalf. I don't think it is required that you tip, however, it would appear that it is expected and appropriate. Generally speaking, your tip will amount to less than one drink on board.

I'm not sure that late bag delivery has anything to do with not tipping the porter. However, for those bags that never show up at all, I'm not so sure!

I do agree with you, however this is one of the many reasons why this is a touchy subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1013765&highlight=porters

This question never ends well and one of the few instances where the "search" function should really be utilized! ;)

Happy 1,000th to me! :)

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Should these porters get tips or not? I have heard that they are well paid, but how do I really know that. Last year, when arriving at the port in Miami for our Liberty cruise, I really didn't have any small bills on me. I wasn't going to give the porter $20 for taking our bags (we maybe had 3 of them). Needless to say, he kinda looked at me (you know the look like "you're not gonna tip me") and two of our bags didn't make it to the room until 11PM. Coincidence or not, I'm not sure...

I don't feel that it is any of my business what they make. I tip porters who handle my bags at hotels and on cruises. We ususally tip about $2 per bag.

In U.S. ports the people acting as "porters" (i.e. taking your luggage) are unionized longshoreman. According to the Port of Mimai they are paid $40 to $60 per hour, and when acting as "porters" they are often doing over time and being paid time-and-a-half (so $60 to $90 per hour). There are signs up on most (if not all) U.S. ports saying porters do not need to be tipped and in at least one U.S. port (I forget if it is Port Canaveral or Port Everglades) they are actually not permitted to receive tips (a few rogue porters try to circumvent this by asking for a "donation").

The "porters" at the cruise terminals are completely different than sky caps at airports and bellman at hotels. Yes, they are providing a service, but it is more akin to the service your dentist or teacher provides; they are being compensated at a rate that is not expected to be subsidized by tips.

Many people do tip the "porters" at the cruise terminal, but not for the right reasons. It is usually because of either:

1: Fear the person will retaliate by purposely losing or damaging one's luggage (i.e. they are paying a bribe, not really tipping).

2: Mistakenly believing that the "porters" are actually like porters at hotels and airports who receive a small salary that is expected to be enhanced by tips.

Because so many people have tipped the porters in the past, unfortunately some now have come to expect tips and make passive-aggressive comments when not tipped. Fortunately the Port of Mimai has indicated they are cracking down against some of these rogue porters and have terminated some. They encourage people to contact port security or call customer service if a porter makes a comment implying you need to tip them in order to protect your luggage.

If you do not believe this, please either e-mail or call customer relations at the Port of Miami (just google Port of Miami to get the web site and contact information) and see for yourself.

In U.S. ports the people acting as "porters" (i.e. taking your luggage) are unionized longshoreman. According to the Port of Mimai they are paid $40 to $60 per hour, and when acting as "porters" they are often doing over time and being paid time-and-a-half (so $60 to $90 per hour). There are signs up on most (if not all) U.S. ports saying porters do not need to be tipped and in at least one U.S. port (I forget if it is Port Canaveral or Port Everglades) they are actually not permitted to receive tips (a few rogue porters try to circumvent this by asking for a "donation").

The "porters" at the cruise terminals are completely different than sky caps at airports and bellman at hotels. Yes, they are providing a service, but it is more akin to the service your dentist or teacher provides; they are being compensated at a rate that is not expected to be subsidized by tips.

Many people do tip the "porters" at the cruise terminal, but not for the right reasons. It is usually because of either:

1: Fear the person will retaliate by purposely losing or damaging one's luggage (i.e. they are paying a bribe, not really tipping).

2: Mistakenly believing that the "porters" are actually like porters at hotels and airports who receive a small salary that is expected to be enhanced by tips.

Because so many people have tipped the porters in the past, unfortunately some now have come to expect tips and make passive-aggressive comments when not tipped. Fortunately the Port of Mimai has indicated they are cracking down against some of these rogue porters and have terminated some. They encourage people to contact port security or call customer service if a porter makes a comment implying you need to tip them in order to protect your luggage.

If you do not believe this, please either e-mail or call customer relations at the Port of Miami (just google Port of Miami to get the web site and contact information) and see for yourself.

I have no reason to doubt what you are saying, but I just checked a few websites specific to cruising and they all suggest $1 to $2 per bag. It is such a small amount, even if they were to earn a decent hourly wage, I'm comfortable with a modest tip. I've never experienced an aggressive porter. Here is an example of what I found...

Do I have to carry my own luggage aboard the ship?

No, there are porters available curbside at the cruise ship terminal to tag and see that your luggage is delivered to your appropriate stateroom. Be sure to have your luggage tagged with your stateroom number, name and address. If you are picking up your cruise documents at the pier, you can simply ask the porters to check the manifest for your cabin number. They will be happy to tag your luggage for you. A gratuity is expected.

I tip them as well but I just did some fast math:

Assuming 3000 passengers and 2 bags each, a $2 per bag would end up at $12000 bucks. Figure two cruises each day (one arriving one departing) that is $24k. If there are 100 porters (and I think that is high) that means they make $240 in cash. Ever get the feeling you have the wrong job :)

I tip them as well but I just did some fast math:

Assuming 3000 passengers and 2 bags each, a $2 per bag would end up at $12000 bucks. Figure two cruises each day (one arriving one departing) that is $24k. If there are 100 porters (and I think that is high) that means they make $240 in cash. Ever get the feeling you have the wrong job :)

I was thinking that as well. But I wonder how many "hours" they are working per week, especially in some of the less busy ports. I started to do the same math for my hairdresser and started to get really, really depressed.

I do agree with you, however this is one of the many reasons why this is a touchy subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1013765&highlight=porters

This question never ends well and one of the few instances where the "search" function should really be utilized! ;)

Happy 1,000th to me! :)

Happy thousandth post to you, indeed!

amit-congratulations-480.gif

I cannot believe you ask this :confused: They are doing you a service, do you not pay your servers at a restaurant? I ALWAYS tip my porters, always always always!! They start my cruise off on the right foot :) They are always so nice and happy and here they have to be out in the sun and lugging all those darn suit cases around, never would I not pay them, wow. I always make sure I have change before I go too so that I can give them what I want. For one bag I tip $5 and if I had 3 bags then I would have given at least $10 if not $15. I mean really, come on !!

#1 - if the bin is within 5 feet of where I'm standing, I'm putting in my own darn suitcases...it's not rocket science and our bags are never that heavy.

#2 - if I do need help and a porter gets 'in my face' (as they did in Miami before my honeymoon) with the wisecracks about me wanting to see my bags again...I will NOT tip him but I will snap his photo (I always have my tiny digital sony camera close by) and I will let him know that my bags will be where they are supposed to be that evening or I will have a lovely 5x7 photo of him for his supervisor. (I do not deal well with manipulation, does it show?):D

#3 - if I do need assistance and a POLITE porter offers to help and truly seems genuine, then of course I will tip (and very well might I add). :)

nuff said...

I cannot believe you ask this :confused: They are doing you a service, do you not pay your servers at a restaurant? I ALWAYS tip my porters, always always always!! They start my cruise off on the right foot :) They are always so nice and happy and here they have to be out in the sun and lugging all those darn suit cases around, never would I not pay them, wow. I always make sure I have change before I go too so that I can give them what I want. For one bag I tip $5 and if I had 3 bags then I would have given at least $10 if not $15. I mean really, come on !!

You'd be happy too if you were already earning $60 an hour to push luggage a few yards and peple were tipping you a few hundred more per day on top of that!

The OP's question was fair and a good one. The only thing I can not believe is when people automatically assume they are supposed to tip the porters at the cruise terminal and compare them to waiters. Waiters earn a couple dollars an hour in the U.S. with the expectation they will receive tips. The longshoremen serving as porters at the cruise terminal are already receiving a large salary without tips and the "service" they are providing is simply the one they are already being paid generously to do.

Surely you do not tip everybody "doing you a service!" Do you tip your dentist? Do you tip the TSA person who screens you at the airport? Do you tip your children's teachers? Do you tip the police if they respond to your call?

Some people in service professions are to be tipped (assuming they provide decent service). Others receive a full salary to perform the service and are not expected to be tipped. The longshoremen acting as porters at the cruise terminals fall into this second category, but many people do not realize this and treat them as though they fall into the first category.

I generally tip waiters generously (unless they do a poor job), I have tipped my room steward extra money on all but one cruise, I have always tipped extra at specialty restaurants etc. I am not an anti-tip type person by any means. I just do not tip longshoremen acting as porters anymore than I would tip a city public transportation driver or the pilot on my airplane or my mayor.

It should tell you something that there are signs up saying that you do not need to tip the porters. How many restaurants have you eaten at where you see such signs? You simply cannot equate tipping the longshoremen with tipping your waiter.

WooWooGirl i agree i just don't believe some people !!!

jj.......

Please e-mail customer service at Port of Miami if you don't want to believe people on this thread that the porters (in U.S. - I don't know about in Europe) receive a generous salary to perform the service they provide and that tipping is not expected. Maybe when the Port of Miami tells you what is being explained here you will believe them. :rolleyes:

Edit: By the way, check out post #107 on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1013765&highlight=tipping+porters+miami&page=6

It involves someone on a prior similar thread who was skeptical about the "porters" earning so much money, but he called the Port and was suprised by what he found out. Post #107 summarizing what he learned.

Archived