To Tip or not to Tip the Porters...that is the question

I always make sure I have at least 10 singles before getting to the airport, cruise ship etc.

I still tip at the bag check-in at the airport. I've been told by a few men that work behind the counter that it isn't necessary. My reply is, I just like to make sure my bag will get there and wink at him.

What's a few singles?

I do the same before a trip, I aways make sure to have singles on hand. I tip the porters $1 per bag. I am guessing they are also helping when the luggage comes off the ship, so the tip covers two handlings.

I just checked my 2009 Fodor's book and they also suggest tipping porters at the pier. However, their suggestion is more generous than I would have thought. They recommend a minimum of $5.

I understand your point, Gonzo70, and perhaps the port of Miami is unique concerning aggressive porters. I've experienced 4 different ports (and a 5th next month) and I've always found the porters cheerful and pleasant.

However, it would appear that tipping pier porters is still something that is widespread and still recommended by travel professionals. To that end, porters, justified or not, have come to expect a tip for services rendered. How much they earn is not an issue for me.

But I do agree, it is not required and up to the individual.

I just checked my 2009 Fodor's book and they also suggest tipping porters at the pier. However, their suggestion is more generous than I would have thought. They recommend a minimum of $5.

I understand your point, Gonzo70, and perhaps the port of Miami is unique concerning aggressive porters. I've experienced 4 different ports (and a 5th next month) and I've always found the porters cheerful and pleasant.

However, it would appear that tipping pier porters is still something that is widespread and still recommended by travel professionals. To that end, porters, justified or not, have come to expect a tip for services rendered. How much they earn is not an issue for me.

But I do agree, it is not required and up to the individual.

It is true that travel guides recommend tipping porters at cruise ships. I think it is because they do not understand the politics behind the longshoremen that make it a unique situation. The people writing those tipping guidelines probably are assuming (incorrectly) that "porters" at cruise terminals are like skycaps at airports and bellhops at hotels. They prrobably do not know that the "porters" are actually longshoremen who belong to a powerful union and the union makes it so the port is required to use the longshoremen as porters and pay them overtime for doing the work. I bet if the people writing the tip guides understood this (and realized they were already often earning $60 to $90 an hour to push luggage a few yards) they would cease recommending that they be tipped.

The aggressive porters are elsewhere too (fortunately the vast majority of porters are friendlya nd professional, but there are some bad ones at all U.S. ports). There were reports on other friends of people being pressured by some porters to "make a donation" at a port where they were not allowed to receive tips.

having only sailed from southampton I never even dreamed of tipping but now it will be a dilema, will they expect it over in the UK as we are generally speaking rubbish at tipping over her unlike when we go to the US?

I believe, in this world today - you get what you pay for!!!! We will tip $1/bag for the guy who takes our luggage from our hands and just places it right behind him on the cart! Who cares how much he makes - he just helped me out. Once we are able to get in our room, we hang around our door waiting to see the guy who is actually bringing the luggage up to our cabin. We hand him $20, he writes down our cabin number, we tell him how many bags and the colours of the luggage - and like magic - all our luggage is there within about 20 mins!!!! Would I get the same service with $5 ????? Who knows, but I'm sure not going to find out. I want my luggage - not 5 min before dinner!

I tip them because they are performing a service and I feel as if it is a kind gesture. I don't tip because I believe they earn a low income. I also don't tip out of fear that my luggage will be delayed or not arrive. It usually amounts to about the price of a drink. Until now, I've never really given it much thought. I was raised to tip those that help with your luggage and it never occurred to me to do otherwise.

I appreciate the opposing viewpoint and your decision to tip or not tip has no affect on me, whatsoever.

I believe, in this world today - you get what you pay for!!!! We will tip $1/bag for the guy who takes our luggage from our hands and just places it right behind him on the cart! Who cares how much he makes - he just helped me out. Once we are able to get in our room, we hang around our door waiting to see the guy who is actually bringing the luggage up to our cabin. We hand him $20, he writes down our cabin number, we tell him how many bags and the colours of the luggage - and like magic - all our luggage is there within about 20 mins!!!! Would I get the same service with $5 ????? Who knows, but I'm sure not going to find out. I want my luggage - not 5 min before dinner!

Brilliant. I've never thought of doing that but I think its a great idea.

I have always thought one tips people in professions where they earn a reduced salary with the expectation the the salary will be subsidized with tips. One also sometimes tips people who earn good salaries if they perform additional duties that they were not required to do (i.e. if an electrician does a side job for no extra charge).

What so many people are saying here is that they tip the porters "because they provided a service." I am perplexed by this. If one tips based on this philosophy, how does one decide who to tip and who not to tip. My understanding is that most people providing services are rarely if ever tipped. I just never thought to tip the police when I called them about someone in the alley (maybe they would respond faster next time if I did). I have never given my dental hygienist $1 per tooth she cleans ($2 for large teeth or particularly dirty teeth). I have never gone to the customer service desk at the airport to leave a tip for the baggage handlers who so nicely carried my bag for me off the plane and placed in the conveyor belt so that I would be able to retrieve it at baggage claim.

Assuming people agree that you do not tip the people I just referenced for the service they provide, why do you see the longshoremen at the cruise terminals as people who should be tipped? Like the people in the examples I provided they are simply providing a service that they are already being fully compensated for via their salary. I am certainly not criticizing anybody for tipping them - I am simply trying to understand why. Once I learned how much they earned I thought that people generally tipped them by mistake (thinking they were like skycaps at airports or bellhops at airports and not realizing they were unionized longshoremen using the influence of their union to work as porters at a massive salary rate) and/or were more paying a "bribe' than a tip out of fear their luggage would be "lost." Now reading this thread it seems some people even once they realize this, still feel like they should tip them. I am confused. :confused:

OP, yes we always tip and I believe everyone should be prepared for this situation when they embark on a cruise.

What you could have done was to tell him you'd be right back and gone and changed the $20 for 2 - $10's, and given him one of them (or at least a $5). Someone, somewhere, would have had change. It could have been done and everyone is happy.

Obviously, JMO. :)

#1,first of all I do believe there is a time and place for tipping well, the Port of Miami is not one of those places. And the signs all over the outside of the terminal say so.

#2, those people are being paid very well to provide this service, and if they won't do that job correctly, they should be terminated. If you don't do your job correctly, will your boss still give you a bonus :rolleyes:

#3, Do you tip your travel agent for booking your trip :confused:

The list just keeps getting longer.

I have always thought one tips people in professions where they earn a reduced salary with the expectation the the salary will be subsidized with tips. One also sometimes tips people who earn good salaries if they perform additional duties that they were not required to do (i.e. if an electrician does a side job for no extra charge).

What so many people are saying here is that they tip the porters "because they provided a service." I am perplexed by this. If one tips based on this philosophy, how does one decide who to tip and who not to tip. My understanding is that most people providing services are rarely if ever tipped. I just never thought to tip the police when I called them about someone in the alley (maybe they would respond faster next time if I did). I have never given my dental hygienist $1 per tooth she cleans ($2 for large teeth or particularly dirty teeth). I have never gone to the customer service desk at the airport to leave a tip for the baggage handlers who so nicely carried my bag for me off the plane and placed in the conveyor belt so that I would be able to retrieve it at baggage claim.

Assuming people agree that you do not tip the people I just referenced for the service they provide, why do you see the longshoremen at the cruise terminals as people who should be tipped? Like the people in the examples I provided they are simply providing a service that they are already being fully compensated for via their salary. I am certainly not criticizing anybody for tipping them - I am simply trying to understand why. Once I learned how much they earned I thought that people generally tipped them by mistake (thinking they were like skycaps at airports or bellhops at airports and not realizing they were unionized longshoremen using the influence of their union to work as porters at a massive salary rate) and/or were more paying a "bribe' than a tip out of fear their luggage would be "lost." Now reading this thread it seems some people even once they realize this, still feel like they should tip them. I am confused. :confused:

I completely agree w/Gonzo. I was always happy to tip the porters b/c I was under the assumption that they were paid a reduced wage w/tips to supplement. Then last January in Miami the porter was so incredibly rude to my husband. We had 2 bags (mind you these were carry-on sized) and we tipped $1/bag. The porter told us that it wasn't enough of a tip and we owed him more. I was speechless. My husband gave him extra money b/c we were afraid our luggage wouldn't make it to our stateroom.

Well, now that some very wonderful people on CC have researched the wages of these "porters", I will not be tipping. Unless. the individual goes above and beyond. I think it is fine that so many want to tip regardless of the wages earned by these workers. Nothing wrong w/that. Nor is there anything wrong w/not tipping. Both are fine arguments.

to the correct plane? Not the guy who comes along with a flatbed cart to help you retrieve your luggage off of the carousel (sp?) and helps you get it out to the curb? We tip both of them. Does the one who weighs the luggage make a higher salary than the one who helps you retrieve the bags? I have no idea? We tip the porters even though we know they have nothing to do with getting our luggage to our stateroom by any certain time. Our last cruise (July 5, FOS) we got our luggage later than we have ever received it (after the muster, just before our MTD reservation). That's just the luck of when it got put on the ship, scanned, sniffed (or whatever) and sent up stairs. I would like to not tip the porters if they receive a good salary, they are just doing what they are being paid for not really anything extra. The terminal could just have all of us load our own luggage into the bins and save all of the money they pay the porters. We got it into and out of the car, we could certainly toss it into the bin. Why does it have to go through another set of hands? It is just the thing we have all gotten used to doing and it will take a lot of us to change it.

I wish I had the stones to take the picture of the porter that asks for his "donation" Great idea!!

You keep repeating yourself over and over again. Tipping is a personal choice- I don't have to explain to you why I do or do not tip. Everyone has that right to make that choice for themselves.

What about porters at Ft. Lauderdale? Or New York?

Also, what about tipping the folks who take care of your room at a land based hotel? Do you tip them as well as you tip your cabin steward on a cruise?

I think tipping is a personal decision.

I tip because a couple of dollars won't make or break me and it's a nice thing to do. I don't think about how much they make or whether or not they are members of a union. I just don't see what the big deal is. If you think they are overpaid and you don't want to further subsidize them, don't tip. Considering that everything I can find on tipping etiquette suggests that it is appropriate to tip porters, I'm not sure why you find it so unusual. I have yet to see an etiquette expert recommend tipping the dental hygienist.

You are misunderstanding. I don't feel like I should tip them. I choose to tip them and I don't think it is inappropriate to do so.

I respect your right to not tip and will not be critical of your decision.

The only problem I have ever had was in Bayonne at Port Liberty. We had paid thru RCL for transfer from hotel to port and port to airport. Has I have written before on these threads, we were picked up at hotel at 10:30, left at 11:00, bus drive loaded our luggage on bus, and then drove to Bayonne. We waited on bus in a parking lot until 2:00 before the took us to terminal. Our bus parked around the side of the terminal and not in front like the other busses. We had about 4 - 5 longshoreman get on the bus and request tips before our luggage would be taken off. This was the 4/5 cruise on EOS and there was a lot of Europeans on board that did not speak English. There were getting very upset because they did not understand this. They were told as we were that tipping was included in the priceof the transfer. After about 30 minutes we were finally allowed off the bus and we only tipped the driver as he was also upset. There were a lot of lady longshoreman taking our luggage off bus. Everyone waited until luggage was on a cart and taken to terminal. Nedless to say we finally boarded at 3:15 in time for muster. Worst enbarkation we have ever gone thru. I will never tip anyone that pressures me into it. Had check-in we reported what had happened and they said they would let the powers that be know. Have never heard anything.

#1,first of all I do believe there is a time and place for tipping well, the Port of Miami is not one of those places. And the signs all over the outside of the terminal say so.

I have never seen a sign that says not to tip. I've seen several that suggest tipping is not mandatory and it is at your discretion, but none saying not to.

Example: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124419

I'm on board with Gonzo here... (BTW Gonzo, see you're going to be in Indy for a race?, which one? when? You'll be in my town)

Honestly, we usually sail out of Port Canaveral and there are signs posted that tipping is not expected... so we don't... we've never had problems with our bags...

I think it's a nice gesture to tip them if you are bringing on overly heavy baggage or a large amount of baggage - I believe this would fall under Gonzo's concept of "duties above and beyond"...

How awesome is that??? To be a porter who earns a nice hourly wage and then someone tips you??? That's cash in hand that the IRS never has to know about... unlike servers and hairstylists who must report their tips as part of their wages... Sign me up!

Those of you who do tip them - you've made their day and that's good karma... I'm of the belief that the more good you throw out to your fellow man, the more good you will receive in return...

Go forth and tip fellow cruisers...

I'm on board with Gonzo here... (BTW Gonzo, see you're going to be in Indy for a race?, which one? when? You'll be in my town)

I am hopefully coming to Indy in October for the Indy Half Marathon (they also have a marathon as part of the same race). I did it last year and had a blast. My wife is dealing with a leg injury that is hindering her running so if she is still hurting I may skip out this year (we ran it together last year). We had a fun time last year. We spent the weekend in Indy and will likely do the same this year if we come in for it.

What about porters at Ft. Lauderdale? Or New York?

Also, what about tipping the folks who take care of your room at a land based hotel? Do you tip them as well as you tip your cabin steward on a cruise?

I think tipping is a personal decision.

You are correct, tipping is definitely a personal decision and yes we always tip the housekeeping staff at hotels.

###

You keep repeating yourself over and over again. Tipping is a personal choice- I don't have to explain to you why I do or do not tip. Everyone has that right to make that choice for themselves.

I am not meaning to repeat myself. Yes, everybody absolutely has the right to tip whoever they want. I sometimes for fun tip the bagger at the grocery store and even tipped the guy at the bowling alley once for removing "dead wood" (bowling pins that bounce into the lane).

I was simply asking people (who are willing to do so) to explain why they tip the longshoremen knowing they are receiving a hefty salary for providing the service. I had always assumed people tipped them out of a misconception that they were paid more in line with skycaps and bellmen, but apparently some people still tip even after learning this is not so. There is nothing wrong with me asking people what their reason is for doing so. There is also nothing wrong with people not wanting to share their reason. That is the beauty of this forum.

I was simply asking people (who are willing to do so) to explain why they tip the longshoremen knowing they are receiving a hefty salary for providing the service.

Hey Gonzo, I mean this with all due respect. My former BIL is a Miami porter. He does not make the salary that has been reported on this and the other threads. The guys out front do not make the same salaries as the Stevedores and Longshoremen that actually work on the dock. His salary is only about $9/hr and he has been there for several years.

I am not meaning to repeat myself. Yes, everybody absolutely has the right to tip whoever they want. I sometimes for fun tip the bagger at the grocery store and even tipped the guy at the bowling alley once for removing "dead wood" (bowling pins that bounce into the lane).

I was simply asking people (who are willing to do so) to explain why they tip the longshoremen knowing they are receiving a hefty salary for providing the service. I had always assumed people tipped them out of a misconception that they were paid more in line with skycaps and bellmen, but apparently some people still tip even after learning this is not so. There is nothing wrong with me asking people what their reason is for doing so. There is also nothing wrong with people not wanting to share their reason. That is the beauty of this forum.

Gonzo70, it has been a pleasure debating this issue with you! Although we disagree on this topic, it would be my pleasure to cruise with you in the future!

Archived