To Tip or not to Tip the Porters...that is the question

Yeah, you mentioned that on another thread. The Port of Miami informed myself (and other posters who checked with them) that the people serving as porters for cruise passengers are unionized longshoremen. Several web sites also state this. Are you sure your former BIL worked taking cruise passengers' luggage? I am a teamster myself, so I know how protective unions are of gigs that they have. Maybe it is possible that at times the Port needs to hire some temporary "extras" to assist if they are short regular staff, but it seems odd that the Port would be informing the public they are all unionized longshoremen and that there are multiple articles about this.

Not sure if you are still in touch with him, but if so I'd be curious what he says if you ask him specifically if he was involved in taking luggage from passengers as they arrive for cruises.

Yes, I am sure. He has done it for several years, so he is by no means an "extra." I bring a little bit of personal knowledge to this subject because I have yet to see anyone else say that they know or are related to any of the porters. I am....and I know how my BIL lives. Choose not to believe me. That's fine. But for anyone else willing to listen to reason, I guarantee you all that the people working curbside do not make the handsome salaries that the people on the docks make.

I don't mind tipping the porters at the terminal, we usually have 2 bags (besides our carryon) and we almost always tip $5.

And after debarkation, if the porter grabs our bags off the conveyor and leads us to the right spot to wait for our shuttle we tip a little more than $5.

Gonzo, I agree with you. This subject gets more attention on these boards than I think almost any other and the one that seems to be guided by emotion rather than logic. This thread of course deals with Porters and as you mentioned and they are well paid for what they do, even without Tips. I can't figure it out either. Tip if you want, or save your Tip for someone doing some real work (service) for you.

I think maybe this issue gets a lot of attention because it's still confusing for some people and still doesn't seem to have a definitive answer.

For someone like me - an infrequently travelling Brit - the helpful posts on here are invaluable. I'm unpleasantly surprised by some posters who "can't believe that someone is asking this"; why shouldn't people be able to ask questions if they're new, infrequent travellers, or from a different country and therefore different tipping culture? I appreciate all (polite) advice. There's no need for such rudeness by certain posters.

Well, even though this wasn't my thread, it's been helpful. I think I'll try to find out whether tipping is desired and customary at Port Canaveral, and if there are signs saying not to tip, I won't be "donating". I only donate to registered charities of my choice.

If on the other hand it is desirable and customary to tip at PC then tip I will! :)

Our last cruise out of Cape Liberity as we have done in the past we went over to load our bags on one of the racks. One bag was on and I was about to place the other when one guy came over and took it off. He stated that it was his rack and alm,ost demeand money. His words basicly "I will enusre you will see your bags on the ship".

We have never run into this at any other Port but the peole behind us who cruise out of the New York area said he was not kidding. They had heard of peoples bags not making the ship. So they strongly suggest we tip a couple of dollars per bag.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Should these porters get tips or not? I have heard that they are well paid, but how do I really know that. Last year, when arriving at the port in Miami for our Liberty cruise, I really didn't have any small bills on me. I wasn't going to give the porter $20 for taking our bags (we maybe had 3 of them). Needless to say, he kinda looked at me (you know the look like "you're not gonna tip me") and two of our bags didn't make it to the room until 11PM. Coincidence or not, I'm not sure...

Without reading anyone elses comments, I have to say that I don't think they deserve the tip, but since we only take 2 bags and tip $1 per bag, it's not such a big deal to shell out $2. Shuts them up with no questions asked. Since they handle thousands of bags every time a ship is in, I'm sure it's great money for the day, but hey I don't want to argue about what a person makes or doesn't make.

That your bag didn't make it to the cabin until late has nothing to do with your not tipping, all the bags are loaded into bins and are onboard before the ship sails. The porters receiving your bags in port don't go onto the ship, the bags are delivered by cabin attendants. Too bad we don't wait and tip them for the service, they handle our bags a longer time than the porters do. Maybe we'll start adding a bit more extra for baggage handling, they do it for on and off the ship and it is a lot of work for them.

It could be that your bags were in the bottom of the bin ( for instance if you checked in real early) or even your bags were delivered to the wrong cabin and it took some time to correct.

We avoid the porters like the plague upon disembarkation, have no need for them to wheel our bags 50-100 feet and unceremoniously dump them on the curb.

Hi Spanner 14

We were at Port Canaveral last year. We were is the same position wondering if we would tip or not. We noticed the guys had badges on advising us NOT to tip. So guess when we did not!

It could not been any clearer to us!

We always tip our porters. I just feel like they deserve it. I know they make good in tips but they are out there in the heat or cold weather doing hard work and for me they deserve a tip. Plus not everyone is nice or kind to them.

If you don't tip and you do not get your luggage you have only yourself to blame.

So I guess what you are promoting is black mail!

If i decide to put my luggage in the bins my self why should I not be allowed?

I have never seen a sign that says not to tip. I've seen several that suggest tipping is not mandatory and it is at your discretion, but none saying not to.

If my memory serves me correctly, the signs say TIPPING IS NOT NECESSARY. Now you can interpret that as not mandatory. To me that means I don't have too.

Not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic but yes, we always tip the housekeeping staff in our hotel room. We leave it each day instead of at the end of our stay in case someone else cleans our room each day.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I know many people that don't tip housekeeping in land based hotels, but don't think twice about tipping porters, etc. As someone else said, I'm a big believer in karma, so I always tip well, but that's just me. :D I don't look at it as a bribe or anything; I just feel like I'm really lucky to be on vacation and a few bucks won't hurt me. Again, I think it's personal, and am not affected either way by what anyone else does.

So I guess what you are promoting is black mail!

If i decide to put my luggage in the bins my self why should I not be allowed?

So you're a fan of threats, blackmail or extortion? Nice!:rolleyes:

I am not condoning threats, blackmail or extortion this is just a fact. I personally witnessed someone arguing with a porter about tipping. It was post cruise and the porter was claiming the cruise passinger did not tip him and the passinger said he did. The bus got to the Palm Beach stop and guess what? No luggage for the man. So if you don't tip you have that right but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I am not condoning threats, blackmail or extortion this is just a fact. I personally witnessed someone arguing with a porter about tipping. It was post cruise and the porter was claiming the cruise passinger did not tip him and the passinger said he did. The bus got to the Palm Beach stop and guess what? No luggage for the man. So if you don't tip you have that right but I would rather be safe than sorry.

And hopefully that porter was fired and/or arrested.

I think i'll given them an even BIGGER tip next time lol

jj......

Wow, that is sad. Either you are trying to stir the pot and are being faceitious or, if you do have extra money to hand out, it is odd that you would choose to give to people earning six-figure salaries with top knotch benefits when there are so many people truly in need.

Why is $5-10 such a big deal for you gonzo ?

jj....

It has nothing to do with the amount of money. Longshoremen are not a profession that is supposed to be tipped (unless they do something out of the ordinary for you that is not part of what they are already being generously paid to do). As stated before, I would not tip them for their routine service any more than I would tip the captain of the ship, the dishwashers on the ship, the cruise director or any other person who provides me a service, but already receives a full salary to cover that service.

If you went to a restaurant that said on the menu that the waiters were paid a good salary and tipping is not expected, would you still tip 15%-20% for normal quality service? Would you ridicule and belittle others at the restaurant if they did not tip? If you are obsessed with giving your money away to people who earn six figures for the "service" of pushing your luggage a few yards on a cart, have at it. I am not sure why you feel the need to continue to badger and insult me. I am starting to think you perhaps are one of the longshoremen. :rolleyes:

If my memory serves me correctly, the signs say TIPPING IS NOT NECESSARY. Now you can interpret that as not mandatory. To me that means I don't have too.

I posted a link to another member's picture in my post. It shows one of the signs.

Wow, that is sad. Either you are trying to stir the pot and are being faceitious or, if you do have extra money to hand out, it is odd that you would choose to give to people earning six-figure salaries with top knotch benefits when there are so many people truly in need.

Once again, the porters do not make 6 figure salaries. Once again, I am related to one of them. :rolleyes:

You know what...nevermind. Do what you want.

As i said before i'd care what they earn i believe they work reasonably hard and i'm happy to tip.

Whats your reason for not tipping apart from their salary - do you ask everyone or enquire what people earn before deciding nah their on a good enough salary i don't need to tip ?

jj........

And hopefully that porter was fired and/or arrested.
I don't know but I think not. Palm Beach is 1.5 hours north and the man got off at the stop that is a McDonald's parking lot, unless he got the porters name I think he is SOL. Again I do not condone this,and only trying to warn people that you are dealing with Longshoremen and they don't like being stiffed. Enough said by me on this subject.

As i said before i'd care what they earn i believe they work reasonably hard and i'm happy to tip.

Whats your reason for not tipping apart from their salary - do you ask everyone or enquire what people earn before deciding nah their on a good enough salary i don't need to tip ?

jj........

This will be my last response to you as you obviously don't get it. If you base your decision to tip ONLY on whether or not someone provides you a service, then you would be tipping the cruise director, activity staff, dishawashers, chef, assistant chefs, guest relations staff etc. When you go to a professional sporting event, do you tip the athletes? Obviously you do not tip these people. The reason you don't tip these people is because you know they earn a full salary (you don't need to know their specific individual salaries - but you know that they have full salaries that are not expected to be subsidized by tips). I never ask anybody what their individual salary is, but before travelling I do study up to see what types of people that I am likely to encounter should be tipped.

You are mistakenly equating the "porters" at the cruise terminal as being the equivalent of skycaps at the airport and bellmen at hotles. They are not. They are longshoremen. They are more akin to the captain of the ship and activity staff on the ship. If you are too stubborn to realize this, then keep giving away your money. Put them into your will for all I care. I am done listening to your obnoxious and repetative comments. Fortunately several others have chimed in that they understand what is occurring. Maybe one day you will too.

I don't know but I think not. Palm Beach is 1.5 hours north and the man got off at the stop that is a McDonald's parking lot, unless he got the porters name I think he is SOL. Again I do not condone this,and only trying to warn people that you are dealing with Longshoremen and they don't like being stiffed. Enough said by me on this subject.

Yes, if he didn't get the name it would be tough. This is why guest relations in Port of Miami is urging people to get a porter's name and/or picture if the porter makes a comment implying there will be negative consequences for not tipping and then alert security or call customer service to report the issue. Not a fun thing to have to do while on vacation, but I am not one to put up with someone trying to extort money from me and making veiled threats. I'd rather spend a few minutes dealing with the person. I can see how others might rather pay the $5 to $10 "bribe" and move on. Nothing wrong with going about it one way or the other; everybody has the choice to do what feels best for themself.

Archived