Computers & Internet on Ship to Check Email??

We are first time cruisers who will be departing on the Oosterdam next week.

Can you tell us if there is anywhere on the ship where we can check our email? (We are not taking a laptop with us.)

Also, any idea what the cost would be? Is there any kind of minutes package we would be able to purchase?

Thanks!!!

Yes there are computers on the ship for internet access, checking email etc. There is a per minute fee as well as several packages that sell set numer of minuets at a discount to the straight by the minute fee.

Didn't realize it would be that expensive!!!

Are there perhaps internet cafes in the ports that would be less expensive??

Yes, and often very close to the docks. There you can expect to pay $5 to $6 per hour.

Often the crew will know where the best ones are, so ask your dining room waiter or cabin steward a day or two before each port. If he doesn't know, often he can ask a buddy.

For starters, use your cell phone only in US ports or else you will be paying additional connection charges via the ships cell phone tower. The ship tower is turned off while in port so your cell phone will connect via a shore tower at regular US rates.

I travel with a laptop to download all photos and connect to the internet via my cell phone (T-Mobile @19.95) whenever I reach a US port to read email.

Archived